Road Blocks in Search to Add New Dane

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Road Blocks in Search to Add New Dane

Mainly posting to vent a bit, but also wondering if anyone has any resources that I'm not currently utilizing.

I've finally decided to add another Dane to my household. I don't have too many requirements, I'd prefer a 1-3 year old dog but would consider slightly younger than 1 if it was otherwise a good match. I want a playful companion for Titan, as none of my other dogs will engage with him very often. Doesn't need to be good with cats, I'd prefer a dog who was good with kids.

I've been looking for a few weeks now and am really having difficulty locating any prospects, or even avenues through which to conduct my search. A vast majority of rescues will not adopt to me, as I do not have a fenced yard and Titan is intact. I've been perusing sites like Hoobly and classified ads to see if an older Dane is posted there needing to be rehomed, but I refuse to give money to anyone who is backyard breeding and rehoming a dog they've used to produce litters.

I'm not quite sure how to get word out that I'm looking for a Dane, whether I should just contact local breeders or what, but it's getting very frustrating. I'd love to rescue but can't and supporting a byb is out of the question. I've found one young female I quite liked, but the phone number on her ad is disconnected even though the ad was renewed several days ago.

All I want to do is give another dog a good forever home. Anyone have any ideas for ways to find an adolescent/adult Dane needing a home?
    sigpic

I hope something comes your way soon! It must be frustrating. I don't have a lot of insight to give on places to look, but I'll agree with the vent about rescues not rehoming to places with intact dogs. Or doing pediatric spays on dogs before rehoming them. Our local rescue had two beautiful little baby Danes come into their rescue... they spayed them both at 3 months. It was heart breaking! They won't adopt to me either, because Peach is also intact, and even if they would... honestly I'm not sure I'd want to take on the health issues attached to that. I know they've gotta do what they've gotta do to promote responsible ownership and all, but there's gotta be a better way.
    sigpic

Peach, merle Great Dane
    Born July 7 2014
    Peach & Emily!

Comment

I would check with any local(ish) reputable breeders and see if they have any danes available or know of any others that do. They will occasionally have danes they thought would do well in the ring that ended up not so, or danes that were given back to them. That's where I'd start. It kind of seems interesting to me that rescues won't adopt to you because Titan is intact. They spay/neuter their adoptable dogs who weren't already done anyways so it wouldn't make sense if they thought someone's intent was to breed them. Good luck in your search, hope you find a good match for your family.
      ~Kelsey, mom to~
      Kumah-merle Great Dane 4 years
      Nala-fawn Great Dane 2 months
      Cece- Calico 4 years
      Sammy- Black Domestic Long Hair 3 years
      Tyke- 4 months

Comment

Have you looked at the FB page Great Dane Breeder/Owner Rehoming or asked you breeder to network for you with other breeders for an adult breeder rehome? Do you have any bitches currently? I know someone with an 18 month old brindle bitch who is pointed but they want her to be an only bitch.
        sigpic
        Chaucey
        Asaah ~ xxx Asaah LaLa, CGC, registered therapy dog

Comment

Originally posted by emeko View Post
          I hope something comes your way soon! It must be frustrating. I don't have a lot of insight to give on places to look, but I'll agree with the vent about rescues not rehoming to places with intact dogs. Or doing pediatric spays on dogs before rehoming them. Our local rescue had two beautiful little baby Danes come into their rescue... they spayed them both at 3 months. It was heart breaking! They won't adopt to me either, because Peach is also intact, and even if they would... honestly I'm not sure I'd want to take on the health issues attached to that. I know they've gotta do what they've gotta do to promote responsible ownership and all, but there's gotta be a better way.
          Yes, this is another problem I have with rescuing. I understand why rescues perform pediatric alters, but I don't think I can bring myself to become attached to a dog who has a severely increased risk of osteosarcoma. Going through osteo once in my life was enough.

