Color vs. Temperment

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Color vs. Temperment

In your opinion or experiance what tempermemt traights are in the diff. colors.

there is no greater majesty than a dane

RE: Color vs. Temperment

The facts are that color is not genetically linked to temperament.

With that said, you may find like characteristics in dogs who share the same or similar pedigree. However, those characterics are not linked to the color of the dog.

Cindy
    sigpic

Comment

No you misunderstand me i dont mean the coor has ANYTHING to do with the temperment but in danes that are say pure fawn tend to act differant that say mantle. Because blood lines tend to overlap you get more of a localized temperment within that color. But not that is has to do with the color but the blood lines.

Comment

Like said temperament is in the lines not color theirs good and bad in every color.
        http://www.xceldanes.com/XCelLogoSignature.jpg
        Lisa
        www.xceldanes.com
        sigpicLisa
        www.xceldanes.com

Comment

>No you misunderstand me i dont mean the coor has ANYTHING to
          >do with the temperment but in danes that are say pure fawn
          >tend to act differant that say mantle. Because blood lines
          >tend to overlap you get more of a localized temperment within
          >that color. But not that is has to do with the color but the
          >blood lines.

I'm sorry, I still don't see any misunderstanding there. There are no traits in reference to temperament (ie being "goofy", laid back, etc) that can be applied to any specific color because there is no genetic link between the two. As stated (and as you commented on), because of related bloodlines you may see similarities happening, but only a local level.

Cindy
          sigpic

Comment

It would be an easy mistake to make though...

More popular colors, in the wrong hands might be bred regardless of temperment, and dark dogs are often treated more respectfully by humans in general.
            Examples might be seeing more Blues being of iffy temperment, while seeing Blacks are more protective. The more common Fawn would have supporters on both sides of the temperment issue because most people have met a couple of fawn Great danes in their life.

Someone knowlegable here said that color is one of the last considerations on choosing dogs to be bred, and I agree (but I don't breed Danes). Better a healthy, mentally sound mis-mark who will be a treasured member of society than choosing a less than stellar breeding dog based of "colors codes" which I suspect is a trap many well meaning Dane breeders fall into. But that is just me.

Randa

PS- edited top add
            Color has nothing to do with temperment. BUT any dog (breed or color) is only as good as the people who desire them. Impluse buyers, lazy owners and bargain hunters tend to end up with what they THINK is cool. So even judging any breed tendencies by reports of poor temperment from the general public can be a mistake since a lot of people shouldn't even own dogs to begin with.
            Randa

Comment

Good points, Randa. Just one comment, though, on your statement,

>Someone knowlegable here said that color is one of the last
              >considerations on choosing dogs to be bred, and I agree (but I
              >don't breed Danes). Better a healthy, mentally sound mis-mark
              >who will be a treasured member of society than choosing a less
              >than stellar breeding dog based of "colors codes" which I
              >suspect is a trap many well meaning Dane breeders fall into.

I agree with your first sentence, but sometimes I think the meaning behind that sentiment gets overlooked. If I'm thinking the same breeder as you (that said that), she is also one to say that it's in a breeder's best interest to use correctly marked Danes and work within the established color code. If I'm not mistaken, her remarks on color were meant more as a statement that health needs to be a more serious concern of breeders when planning breedings.

Sorry, just rambling on

Cindy

sigpic

Comment

I agree completely.
                Watching this list, and meeting other Danes, I am just struck by what a plethora of health issues these guys are plagued with.
                Mismarks ("fawnaquin types") are considered a sign of like "super careless breeding" but some issues like possible predilection to bloat or cancer are glossed over. Not ignored, just not given the gravity of color.

I am NOT judging anyone, and I know that careful breeders will save this breed. I just have to wonder about the best interest of a gene pool and what part "color codes" play in improving ANY breed, and what fabulous dogs have been passed over because they were an "unpopular" color, in the show ring or out. That's all.

This was just a topic at our dog training club.
                A friend just combined two German Shepherd lines and was shocked with the arrival of an awesome litter with two blue puppies. Blue is a serious fault among the GSD crowd.
                Interestingly, the beautiful light eyes of these pups are garnering them MUCH more attention from casual observers, and it shows. As adults, the pale yellow eyes will make the dogs seem VERY imposing thru no fault of their own.

