Neck Question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Zanth View Post
    It doesn't help that my dog just doesn't care too much for snacks! I have it all, freeze dried liver, chicken, salmon, lamb lung... He just couldn't be bothered. I have to starve him for over half the day if I want to get any training done.If he's tired or one of the cats walks by, all focus is out the window. Distraction training will be rough with this boy.
    Asaah is not at all food motivated either, definitely makes it more challenging. Good thing she's practically perfect anyway! Does he like any toys or is praise good enough? Otherwise, starve him good before any distraction training
    sigpic
    Chaucey
    Asaah ~ xxx Asaah LaLa, CGC, registered therapy dog

Comment

Fortunately he's a very mellow temperament and easy going. He has become very socially aware* with our facial expressions and tones.

Toys and praise work about as well as food. I will give him hotdog or chicken and he will spit it out if there is another dog or child around! Hopefully it's just his age. I hear he's in the "brat" stage. He is great though, leash walking is stellar even in busy environments. Recall is improving and so is his overall behavior. He's a good listener once taught a command. People are always impressed when I say he's only 5 months. But if I plan to work him or teach a new trick, he basically has to get fed earlier dinner the night before and not eat for 12-18 hours before he cares enough about food. I spoil him rotten after

I hear food becomes more interesting to them with age. I'd love to start agility once he's matured. Here's hoping!
      Last edited by Zanth; 02-07-2015, 08:38 PM.
      sigpic

Comment

Fortunately he's a very mellow temperament and easy going. He has become very socially away with our facial expressions and tones.

Toys and praise work about as well as food. I will give him hotdog or chicken and he will spit it out if there is another dog or child around! Hopefully it's just his age. I hear he's in the "brat" stage. He is great though, leash walking is stellar even in busy environments. Recall is improving and so is his overall behavior. He's a good listener once taught a command. People are always impressed when I say he's only 5 months. But if I plan to work him or teach a new trick, he basically has to get fed earlier dinner the night before and not eat for 12-18 hours before he cares enough about food. I spoil him rotten after

I hear food becomes more interesting to them with age. I'd love to start agility once he's matured. Here's hoping!
        Well, Asaah is 2 ½ and still doesn't care about treats! But Finn loved food from day 1 and never stopped. I call him my Hoover puppy
        sigpic
        Chaucey

Comment

Ferg has never met a treat he didn't like, especially if it is in my hand. Eisen will eat just about anything, toys and clothes included, along with the hand that is holding it, but distractions will completely derail an entire training session. I'm having pure hell teaching him to down
          sigpic
          Fergus
          SC Dinnie Stone Guardian, CGC
          Eisen Shark
          C Shadows On The Sun, CGC

Comment

Have you tried bleu cheese? I swear Lola would do anything for a bit of stinky cheese. My brother's dog was not treat motivated, but pepperoni finally did the trick.

Comment

Originally posted by jrturk View Post
              Have you tried bleu cheese? I swear Lola would do anything for a bit of stinky cheese. My brother's dog was not treat motivated, but pepperoni finally did the trick.
              Beware the Bleu cheese farts!!!
              sigpic
              Fergus
              Eisen Shark

Comment

I've used bleu cheese for Finn, but quit because he loves all food equally and it's messy. Asaah likes various cheeses more than most other stuff, and also hot dogs, but sometimes she just spits them out or won't even take the treat! Still hoping to find something that really motivates her, we're also having a heck of a time with down.
                sigpic
                Chaucey

Comment

Maybe I'll do cheese- it won't be too much calcium? Fortunately if khan is in the mood he's a great learner. His basic obedience is very solid.
                  sigpic

Comment

Maybe I'll do cheese- it won't be too much calcium? Fortunately if khan is in the mood he's a great learner. His basic obedience is very solid.
                    String cheese (especially sharp cheddar) is freaking FABULOUS for training. It travels well, comes individually wrapped, and most dogs like the stink.
                    sigpic
                    Fergus
                    Eisen Shark

Comment

i don't think the small quantities of cheese will matter much with regards to calcium or protein.. moderation!

khan's feet look a little easty-westy to me. anyone else noticing it? it could just be the stack though.
                      sigpic

my beautiful blue-eyed babe

Comment

Originally posted by michlhw View Post
                        i don't think the small quantities of cheese will matter much with regards to calcium or protein.. moderation!

khan's feet look a little easty-westy to me. anyone else noticing it? it could just be the stack though.
                        I think maybe I've seen some "extreme" easy-westy dogs, so Khan's feet, even when examining the pictures a second time, look pretty normal to me.

As far as stacking? I want to take a conformation class with Zoomer in the summer and will be so excited if I can get him to stack, lol! As of now, he only stacks for squirrels (briefly), large birds like cranes or herons, giant vehicles on the beach, and surfers emerging from the ocean. Well, back when we visited those places, at any rate. Our vet put us in the clear weeks ago as far as letting Zoomer out and and about, but we are still being very cautious. Two more months to go!
                        -Lisa (Zoomer's mom)

Comment

Originally posted by lisacp75 View Post
                          I think maybe I've seen some "extreme" easy-westy dogs, so Khan's feet, even when examining the pictures a second time, look pretty normal to me.

As far as stacking? I want to take a conformation class with Zoomer in the summer and will be so excited if I can get him to stack, lol! As of now, he only stacks for squirrels (briefly), large birds like cranes or herons, giant vehicles on the beach, and surfers emerging from the ocean. Well, back when we visited those places, at any rate. Our vet put us in the clear weeks ago as far as letting Zoomer out and and about, but we are still being very cautious. Two more months to go!
                          Put 101 Dalmatians on tv. It works every time for Fergus lol.
                          sigpic
                          Fergus
                          Eisen Shark

Comment

Originally posted by SuzanneRM82 View Post
                            Put 101 Dalmatians on tv. It works every time for Fergus lol.
                            LMAO!!! We will try your method Suzanne, ha ha.
                            -Lisa (Zoomer's mom)

Comment

Originally posted by michlhw View Post

I think he was doing that from discomfort. I've never tried to stack him before or held his collar that way. These photos were taken with him being pretty squirmy! His feet are a bit straighter in person.

He seems to self stack when he's playing with his girlfriend (a 5 month malinois). Its almost like he's showing off! He will wrestle with her then back up and pose.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X