Originally posted by Kumah View Post
          I would check with any local(ish) reputable breeders and see if they have any danes available or know of any others that do. They will occasionally have danes they thought would do well in the ring that ended up not so, or danes that were given back to them. That's where I'd start. It kind of seems interesting to me that rescues won't adopt to you because Titan is intact. They spay/neuter their adoptable dogs who weren't already done anyways so it wouldn't make sense if they thought someone's intent was to breed them. Good luck in your search, hope you find a good match for your family.
          I think it's strange as well, but I think a lot of rescues are very close minded when it comes to altering. Basically, many of them think that owning an intact companion dog means you're an irresponsible owner. No ifs, ands or buts.

The fenced yard thing is the biggest road block, but that's also silly. A fenced yard is no guarantee of exercise, and my dogs get twice as much exercise as anyone I know who has a fenced yard.

I could wait until I move later this fall and have a fenced yard, but I would prefer to have a companion for Titan during the summer when my work hours are not as demanding and before I move in order to make the move less stressful for him.

There are a few breeders close to me, I'll put the word out that I'm looking for an adult and maybe something will turn up! Thanks for the advice
          sigpic

Comment

PM sent...
            sigpic

Comment

Just an FYI on the breeder re-homes. The ones I know don't typically keep those dogs around very long, so if you're interested in that I would let any breeders you like know now. That way you can meet them, talk, all that good stuff, and be at the top of their list should they need to re-home a dog.
              sigpic
              Fergus
              SC Dinnie Stone Guardian, CGC
              Eisen Shark
              C Shadows On The Sun, CGC

Comment

Originally posted by oshagcj914 View Post
                Have you looked at the FB page Great Dane Breeder/Owner Rehoming or asked you breeder to network for you with other breeders for an adult breeder rehome? Do you have any bitches currently? I know someone with an 18 month old brindle bitch who is pointed but they want her to be an only bitch.
                I have checked that FB page religiously for the last three months or so. Inquired about the brindle male that was posted, but he was already spoken for. The other ones that have come up have been needing to be single dogs, or dogs with only one other specific gender in the household. How would I go about getting a post put up there that I'm looking for a dog?

I've seen that brindle bitch during my searching. She's beautiful! Unfortunately my dad has a female and our dogs are together frequently. He's my dog-sitter for when I'm out of town, so I really need a dog that's good with both genders.

Originally posted by SuzanneRM82 View Post
                Just an FYI on the breeder re-homes. The ones I know don't typically keep those dogs around very long, so if you're interested in that I would let any breeders you like know now. That way you can meet them, talk, all that good stuff, and be at the top of their list should they need to re-home a dog.
                I am fortunately right in the middle of a hot bed of amazing breeders. There's an awesome blue breeder several hours north of me, one of the top fawn/brindle breeders in the country is within 45 minutes of me, and there are a few smaller lesser known (but ethical) operations within 15 miles of my house.

I've already spoken to the fawn/brindle breeder about a brindle she had available (but he was already spoken for) and she knows I'm searching. I'm planning on sending out e-mails to a few other breeders. I was worried it would come off as forward and rude to contact them unless they advertised they had an available dog, but I'm just going to try to be very polite and brief with my e-mails!
                Last edited by Hiraeth; 07-10-2016, 12:37 PM.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Hiraeth View Post
                  I have checked that FB page religiously for the last three months or so. Inquired about the brindle male that was posted, but he was already spoken for. The other ones that have come up have been needing to be single dogs, or dogs with only one other specific gender in the household. How would I go about getting a post put up there that I'm looking for a dog?

I've seen that brindle bitch during my searching. She's beautiful! Unfortunately my dad has a female and our dogs are together frequently. He's my dog-sitter for when I'm out of town, so I really need a dog that's good with both genders.

I am fortunately right in the middle of a hot bed of amazing breeders. There's an awesome blue breeder several hours north of me, one of the top fawn/brindle breeders in the country is within 45 minutes of me, and there are a few smaller lesser known (but ethical) operations within 15 miles of my house.