I'm just rambling too. But is IS interesting that actual temperment and color have no coorelation but perceptions of temperment based on appearance is a very real phenomenon.

Randa
                Randa

Comment

All i was trying to to was ask you all about someting i read on a few diff. breeders sites and once or twice ON HERE

Comment

And it is a fair question-
                    BUT
                    I don't think you found anything that links color and temperment on this message board.
                    As far as breeder sites, EVERYONE thinks the dog type they have chosen to breed is the most awesome breed on earth. Having two dogs mate does NOT make anyone magically smart, experienced or informed, so you sometimes have to take their observations with a grain of salt. Very few breeder sites are brave enough to say bad things about their dogs since they want to share their love with the public, and maybe buy one of theirs.
                    Look over this board and see how many people are just shocked when their dog shifts into adulthood at around age two and begins to exhibit temperment shifts. I disagree that there is truly a general temperment issue in this breed. I suspect that many people wanting a Dane are so hung up on aesthetics (color, size) that they don't realize accomidating a HUGE smart, observant VERY powerful Mastiff breed (guarding dog) needs a lot of planning and training from an early age.
                    And this is evident in every color...

Randa

Randa

Comment

i did see one person make a referance to that on here but it was a while ago, and im not ignorant enough to think that they are not bias to there color but also they didnt say anything bad about any color. just for example (since i dont remember what was said hence why i asked the question) fawns are usally bred to fawns and brindle there gene pool is more closely related than harls and fawns in most cases and since temperment is in part genetic they act in more similar ways (again and i cant stress this enough my opinions are based on what others have said I DONT KNOW!!!!! I ASKED BECAUSE I WAS WONDERING WHAT YOU THOUGHT)

Comment

i did see one person make a referance to that on here but it was a while ago, and im not ignorant enough to think that they are not bias to there color but also they didnt say anything bad about any color. just for example (since i dont remember what was said hence why i asked the question) fawns are usally bred to fawns and brindle there gene pool is more closely related than harls and fawns in most cases and since temperment is in part genetic they act in more similar ways (again and i cant stress this enough my opinions are based on what others have said I DONT KNOW!!!!! I ASKED BECAUSE I WAS WONDERING WHAT YOU THOUGHT)

Comment

>Mismarks ("fawnaquin types") are considered a sign of like
                          >"super careless breeding"

Fawniquins are more commonly seen from shadier breeding programs, when a breeder doesn't understand or doesn't care about the color codes. However, fawniquins can happen even with responsible breeders. The fawn gene can stay hidden for generations in a harl pedigree, so even if a breeder themselves is not cross-color breeding, they could produce a such a mismark.

>but some issues like possible
                          >predilection to bloat or cancer are glossed over. Not ignored,
                          >just not given the gravity of color.

Other issues are not taken lightly be responsible breeders. The reason the color discussion frequently comes up here is because it is very visible, even for a novice. This is especially true on a message board like DOL, which consists predominately of pet owners. There are some message lists, like MyMentors, which caters to serious breeders and color discussions like this are not nearly as common there. Keep in mind, too, that there are millions of private discussions happening between the mentor/mentee and among exhibitors ringside and at the after show dinner.

>I just have to wonder about the best interest
                          >of a gene pool and what part "color codes" play in improving
                          >ANY breed,

There is really two issues that here…breeding mismarks and cross color breeding.

The recommended color code isn't designed to improve our breed. It's designed to help us keep the colors as we know them. There are lots of discussions, right here on DOL, about the reasons behind cross-color breeding not being recommended. The more muddy a pedigree becomes in regards to cross-color breedings, the harder it is to predict the colors of a planned litter. It becomes harder to keep solid colors solid and to keep the harlequin coat color.

Breeding correctly marked dogs - and doing cross-color breeding sparingly - is an important piece of keeping the correct colors. That doesn't mean I don't believe that the careful use of a mismark or cross-color breeding doesn't have merit, but it something that needs to be done with knowledge and care, not frequency.

