Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Picked the biggest of the litter - Advice please

Hello

I just recently put a deposit down on a Great Dane male (first time GD owner). His personality is the sweetest and just got a gut instinct about him. The breeder also recommended him for our family. I am going to pick him up next week at 13 weeks and he is already getting very big. Is there any concern picking the biggest of the litter? I initially wanted a female since they are smaller. Also I am not used to raising a huge dog. Our last one was a Boxer that weighed at most 55 lbs.

Any advice is appreciated!

Pretty much all Great Danes are big! Just because he's the biggest puppy now doesn't mean he'll stay that way. The breeder should be able to give you an idea of how their line grows and about how big he'll end up. Have you spent any time around adult Great Danes, like the breeder's dogs? Make sure that you don't allow any behavior as a 25 lb puppy that you aren't ok with from a 150 lb adult. And make sure you start training manners and loose leash walking immediately. My male pup was 25 lbs when I got him, and 100 pounds 4 months later. They grow incredibly fast.
    Last edited by oshagcj914; 01-28-2017, 07:03 PM.
    sigpic
    Chaucey
    Asaah ~ xxx Asaah LaLa, CGC, registered therapy dog

Comment

Originally posted by chuang79 View Post
      Hello

I just recently put a deposit down on a Great Dane male (first time GD owner). His personality is the sweetest and just got a gut instinct about him. The breeder also recommended him for our family. I am going to pick him up next week at 13 weeks and he is already getting very big. Is there any concern picking the biggest of the litter? I initially wanted a female since they are smaller. Also I am not used to raising a huge dog. Our last one was a Boxer that weighed at most 55 lbs.

Any advice is appreciated!
      One of the main concerns with a big dog is stress on bones. Make sure you don't overfeed him.

Comment

Make sure you feed him a food appropriate for Dane babies. You don't want to help him grow too fast. And start training ASAP!
        sigpic
        Fergus
        SC Dinnie Stone Guardian, CGC
        Eisen Shark
        C Shadows On The Sun, CGC

Comment

Make sure the food you are feeding is good quality and calcium/phosphorous levels are in safe levels.. calcium not over 1.5, phosphorous not over 1.0... lower on both is best especially for lines that are faster growing. Do not over feed.. excess calories can cause growth issues and over feeding can also cause diarrhea and the puppy to become too chunky.

The biggest puppy of a litter doesn't always stay the biggest, likewise the smallest doesn't always stay the smallest.
          sigpic
          Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
          Associate Member GDCNE
          Member GSPCA
          Member NAVHDA
          Member Central Maine Kennel Club
          High Hopes Great Danes & German Shorthairs

Comment

Originally posted by martycurt View Post
            One of the main concerns with a big dog is stress on bones. Make sure you don't overfeed him.
            Continue feeding the same food the breeder has been using for at least a month. After that if you want to feed a different food slowly transition for ideally about 2 weeks.

Comment

People often think they have the best-behaved puppy on earth, just because the pup is growing so fast he just doesn't have the energy to misbehave. Then, about 9 months later, when the pup is 100+ pounds, he finds his energy and the people are sorry they didn't do more training early. So start training early, but very gently, with treats and toys, as they are usually very sensitive and have long memories.

It's your job to show the world and how to handle it to the pup, so that in a few years, you will have a sophisticated, unflappable adult dane. It is also your job to defend the pup - he should never feel like he has to defend himself. You will be astonished at how much attention he will draw when you're in public. Over-affectionate members of the public will be one of the things you have to defend him against.

You can get great advice on this forum. Reading old threads can be very useful.

And you will love him more than you ever thought possible
              sigpicLisa
              Missing Mira (7/15/03-12/17/13)

Comment

Working...
              X