I've already spoken to the fawn/brindle breeder about a brindle she had available (but he was already spoken for) and she knows I'm searching. I'm planning on sending out e-mails to a few other breeders. I was worried it would come off as forward and rude to contact them unless they advertised they had an available dog, but I'm just going to try to be very polite and brief with my e-mails!
                  Only breeders can be members and post on the rehoming Facebook page, so you'd have to ask a breeder who is a member to post on your behalf. You can look at the member list on the group. I think asking breeders who already know you and how you care for your pets to network for you will be your best bet, especially if you are looking for something relatively local.
                  sigpic
                  Chaucey

Comment

Originally posted by oshagcj914 View Post
                    Only breeders can be members and post on the rehoming Facebook page, so you'd have to ask a breeder who is a member to post on your behalf. You can look at the member list on the group. I think asking breeders who already know you and how you care for your pets to network for you will be your best bet, especially if you are looking for something relatively local.
                    I've met a few local breeders several times at shows, I'll check to see if they're members of the group! Thanks for your help, you're the reason I know about that group in the first place!

Of course, as it frequently happens, I finally create a post to vent and hear from someone with an available Dane within six hours!

They're a private party looking to rehome a 7 month old merle mantle because their Bulldog is not getting along with him. I'm definitely going into the situation with caution, as I have a very drama-free canine life right now and want to keep it that way, but I really do think it's probably the Bulldog that's instigating. They say he's good with their three kids, their cat and their goats, and loves other dogs.

I may drive to meet him (taking Titan with me of course) and see how it goes. He's kinda pricey for a byb puppy, but hey, I'll pay what I need to pay to get a dog who will be buddies with Titan. The person isn't running a breeding operation, so I wouldn't be funding a byb, just providing a puppy who is getting bullied a home.

Of course, now I'm super stressed about the whole thing, like "am I making the right decision?!" *sigh* I'll see how I feel in the morning and write them back from there.
                    sigpic

Comment

I've met a few local breeders several times at shows, I'll check to see if they're members of the group! Thanks for your help, you're the reason I know about that group in the first place!

Of course, as it frequently happens, I finally create a post to vent and hear from someone with an available Dane within six hours!

They're a private party looking to rehome a 7 month old merle mantle because their Bulldog is not getting along with him. I'm definitely going into the situation with caution, as I have a very drama-free canine life right now and want to keep it that way, but I really do think it's probably the Bulldog that's instigating. They say he's good with their three kids, their cat and their goats, and loves other dogs.

I may drive to meet him (taking Titan with me of course) and see how it goes. He's kinda pricey for a byb puppy, but hey, I'll pay what I need to pay to get a dog who will be buddies with Titan. The person isn't running a breeding operation, so I wouldn't be funding a byb, just providing a puppy who is getting bullied a home.

Of course, now I'm super stressed about the whole thing, like "am I making the right decision?!" *sigh* I'll see how I feel in the morning and write them back from there.
                      Hope it works out! Can you both just go meet the dog with no intention of bringing him home? Just leave the check book at home and meet him. Then you can take some time after you meet him to think about it. And maybe see if they'll lower the price. I'd think that they would just be happy to find him a new home and not try to make money off rehoming a dog that didn't work out. I think if I was rehoming a pet I'd just donate the money to a rescue or something anyway.
                      sigpic
                      Chaucey

Comment

I was worried it would come off as forward and rude to contact them unless they advertised they had an available dog, but I'm just going to try to be very polite and brief with my e-mails!
                        I think with a lot of breeders that's not an issue. I know with Shark's breeder she'd much rather have all the info, likes, dislikes, wants, needs, whatever, put right up front.
                        sigpic
                        Fergus
                        SC Dinnie Stone Guardian, CGC
                        Eisen Shark
                        C Shadows On The Sun, CGC

Comment

Working...
                        X