Marking question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marking question

This is Sophia. She's 8 weeks and I'm trying to figure out what her coloring would be called. I thought black with white belly and feet but now I'm thinking she's a mantle with a black face. If I remember correctly her dad was mantle but I can't remember for anything what her mom looked like. What would you opinions be?
    Attached Files

I'm thinking black, but could be totally wrong. Even though it's called black, some Danes can have white patches on them. My dad's Dane is a black one, but she has white on her chest and her back paw. Mantle's kinda half and half, while black is mostly black.
    sigpic
    Willow and Liv

Comment

Mantle is a pattern. Does he have a white tip on his tail? The pattern creates a white collar, white feet, white mask and blaze, and white tail tip. Preferably the collar is full, but can be broken or not complete. Yours is probably black with white markings, so a mismarked black, although with those big white paws, ya never know. Got a full body pic?

I'm a little confused why you can't remember the parents? Did you not get to see them in person? Also, your breeder really should be able to tell you what color dogs they are producing otherwise I'd say they aren't that good at what they do. :\
      Last edited by Sparrow; 01-25-2016, 05:09 PM.
      ~ Lisa & Rupert

Comment

She's a cutie!

Mismarked black

Comment

This looks like a black with white markings, or mismarked black. How was she registered by the breeder?
          sigpic
          Chaucey
          Asaah ~ xxx Asaah LaLa, CGC, registered therapy dog

Comment

Originally posted by Sparrow View Post
            Mantle is a pattern. Does he have a white tip on his tail? The pattern creates a white collar, white feet, white mask and blaze, and white tail tip. Preferably the collar is full, but can be broken or not complete. Yours is probably black with white markings, so a mismarked black, although with those big white paws, ya never know. Got a full body pic?

I'm a little confused why you can't remember the parents? Did you not get to see them in person? Also, your breeder really should be able to tell you what color dogs they are producing otherwise I'd say they aren't that good at what they do. :\
            I know mantle is a pattern. She does have a white tip on her tail, that's what lead me to question. I did see the parents in person, but I have a horrible memory and I can only remember the dad.

She isn't registered but her parents were. She came from an accidental breed of his dogs, and he didn't register them and I don't plan on it. She will never be bred or be anything more than a pet or member of our family.

Comment

Originally posted by kaisersmomma View Post
              She's a cutie!

Mismarked black
              Thank you! I think she's gorgeous! I love her sleek fur and her sweet face!

Comment

Originally posted by oshagcj914 View Post
                This looks like a black with white markings, or mismarked black. How was she registered by the breeder?
                She isn't registered but her parents are registered. I didn't get her from a breeder just a guy who accidently bred his pups before his girl was fixed. He said he intends to get her spayed but that's not my concern. TBH.

Comment

Originally posted by landerson26 View Post
                  I know mantle is a pattern. She does have a white tip on her tail, that's what lead me to question. I did see the parents in person, but I have a horrible memory and I can only remember the dad.

She isn't registered but her parents were. She came from an accidental breed of his dogs, and he didn't register them and I don't plan on it. She will never be bred or be anything more than a pet or member of our family.
                  If her tail tip is white, she's a mismarked mantle.

Oh, and if she's from an accidental breeding of un-health tested dogs, look into health insurance now. It could save you from a lot of financial hardship and vet bills in the future.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Hiraeth View Post
                    If her tail tip is white, she's a mismarked mantle.

Oh, and if she's from an accidental breeding of un-health tested dogs, look into health insurance now. It could save you from a lot of financial hardship and vet bills in the future.
                    That's what I was thinking about the tail tip. I really didnt question her coloring at all until I was reading about the colorings more. She also has a strip of white that comes up her chin and around her bottom lip but doesnt quite make it to the muzzle. Thats why i originally thought black with white feet and chest.
                    I've been reading into pet insurance too. I'm going to talk to my husband today and see what we can get started. I do hope to have her tested for health problems and we are running the first set of tests on her now and I'm hoping for results from her dna testing soon. Only time will tell and I hope our baby girl is healthy for a long time. Thank you for the replies.

