Urgent - Great Dane needed!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Urgent - Great Dane needed!

Grieving family suffering the loss of our 2 year old Great Dane Walter.We made the mistake of buying through a backyard breeder and will not make that mistake again! We are looking for help in finding a reputable, caring, and quality breeder.

Walter was diagnosed right before Thanksgiving with a Glioma tumor mass on the left side of his brain. Despite aggressive treatment, he succumbed to the tumor within only a short 5 weeks of the diagnosis. Our hearts and family are broken.

We live in Philadelphia, but are willing to travel anywhere in the country for the right dane!

Our top color choices right now are harlequin and mantle merle. We're not looking for a show dog, just a companion pup.

Thanks!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by judedog; 12-29-2016, 11:39 AM.

Breeder names are not permitted on the forum, but check out the puppy buying links on the left for how to find a reputable breeder. Also check with your nearest Great Dane club for breeder referrals. Even though you don't want a show dog, you still want to buy from a breeder who shows their dogs, as this will emits you get a dog that looks like a Great Dane is supposed to look and has good structure, which can also affect their health. Ensure the breeder also does health testing (OFA hips, heart, thyroid, and CERF eyes) prior to breeding. I'll message you a suggestion - you should still check out this breeder yourself, and any other breeder that anyone here recommends. Always do your own homework. Also beware of anyone messaging you with puppies because sometimes the backyard breeders hang out here and try to sell puppies to unsuspecting people. You can also check out the Facebook group Great Dane Litter Announcements. And you can join the group Correct Great Dane Info, which has some reputable breeders listed in the files.

Your title says "urgently needed" - I just want to warn you to take your time and don't expect a puppy right away, especially if you want a harlequin. They are the hardest to get as a pet from a reputable breeder, and you may end up with a long wait. Plus many good breeders have puppies spoken for before they're even born. Do your homework and choice the breeder first and puppy second.
    Last edited by oshagcj914; 12-30-2016, 08:29 PM.
    sigpic
    Chaucey
    Asaah ~ xxx Asaah LaLa, CGC, registered therapy dog

Comment

So sorry you lost your boy so young

I think I can give three pieces of advice:

1. Even though you don't want a show dog, you should still be looking to buy from a show breeder. The reason being that show breeders are the people who are most likely breeding to the standard, which means producing structurally sound dogs, and they're the people who are most likely doing all of the recommended health testing.

Show breeders don't ONLY breed show dogs. 50% (or more) puppies from most show litters are only suitable for companion homes.

Keep in mind that while buying from someone who health tests is absolutely the safest path, it is not a guarantee that your dog won't suffer from health issues. There are no guarantees when it comes to the health of living things. However, the odds of losing a young dog from an ethical breeder are significantly less than the odds of losing one from someone who does no health testing at all.

2. That being said, the best place to find a suitable breeder is at a local show, or through your local Great Dane club. Those are the two places you are most likely to meet, or be recommended to, someone who is an ethical breeder of Great Danes.

3. I'd suggest shopping for a breeder, NOT for color. Show breeders will likely wait until the puppies are 6 weeks of age, and either give you several puppies to choose from, or tell you which puppy is best suited to your family. Which means you can give a color preference, but it may be ignored. Color should be the last priority after temperament and health.

A few additional things - puppy buying shouldn't ever be URGENT. It may take you months to find a breeder you like, and it may take them months after that to have a litter on the ground. Doing it right means taking your time, doing your research and being patient. The only people likely to have puppies on the ground *right now* are backyard breeders, and you've already traveled that road once before.

The price tag from a quality breeder may come as a shock ($1,500-$3,000 is average), but it comes with health testing, vaccinations, a contract, a health guarantee and a lifetime of breeder support should you ever need help with any issues that arise. In the long run, it's really worth it to pay more up front.

Good luck with your search, I hope you find what you're looking for.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by oshagcj914 View Post
        Your title says "urgently needed" - I just want to warn you to take your time and don't expect a puppy right away, especially if you want a harlequin. They are the hardest to get as a pet from a reputable breeder, and you may end up with a long wait. Plus many good breeders have puppies spoken for before they're even born. Do your homework and goose the breeder first and puppy second.
        Thanks! The title was somewhat tongue in cheek - we definitely want to do this the right way, especially after what we just went through

Comment

Originally posted by judedog View Post
          Thanks! The title was somewhat tongue in cheek - we definitely want to do this the right way, especially after what we just went through
          Both oshagcj914 and I warned you about the 'urgent' title because while your comment may have been tongue in cheek, we all too often deal with people who want to buy a puppy and bring it home in a month maximum, which is highly unrealistic unless they're going to purchase from a byb.

I'm glad you have a much more realistic time frame in mind, that will greatly help you find the perfect pup for your family
          sigpic

Comment

Sorry to hear about your loss. In case you're like me and never thought about it: the purpose of showing is to judge the breeding stock. Also, the process of showing is a pretty fair temperament test, since the dogs are exposed to a lot of stressors and showing an ill-tempered dog would be nightmarish.

Expect breeders to have a lot of questions, some of which may seem intrusive, for you. If they don't, it's a red flag. Don't even think of it as buying a dog - it's more like the breeder is giving you one of her babies and you're reimbursing part of the cost of creating them (all those shows and tests aren't cheap). The breeder has to be satisfied that you will be a worthy caretaker.

Backyard breeders have become more sophisticated of late and there is a lot of fibbing going on, so don't take things at face value - verify claims. Good breeders generally don't fill their web sites with poetic musings about how loving/sweet/cute/religious they and their dogs are; they post pictures of their dogs winning in the show ring.

There is a ton of information here on the subject and a lot of lively debates in old threads. Good luck and let us know how it's going!
            sigpicLisa
            Missing Mira (7/15/03-12/17/13)

Comment

My experience

Truly sorry for your loss. I agree with everyone else's post. Also have a discussion with your breeder about follow up communication. My breeder was very responsive to my million or more questions (I'm sure I drove her crazy), but she was there for me. Choose carefully, which will take some precious time, but in the end, it will be worth it. All the best to you.

Comment

Working...
              X