No announcement yet.

Well-bred blue, eye color development?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well-bred blue, eye color development?

So I have two more weeks to go before I bring my new blue boy home. Some will recall that I mentioned wanting a blue-eyed blue, without realizing (I've always been a harlequin guy) that was both rare and a sign of mixed breeding.

So of the pups, I chose a boy who has bright, bright blue eyes, something the breeder says she's never seen in her litters. The darker blue "puppy eye" color, sure - the others have that. (I chose the pup for many reasons, not for the eye color.)

So assuming no traces of mixed-color breeding, how will a blue with these bright, light blue eyes turn out vs. the ones that have the more standard puppy eye color? Lighter hazel? Or will it make no difference in a year?

The eyes darken as they age. They aren't going to stay that color of blue.

Comment

Originally posted by CarolB View Post
      The eyes darken as they age. They aren't going to stay that color of blue.
      I know that, but as blues often have lighter hazel eyes, does the bright blue as a pup mean a tendency towards lighter adult eyes, darker ones (seems unlikely)... or not much difference in the end?
      Last edited by DanePillow; 06-12-2016, 04:52 PM.

Comment

Blue dane pup eyes darken. How dark? You'll know when you get there! Just like height, weight, etc. No idea. Anything told to you at this point would be just a guess.
        sigpic

Comment

Blues have lighter eyes than non-blues and this is because the dilution gene that dilutes the black pigment in their coats also dilutes the pigment in their eyes. Because of this, it is acceptable for them to exhibit lighter eyes than non-blues and unfortunately some judges don't realize this.

That said, there is a range of eye color even within the blue gene pool. I have a bit of a spectrum in my own house. Belle has nice dark eyes while Athena's are noticeably lighter. Jasmine's are lighter than Trinity's whose aren't quite as dark as Belle's (yet, but she is young still and they will continue to darken still).

As far as correctness goes - the darker the better. Extremely light eye color in blues is a fault.

Blue puppy eyes will darken assuming there is not a medical issue going on. They should not be blue at all as adults, just a range of brown and lighter brown with what can look like specks of blue/green. They should never be yellow.

If this is a pet puppy, don't worry about it. If this was a show prospect who might be considered in a breeding program sometime down the road then it would be something to take into consideration.
          *Jennifer*
          Member GDC of Mid-Florida
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DanePillow View Post
            So I have two more weeks to go before I bring my new blue boy home. Some will recall that I mentioned wanting a blue-eyed blue, without realizing (I've always been a harlequin guy) that was both rare and a sign of mixed breeding.

So of the pups, I chose a boy who has bright, bright blue eyes, something the breeder says she's never seen in her litters. The darker blue "puppy eye" color, sure - the others have that. (I chose the pup for many reasons, not for the eye color.)

So assuming no traces of mixed-color breeding, how will a blue with these bright, light blue eyes turn out vs. the ones that have the more standard puppy eye color? Lighter hazel? Or will it make no difference in a year?
            Sounds like a beautiful Dane. After talking to the breeder did it seem like his eyes are blue because of mixed breeding or just a genetic mutation? Based on what the breeder said it seems that they are unfamiliar with this pigmentation as well. Is his coat exteremly light as well?

Sorry for all the questions, just interested!

Comment

Working...
            X