Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breeder search

Hey guys,

Just wanted to get my feet wet and start searching for (of course) an ethical breeder. Right now, I'd like to focus on starting and maintaining a relationship with a breeder, as we are looking to add a second Dane in the next year to year and a half.

If anyone has any advice or breeder references/referrals, a PM would be appreciated, as I know posting breeder names and websites is not allowed. I'm in Los Angeles, CA but am more than willing to travel for the right breeder and pup.

Thanks again as always!

Julie
    Last edited by Mama_Mia; 02-15-2017, 08:00 PM.
    sigpic

Time to hit up some showstuff! Do you have a color family in mind?
    sigpic
    Fergus
    SC Dinnie Stone Guardian, CGC
    Eisen Shark
    C Shadows On The Sun, CGC

Comment

Originally posted by SuzanneRM82 View Post
      Time to hit up some showstuff! Do you have a color family in mind?
      Yes! Great idea! And as for color, not really. My boyfriend would love a Fawn but we are honestly not picky; color is probably last on our list of preferences. We do want a male as we currently have our female.
      sigpic

Comment

Yes, go to shows. A lot of them, and get an idea of dogs you like. Then approach the breeders when they have some free time to talk. Get a phone number or email address, and go from there. You can find shows by going to the akc website and search events, it'll tell you when, where, and what breeds along with how many of each breed are entered. Otherwise the gdca website should have a list of breeders as well.

ETA: oh, and when you go to a show, limit how much money you bring . I always bring too much and spend it all on fancy things that we really don't *need* lol.
        Last edited by Kumah; 02-15-2017, 08:17 PM.
        ~Kelsey, mom to~
        Kumah-merle Great Dane 4 years
        Nala-fawn Great Dane 2 months
        Cece- Calico 4 years
        Sammy- Black Domestic Long Hair 3 years
        Tyke- 4 months

Comment

I do know one good fawn breeder in Cali off the top of my head. If she doesn't have what you're looking for, she would be a good resource to refer you. I also know of a good harl breeder in your state. I'll message you.
          sigpic
          Chaucey
          Asaah ~ xxx Asaah LaLa, CGC, registered therapy dog

Comment

Originally posted by Mama_Mia View Post
            Yes! Great idea! And as for color, not really. My boyfriend would love a Fawn but we are honestly not picky; color is probably last on our list of preferences. We do want a male as we currently have our female.
            I know of literally NO kennels in CA, aside from the one family who breeds under the kennel name Eisen is from.
            Originally posted by Kumah View Post
            Yes, go to shows. A lot of them, and get an idea of dogs you like. Then approach the breeders when they have some free time to talk. Get a phone number or email address, and go from there. You can find shows by going to the akc website and search events, it'll tell you when, where, and what breeds along with how many of each breed are entered. Otherwise the gdca website should have a list of breeders as well.

ETA: oh, and when you go to a show, limit how much money you bring . I always bring too much and spend it all on fancy things that we really don't *need* lol.
            The struggle! Our local show is this weekend and I've already had to make a conscious decision to leave my purse in the truck. Then again, I've also got the judging program highlighted by breed so that I may properly stalk all breeds I need to investigate, so I might be too busy to shop. Plus, 22 Danes!!! That's a lot to keep me busy haha. I'm gonna see if I can volunteer as a leash holder lol.
            sigpic
            Fergus
            Eisen Shark

Comment

We're definitely willing to travel, though anywhere in the PNW would be ideal. Thanks for the tip about budgeting for shows, haha!

This might be a dumb question, but how does one initiate a proper or appropriate conversation with a breeder? At a show, in person, or otherwise?
              Last edited by Mama_Mia; 02-15-2017, 08:48 PM.
              sigpic

Comment

We're definitely willing to travel, though anywhere in the PNW would be ideal. Thanks for the tip about budgeting for shows, haha!

