Amber eyes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amber eyes

Is it normal for a blue dane to have amber eyes? I always thought they were blue.

RE: Amber eyes

I am not an expert on this subject but I have seen more blue GDs with amber eyes than i have with blue. So I think it is normal.
    Angie, proud mama to 1 Great Dane, Mira and 3 mixes, 1 cat, 3 snakes and fish...also mama to 3 y/o identical twin girls

Comment

Thanks, I've only ever seen blue danes in pics.

Comment

I think most blue danes are born with blue eyes, but they almost always turn amber.
        sigpic
        RIP my sweet Zeus Boy. I'll always love you. 08/28/01 - 08/23/11
        Levi...born June 29th, 2011
        Stella...Gotcha Day May 19th, 2013 (born February 26, 2012)
        Levi and Stella's Facebook page:
        https://www.facebook.com/LeviAndStella?ref=hl

Comment

I have two blues, and they both have amber eyes.
          Hmmm, and I always called them---green. Yup, amber
          is more suitable.

Dawn

Comment

An adult blue Dane *should* ideally have a dark "khakhi" eye although it's all too common to see various lighter shades of yellow (called amber to even green). The black littermates (to blues) "ought" to have black-velvet (dark brown eyes), but if they have coffee to amber, then it's simply a matter of pigmentation that their blue brethren (and sistern<G>) will have, respectively, a shade lighter eye. Goes with the blue territory. PUPPIEs of all colors (who will end up with brown-to-yellow eyes) start out with a smoky blue eye which changes in the first few months to it's adult color. IF you are used to looking at a lot of pups you can sometimes tell by the shade of "smoke" if the eye will end up dark, medium or light. Dark is better in Danes. But it's mostly a cosmetic trait, so hardly the most important thing of course. regards,

Comment

Thanks everyone.

Comment

Working...
              X