1st Conformation Class

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1st Conformation Class

Holly starts conformation class on thursday. I am very excited! It should be interesting... the only club in my area that offers conformation classes is a toy breed club. SOOO we are going to stick out like a sore thumb!!! But the president told me that anyone who loves doggies are welcome!

I know to definitely bring her show lead. What other things should we bring?? I really hope I don't make a fool of myself!!!
    -Katie, Holly, and Millie
    Houndstooth Great Danes
    Member of the Great Dane Club of Louisiana

sigpic

TOO CUTE!!!! I would bring some treats if she is food driven or a small toy if she is toy driven and maybe a bowl with some water from home... I really hope someone is going with you to take some pictures!! Good luck!
    Lisa & Jack

Comment

Thank you!! My hubby or mom is going with me... so hopefully, we will be able to get a lot of good pics!!!
      Houndstooth Great Danes

sigpic

Comment

Do you know how many dogs are in your class? Holly is going to tower over everyone!

Comment

I think you will be fine! There will be others there who are new to the whole thing too, obviously. We are going to need pictures!!
          sigpic

Comment

If you are outdoors and it's still hot, bring a spray bottle to keep her cool. Since she's still small, if you have a pretty big chamois (that's wet, but not dripping wet) that you can drape over her while in the sidelines, that will be good to have. Once she's bigger, invest in a cool coat for those hot show days. Oh, bring some poop bags too! Bring your sense of humor and patience too because it takes a while to get them used to being stacked and then gaited. Have fun!
            Gary
            sigpic Cooper 2 years old
            "Turner" Great Dane DOB: 4/7/2008
            "Cooper" Great Dane DOB: 11/20/2010
            "Lady" Beagle DOB: 8/24/2009
            "Penny" Miniature Bull Terrier DOB: 8/17/2010

Comment

Originally posted by LMC528 View Post
              Do you know how many dogs are in your class? Holly is going to tower over everyone!
              I know!! Maybe it will help her to realize her size... or not

I'm not sure... but I know atleast 5-10. She sent out an email reminder and there were probably 10-12 email addresses (SP? ... my brain is taking a nap...)
              Houndstooth Great Danes

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by gmromerosa View Post
                If you are outdoors and it's still hot, bring a spray bottle to keep her cool. Since she's still small, if you have a pretty big chamois (that's wet, but not dripping wet) that you can drape over her while in the sidelines, that will be good to have. Once she's bigger, invest in a cool coat for those hot show days. Oh, bring some poop bags too! Bring your sense of humor and patience too because it takes a while to get them used to being stacked and then gaited. Have fun!
                100& agree!! Have fun with it!

Comment

Originally posted by gmromerosa View Post

GREAT IDEA!! It has been so super duper hot!!! And we will be outside. We had a heat advisory yesterday of 115 heat index! SO ITS A LITTLE WARM!

Also, I didn't even think about poop bags! I don't want to the "THAT LADY" who doesn't pick up after her doggie !
                  Houndstooth Great Danes

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BlueBell View Post
                    Also, I didn't even think about poop bags! I don't want to the "THAT LADY" who doesn't pick up after her doggie !
                    hehehe if its a orginization they SHOULD supply poop bags, BUT I agree, be on the safe side and bring a couple with ya! I know Jack gets a little nervous in new enviroments and poops a little more than usual! hehe

Comment

I think you will like being in a class with toy dogs - might help Holly keep her focus. We're in obedience classes and there are three other dogs in the class...a yorkie, shih tzu, and a boston terrier...LOL! In my case, anyway, Scarlett doesn't get as excited about little dogs as she does about bigger dogs. If it was all bigger dogs, she would want to play the whole time.

HAVE FUN!!!! Can't wait to see pics.
                      Katie & Scarlett
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlett's Mum View Post
                        I think you will like being in a class with toy dogs - might help Holly keep her focus. We're in obedience classes and there are three other dogs in the class...a yorkie, shih tzu, and a boston terrier...LOL! In my case, anyway, Scarlett doesn't get as excited about little dogs as she does about bigger dogs. If it was all bigger dogs, she would want to play the whole time.

HAVE FUN!!!! Can't wait to see pics.

I sort of thought it could be really good or really bad with it being little dogs!! She may think "Ooooo!!! A SQUIRREL!!!"
                        Houndstooth Great Danes

sigpic

Comment

Here's my list:

Show lead
                          Spray bottle for water
                          Cooler with shammy (I use the Asorber Giant, you can buy it at the Auto Parts store)
                          Poop Bags (I use Walmart bags)
                          Bait (several different kinds - something easily eaten, not crunchy; hot dog pieces, Bil Jac treats, Clifford treats)
                          Regular leash and collar
                          AND THE BIG ONE, SEVERAL SPIT RAGS (Regular wash clothes)

Good luck, have fun and don't think you need to be perfect on the first class.

Just a tip, danes show with the leash on the side, not the top like toy dogs. LOL
                          Nancy
                          Calico Rock Danes
                          Alabama

Comment

What fun! You're going to have a blast Like Nancy said, definitely don't forget a drool rag--I usually use my old wash-cloth shaped ones. I bought new fancy ones but they're definitely not made for this purpose! New ones absorb the drool and stay wet. Old gross-looking ones usually do the job best (unfortunately lol!).

You've been given some of the best advice around! Don't get serious and keep it fun!
                            Since it's yours & her first class, you're probably going to want to take it very slow with her...depending on your girl's personality. For the first class, if she's really distracted or really hyper or stressed, just focus on keeping her standing in the line and when you're told to stack her, pick each paw slightly let it drop back down. If she's doing great and you really want to formally stack her keep it short and sweet and make it FUN! Just telling you because I wish I would have been a little more easy going for my boy's first classes

Good luck and have fun
                            Elysé & Emmett
                            sigpic

Comment

Yes Calicorock had a good one: regular collar and leash!! When we (me and Jackie) get to handling class she is soooooo excited to see everyone that if I walked her from the car to the ring with her show collar, she'd probably snap it! Once we get to the ring and she says her hellos, we switch and go into the ring.

You might want to practice just a little bit with the show collar on her before you go. There are different types of collars, and each pup responds differently to each one. I can use a regular slip on Jax, but the real thin leather/cord hurts Mel's throat. Mel needs a half inch martingale so she doesn't cough. Good thing to find out BEFORE class!

Have fun! Let us know how it goes!!
                              sigpic
                              Still looks frozen to me.....

We didn't do it It was the cats...

Comment

Working...
                              X