This might be a dumb question, but how does one initiate a conversation with a breeder? At a show, in person, or otherwise?
                I emailed, offered some info about myself and what I was looking for, then followed up with a phone call. Then I met Finn's breeder at a show. Asaah's breeder is 17 hours away, but I spoke with her via phone, and met her in person when I went to pick up Asaah.
                sigpic
                Chaucey
                Asaah ~ xxx Asaah LaLa, CGC, registered therapy dog

Comment

This might be a dumb question, but how does one initiate a conversation with a breeder? At a show, in person, or otherwise?
                  As long as the person with the dog you like isn't busy (and only AFTER ring time) you can approach them then. With Shark's breeder, I randomly called her up after finding her website on a Google search. Told her we were interested in having Danes at some point in our future, that I'd been over her website and I'd like to talk to her about her dogs. She told me she didn't have any pups, and had no litters planned in the near future (and she wasn't kidding- 4 years later and she still hasn't had pups at her house lol) but that she would be happy to talk about the breed with us and introduce us to her crew. Turns out she's not a fan of the formal interview or the future buyer questionaire, and that was our informal prospective owner interview. We spent an afternoon talking about her dogs, our experience with dogs, and watching our 4 year old daughter romp in a herd of 6 Danes and handle them like a pro.

Sorry- I'm rambling haha. This weekend I fully intend to find our local basset breeder, because I will have a basset in the future. Eisen's breeder has introduced me already so I kind of have an "in" there, but I'll probably just go say hi, tell him we are considering a basset for a future family dog, that I really like the look of his dogs (OMG, his male that's out for his GCH right now- be still my heart!) and ask if there is a time/day/place that we could discuss things and see if we'd be a good fit.
                  sigpic
                  Fergus
                  Eisen Shark

Comment

Great questions!

If you know of a breeder you'd like to meet in person at a show, it would be a good idea to introduce yourself in an email first. That way you guys can get a head start on getting to know each other and they will be expecting you at the show so will set time aside.

If you don't, you can also contact GDCA affiliate clubs and check out the breeder directory page on their website

- http://www.gdca.org/great-dane-clubs.html

- http://www.gdca.org/great-dane-breeders.html

When you do go to a show, be sure to buy a catalog. This will have the dogs names as well as their owners and breeders. Mark in your catalog so even if you get overwhelmed at the show, you can refer to your notes later.

I can think of at least one fawn breeder I would recommend in California

Comment

I'm gonna see if I can volunteer as a leash holder lol.

My friend who is at the Midland show just posted on Facebook about an awesome lady who helped her hold Danes...and Staffies. "What wonderful people live in Midland!" she raves!

Comment

Originally posted by Lizgirl View Post
                        My friend who is at the Midland show just posted on Facebook about an awesome lady who helped her hold Danes...and Staffies. "What wonderful people live in Midland!" she raves!
                        Was it Sonya? I introduced myself to Steve first thing and they put me right to work! I even got to take his 6-9 dog in for winners and we got reserve. It was totally my handling skills. ��������

Incidentally, I think I befriended my future Staffy breeder today too.
                        Last edited by SuzanneRM82; 02-16-2017, 10:14 PM.
                        sigpic
                        Fergus
                        Eisen Shark

Comment

Thanks for all of the info! I've officially started my quest, this is exciting.
                          sigpic

Comment

Was it Sonya? I introduced myself to Steve first thing and they put me right to work! I even got to take his 6-9 dog in for winners and we got reserve. It was totally my handling skills. ��������

Incidentally, I think I befriended my future Staffy breeder today too.

It was. Congratulations on your win! Careful, don't let the showbug bite...if it hasn't already

Comment

Originally posted by Lizgirl View Post
                              It was. Congratulations on your win! Careful, don't let the showbug bite...if it hasn't already
                              Your warning might be a bit too late.... I was kinda sad nobody needed me in the ring today haha. I even wore the right shoes this time!
                              sigpic
                              Fergus
                              Eisen Shark

Comment

Working...
                              X