Comment

That's what I was thinking about the tail tip. I really didnt question her coloring at all until I was reading about the colorings more. She also has a strip of white that comes up her chin and around her bottom lip but doesnt quite make it to the muzzle. Thats why i originally thought black with white feet and chest.
                      I've been reading into pet insurance too. I'm going to talk to my husband today and see what we can get started. I do hope to have her tested for health problems and we are running the first set of tests on her now and I'm hoping for results from her dna testing soon. Only time will tell and I hope our baby girl is healthy for a long time. Thank you for the replies.
                      That does sound more like mismarked mantle than mismarked black. I have Embrace for my pet insurance for both Danes and I'm happy with it so far. You can do a search for insurance. There are a lot of threads with good information about it here.
                      sigpic
                      Chaucey
                      Asaah ~ xxx Asaah LaLa, CGC, registered therapy dog

Comment

She isn't registered but her parents are registered. I didn't get her from a breeder just a guy who accidently bred his pups before his girl was fixed. He said he intends to get her spayed but that's not my concern. TBH.
                        It's all our concern, the whole world, every dog lover out there, to be concerned about and actively try to stop the pet over-population problem. As dane lovers, even more so if it's a dane involved. Dane rescues are filled to the brim with danes produced accidentally, or deliberately for a fast buck. You can't force this guy to spay his dane, but you can highly encourage it and actively try save that girl from a life of producing puppies for cash until she's worn out. TBH.
                        Tracy
                        sigpic
                        Mouse April 2010
                        Echo -- run free, Sweetie! Jan 9, 2007 - April 24, 2014 Lost to osteosarcoma at 7 years, 3 months. RIP.

Comment

I'm curious- what sort of health problems are you testing for? Most serious issues don't show up until the dog is older. Or are you just doing basic puppy stuff?
                          sigpic
                          Fergus
                          SC Dinnie Stone Guardian, CGC
                          Eisen Shark
                          C Shadows On The Sun, CGC

Comment

Originally posted by mnmouse View Post
                            It's all our concern, the whole world, every dog lover out there, to be concerned about and actively try to stop the pet over-population problem. As dane lovers, even more so if it's a dane involved. Dane rescues are filled to the brim with danes produced accidentally, or deliberately for a fast buck. You can't force this guy to spay his dane, but you can highly encourage it and actively try save that girl from a life of producing puppies for cash until she's worn out. TBH.
                            It's really not my business and there isn't anything I can say or do to that man to make him spay his girl. He said he planned to and that he regretted that she got pregnant in the first place. He was selling at a very low price because he was covering the extra costs from feeding his girl and then having to hand feed them after their mama rejected them too early.
                            Also, I don't need the snark from people online who think I must not be as good of a dog lover as them because it's not my business how someone over 200 miles away deals with their dogs. Yes, I realize the shelters are full and yes I realize overpopulation is a problem. My goal is to make the difference that I can for the dogs that I have, not try to goad everyone else into feeling guilty for not feeling responsible for every dog on the planet. Would I help if I could? Of course! But for now that means giving an unwanted dane who would've ended up in a shelter if no one took her and giving her the best home I can. I came to this forum asking for opinions about her coloring not looking for the Internet glare of judgment for not staying on top of a perfect stranger to get his dog spayed, which I repeat he said he planned to do. Sorry if this came off a bid rude, but really getting in a huff over me not staying on top of someone I don't even know over something that is none of my business is really just silly.

Comment

I didn't snark or huff. I was polite and informative. You CAN make a difference. In your dogs and maybe this one other dane. The problem won't go away or even get better if people don't make it their business to stop or prevent harmful practices.

This forum focuses on protecting danes. A lot of us are directly involved in rescuing and making loving and giving and protection a way of life. When you express it's none of your business and you can't make a difference (which you can, it is within your heart if you follow it) it does come off as a bit uncaring and dismissive.
                              Tracy
                              sigpic
                              Mouse April 2010
                              Echo -- run free, Sweetie! Jan 9, 2007 - April 24, 2014 Lost to osteosarcoma at 7 years, 3 months. RIP.

Comment

Working...
                              X