Mantle x Blue Harlequin

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mantle x Blue Harlequin

Hi all. So I just bred my female full collared mantle with a blue harlequin and was wondering what color pups this breeding might produce? Anyone have any past pics of litters from similar breeding? Both parents are from harlequin breedings.

you asked this question last august and got answers.

http://www.danesonline.com/forums/fo...antle-breeding

you claim to be a reputable breeder but you are breeding a blue harl. you can't have it both ways.
    [SIGPIC]

Comment

I asked if I bred her with a Merle. Which did not have the blue gene.

Comment

I understand many don’t agree with breeding blue harlequins. But I have. Doesn’t mean my puppies will not be healthy and taken care of. Many breeders breed for color and confirmation! Just saying. Don’t be so biast. I am not trying to show my dog. Many people are interested in the variety of colors Danes have. My dogs health, confirmation and temperament are sound.

Comment

Btw. Not looking to argue with people. Just excited to know what the possible outcome of my litter would be. Please let’s not accuse people of being bad breeders when you clearly do not know me. Apparently Charlene already believes I’m not a reputable breeder without knowing anything at allllllll about me. After all this is a forum to ask questions. If you don’t like me or my questions please just don’t even respond. Positive vibes only thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Cmhrpesantes View Post
            I understand many don’t agree with breeding blue harlequins. But I have. Doesn’t mean my puppies will not be healthy and taken care of. Many breeders breed for color and confirmation! Just saying. Don’t be so biast. I am not trying to show my dog. Many people are interested in the variety of colors Danes have. My dogs health, confirmation and temperament are sound.
            i'm not here to get into an argument either but unless you are doing all of the health testing, you have no way of knowing if your dogs are absent of any genetic issues that could be passed on to litters of puppies.

while many people are "interested in the variety of colors", breeding a blue harl is not breeding to standard which puts you in the class of less-than-reputable breeders. sorry, that's just the way it is. same thing for people who breed for brindlequins, fawniquins, blue fawns, and all of the other ridiculous colors people come up with. it's not about "liking" you or not, i don't know you so that isn't even an issue. what i do know is that you are breeding dogs that have not been health tested (please correct me if i'm wrong about that), you're breeding for colors that are not acceptable in the standard, and unless you have shown your dogs OR had them evaluated by 2 or 3 unbiased people who are well versed in dane conformation, you don't truly know if they are good representatives of the breed.

and yes, DOL is a great place to ask questions. however, DOL is also an EDUCATIONAL forum. you can't become educated if you have blinders on.
            [SIGPIC]

Comment

This is an educational forum...correct info is given and irresponsible breeding practices aren't condoned. A responsible breeder never deliberately breeds for mismarks, a responsible breeder breeds to the breed standard does all health testing (not just simple vet exams), carefully researched pedigrees, breeds to add something of value back to the breed not just a litter of puppies. They strive it improve the breed and uphold all the hard work already done to help improve the health and temperament..
              If you are interested in color genetics I recommend that you read articles, research and studies by JP Yousha.
              Last edited by kahluadanes; 12-15-2018, 07:41 AM.
              sigpic
              Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
              Associate Member GDCNE
              Member GSPCA
              Member NAVHDA
              Member Central Maine Kennel Club
              High Hopes Great Danes & German Shorthairs

Comment

Since we can't just "like" posts anymore I'll have to comment and say I agree with kahluadanes and Charlene wholeheartedly. You can tell instantly if a breeder is a backyard breeder (not reputable, ethical, and cares nothing for bettering the breed) by obvious blatant red flags. 1. Breeding non-showable colors is an EASY one to judge. You can't get a dog's confirmation judged if they aren't even allowed in the ring. 2. If you haven't done some basic genetic research BEFORE breeding, how can anyone trust you've done any kind of genetic health testing? It's not about the person you are, it's about the way you're going about ruining the breed.
                ~ Lisa & Rupert

Comment

Ok Great input. You know Merle wasn’t always a acceptable color by breed standard and now it is. Just saying. So many people were so against the breeding of Merle’s and now have to put their foot in their mouth. Btw there are also so so so many reputable breeders who breed for non standard colors, do genetic/health testing. Some of their sires and dams are way nicer than many standard color Danes I’ve seen. But whatever, not going to turn this into an argument. I’ll go ask advice from one of them. Happy Holidays guys.

btw did I ever say my dogs weren’t health tested in any of my previous posts??? Pretty sure I didn’t since she has been.

Comment

Also, blue harlequin is an acceptable color in other countries and they have been successful in the show ring also. Just putting that out there.

Comment

Deliberate breeding of mismarks is not the mark of a responsible breeder...
                      sigpic
                      Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
                      Associate Member GDCNE
                      Member GSPCA
                      Member NAVHDA
                      Member Central Maine Kennel Club
                      High Hopes Great Danes & German Shorthairs

Comment

"btw did I ever say my dogs weren’t health tested in any of my previous posts??? Pretty sure I didn’t since she has been."

can you please post OFA numbers so i can see the test results for her? same for the male IF you have that.
                        [SIGPIC]

Comment

SMH. First off, it's "conformation", not "confirmation".

And yes, you're an unethical backyard breeder. I'm not going to sugar-coat it, and it doesn't matter to me if you like it or not. Will your puppies be healthy? Who knows, since you breed for color and let the health of the dogs you breed be a complete crap shoot. You say, "My dogs health, confirmation and temperament are sound." How do you know? People like you disregard showing the dogs that you plan to breed, and they don't even understand the reason behind showing. The structure of the dog, which is evaluated in the ring, directly contributes to soundness vs. structural infirmity. Temperament is evaluated; timid and aggressive dogs are excused. Breed preservation is so, so important to me and we have folks like you who come along and deliberately ruin the breed. I can't count the number of times I've been out in public and had people tell me that they've never seen a Dane that looks like mine before, and it's because all they've ever seen are back yard bred hot messes. They don't even know what a well bred Dane looks like.

Yes, many European breeders cross colors. Have you seen those dogs? Do you understand what structural wrecks they are? They've strayed so far from the standard that they don't even resemble a Dane anymore.

Give me your kennel name, because I'd love to look you up on the OFA website. I can guarantee that you won't give it because you're lying about health testing. I know this because I've seen a thousand BYB'ers exactly like you before.

Your statement "Btw there are also so so so many reputable breeders who breed for non standard colors" is an absolute joke. No reputable breeder breeds for non-standard colors. None. Maybe reputable among the BYB crowd, but not among the ethical breeders who are desperately trying to preserve and improve this breed.
                          Last edited by Michelle L; 12-25-2018, 05:33 PM.
                          sigpic

Comment

Hi all. So I just bred my female full collared mantle with a blue harlequin and was wondering what color pups this breeding might produce? Anyone have any past pics of litters from similar breeding? Both parents are from harlequin breedings.
                            can I ask what exactly you were hoping to produce? I mean, what made you breed outside color code? Just to breed off colors on purpose?

I agree with the previous sentiment. reputable breeders dont breed for off colors.
                            sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X