>and what fabulous dogs have been passed over
                          >because they were an "unpopular" color, in the show ring or
                          >out. That's all.

"Unpopular"? It really isn't about being popular. It's about being correct. In fact, mismarks are often more popular than their correctly marked counterparts as lots of people want to own something "rare".

In a nutshell, it's always best to start with a correctly marked dog and to breed within the recommended color code. That doesn't mean that color is the ONLY thing a dog/breeding needs. People (in general) seem to want to simplify breeding down to color, but that is only one small piece of the puzzle. Color certainly shouldn't be glossed over as not important if we want to keep the colors we have today.

To the OP: there is some stereo-typing by color. It's true that dogs of the same color are more apt to share closer relatives. As a harl person, I can tell you that they are usually viewed as the clown and thought to be livelier than the other colors.

Bev
                          Bev
                          Foto Danes

Ch Payaso Flighty Star Alliance RN CGC CHIC
                          sigpic

Comment

>Mismarks ("fawnaquin types") are considered a sign of like
                            >"super careless breeding"

Fawniquins are more commonly seen from shadier breeding programs, when a breeder doesn't understand or doesn't care about the color codes. However, fawniquins can happen even with responsible breeders. The fawn gene can stay hidden for generations in a harl pedigree, so even if a breeder themselves is not cross-color breeding, they could produce a such a mismark.

>but some issues like possible
                            >predilection to bloat or cancer are glossed over. Not ignored,
                            >just not given the gravity of color.

Other issues are not taken lightly be responsible breeders. The reason the color discussion frequently comes up here is because it is very visible, even for a novice. This is especially true on a message board like DOL, which consists predominately of pet owners. There are some message lists, like MyMentors, which caters to serious breeders and color discussions like this are not nearly as common there. Keep in mind, too, that there are millions of private discussions happening between the mentor/mentee and among exhibitors ringside and at the after show dinner.

>I just have to wonder about the best interest
                            >of a gene pool and what part "color codes" play in improving
                            >ANY breed,

There is really two issues that here…breeding mismarks and cross color breeding.

The recommended color code isn't designed to improve our breed. It's designed to help us keep the colors as we know them. There are lots of discussions, right here on DOL, about the reasons behind cross-color breeding not being recommended. The more muddy a pedigree becomes in regards to cross-color breedings, the harder it is to predict the colors of a planned litter. It becomes harder to keep solid colors solid and to keep the harlequin coat color.

Breeding correctly marked dogs - and doing cross-color breeding sparingly - is an important piece of keeping the correct colors. That doesn't mean I don't believe that the careful use of a mismark or cross-color breeding doesn't have merit, but it something that needs to be done with knowledge and care, not frequency.

>and what fabulous dogs have been passed over
                            >because they were an "unpopular" color, in the show ring or
                            >out. That's all.

"Unpopular"? It really isn't about being popular. It's about being correct. In fact, mismarks are often more popular than their correctly marked counterparts as lots of people want to own something "rare".

In a nutshell, it's always best to start with a correctly marked dog and to breed within the recommended color code. That doesn't mean that color is the ONLY thing a dog/breeding needs. People (in general) seem to want to simplify breeding down to color, but that is only one small piece of the puzzle. Color certainly shouldn't be glossed over as not important if we want to keep the colors we have today.

To the OP: there is some stereo-typing by color. It's true that dogs of the same color are more apt to share closer relatives. As a harl person, I can tell you that they are usually viewed as the clown and thought to be livelier than the other colors.

Bev
                            Bev
                            Foto Danes

Ch Payaso Flighty Star Alliance RN CGC CHIC
                            sigpic

Comment

>(again and i cant stress this enough my opinions are based on
                              >what others have said I DONT KNOW!!!!! I ASKED BECAUSE I WAS
                              >WONDERING WHAT YOU THOUGHT)

wow.
                              June, Bumper (deaf & blind), Joey, Daisy, and Angel Ann (deaf)
                              RIP Dakota Blue Moon
                              Oct 27, 2006, Oct 01, 2012

"I'd tell ya...but I'd have ta lick ya"
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X