How do you know...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you know...

We purchased a Harlequin female who is almost 8 weeks old, named Qyn. I now think the breeder may have overstated the pup's qualities. I am not really upset about that because I love my puppy no matter what, but how do I know whether she has any show potential or not??
    Last edited by Qyn's Owner; 12-21-2017, 05:08 PM.

Does her breeder show? Did the breeder do all the health testing on parents? What's the pedigree? If the breeder doesn't show then it isn't likely they know show potential..also you got the puppy before it was 8 weeks old.. I would suggest contacting a Great Dane club near you and getting a mentor and someone who has experience and can do an actual evaluation of your puppy and go over pedigree with you.
    sigpic
    Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
    Associate Member GDCNE
    Member GSPCA
    Member NAVHDA
    Member Central Maine Kennel Club
    High Hopes Great Danes & German Shorthairs

Comment

Thank you so much for the information! He said all the health testing has been done on parents. He said he used to show for many years, Her litter was registered and I am registering her. Doesn't look like either parent was a champion. Mom was a Black and Dad was a Harlequin. I had already found and bookmarked the local great dane club and will, as you suggest, contact and see if I can get someone to help me out. Again, thank you so much.

Comment

Did the breeder show you actual proof that the health testing had been done and passed? This is very important..Yes definitely find an experienced mentor.
        sigpic
        Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
        Associate Member GDCNE
        Member GSPCA
        Member NAVHDA

Comment

I will text him and ask for the papers. Thanks. I contacted Memphis AKC and am awaiting a response. Again, thank you so much.

Comment

if you have the registered names of the parents you can check on the OFA site yourself to see if they have been tested or not.
            sigpic
            Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
            Associate Member GDCNE
            Member GSPCA
            Member NAVHDA

Comment

Working...
            X