Great Danes Online Facebook Group

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great Danes Online Facebook Group

I just want to vent about how much it bothers me when people defend picking up puppies at 6 weeks, "saving them from pet stores", and getting litter mates. Great Danes are so amazing and definitely worth the effort but every time I see those types of posts I can already envision that dog at a shelter or passed off to a relative . Please help me not be angry or logical towards the idiot masses.
    sigpic
    Wally - 5/16/2014 (Fawn Male)

Here is the link I was given for a reputable breeder.

http://www.lewisgreatdanes.com/puppies.html
    sigpic

Comment

Sometimes you have to shut down the Facebook and walk away. I find myself very frustrated with it sometimes, and the general Facebook-using populace seems to be much less educated than the regulars of this forum as a whole.

You can't fix everyone, some people just don't want to be informed about responsible breeding practices.
      sigpic

Comment

A 30 lb 5 month old purchased from a pet store
        sigpic

Comment

If I had the energy I would be all over that thread, I just don't today. It's so sad, the same thing over and over again, and always people jumping to defend their "breeder".

Comment

Did you see the post with the "platinum blue" puppy?

Comment

Ugh no, I can tell I'm in a mood. I usually just block posts that I would clearly not be able to contain myself but for some reason it irked me today. I think the combo of being like "HOW BIG IS HE GOING TO GET" then people chiming in about their reputable breeders. It's just that saying, you can't help people who don't want to be helped.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by KaileeO View Post
                Here is the link I was given for a reputable breeder.

http://www.lewisgreatdanes.com/puppies.html
                Yep, looks really reputable. Those pups looks so scared sitting there on that table
                sigpic
                Willow and Liv

Comment

Originally posted by shighland View Post
                  Did you see the post with the "platinum blue" puppy?
                  Yeah, I did. Decided not to say anything.

There's one going around right now that's a chocolate harlequin with "chocolate brown mantle" and "black mantle" parents.

I'm fighting my urge to comment very hard. I hate it when I see posts like that and everyone saying "omg, cute puppy, the colors are great" because I worry that it encourages people to go out and find a similar looking puppy for themselves.

"You know what's cute? Dogs that live past the age of 5." *sigh* Totally an overgeneralization and a snarky thing to say, but my patience is running thin as of late.
                  sigpic

Comment

These posts are very hard to deal with, but when commenting we need to do it in an educational polite, adult like manner. Posting rudely or being accusatory is not helpful and ends up defeating the purpose of education and it turns people away.. it sends many off to sites that abound with irresponsible breeders and the open arms of those who are clueless, ignorant or irresponsible. It is hard to not yell, scream, point fingers, etc.. it is frustrating because it happens over & over & over. All we can do is keep our wits about us and give some good info and explain calmly why it isn't a good idea.. once a pup has been bought from a pet store or less than stellar breeder it is too late to prevent the purchase and the would haves/should haves... it is time for us to step up and offer as much valuable, correct info as we can to help that person raise that pup.. and to gently explain why it isn't a good idea to buy from these types of people so that someone else can become educated and not make the same mistake.
                    sigpic
                    Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
                    Associate Member GDCNE
                    Member GSPCA
                    Member NAVHDA
                    Member Central Maine Kennel Club
                    High Hopes Great Danes & German Shorthairs

Comment

Originally posted by kahluadanes View Post
                      These posts are very hard to deal with, but when commenting we need to do it in an educational polite, adult like manner. Posting rudely or being accusatory is not helpful and ends up defeating the purpose of education and it turns people away.. it sends many off to sites that abound with irresponsible breeders and the open arms of those who are clueless, ignorant or irresponsible. It is hard to not yell, scream, point fingers, etc.. it is frustrating because it happens over & over & over. All we can do is keep our wits about us and give some good info and explain calmly why it isn't a good idea.. once a pup has been bought from a pet store or less than stellar breeder it is too late to prevent the purchase and the would haves/should haves... it is time for us to step up and offer as much valuable, correct info as we can to help that person raise that pup.. and to gently explain why it isn't a good idea to buy from these types of people so that someone else can become educated and not make the same mistake.
                      I agree Which is why I find myself not responding to things when I feel like I'm going to be snarky and coming back later after other people have already said what I was going to.
                      sigpic

Comment

I know I commented on your post Dale so I apologize but all of the other people commenting choose to call me ignorant and insult me for trying to call attention to an issue. If I was directly hateful, I really do apologize. I should have advised them to join our forum, everyone here is so polite and yet they all run away when they realize that only ethical breeding is supported here.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by KaileeO View Post
                          I know I commented on your post Dale so I apologize but all of the other people commenting choose to call me ignorant and insult me for trying to call attention to an issue. If I was directly hateful, I really do apologize. I should have advised them to join our forum, everyone here is so polite and yet they all run away when they realize that only ethical breeding is supported here.
                          Yes, the name calling and un-adult- like comments get to be a bit much..we try hard to catch them before they get out of hand and get them deleted, but Monika, Debbie, Victoria and I just can't be there 24/7.. If I check in on my phone I can't delete anything so I have to wait until I get to a computer or hope one of the others gets on to catch it...
                          It does get very frustrating at times.... I know there is a lot I want to say to some people and have to bite my tongue and remember I am a mod so need to keep it professional.
                          sigpic
                          Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
                          Associate Member GDCNE
                          Member GSPCA
                          Member NAVHDA
                          Member Central Maine Kennel Club
                          High Hopes Great Danes & German Shorthairs

Comment

That page is really big and there's a whole lot of stupid out there...and sadly those kind of posts represent the thinking of the general pet-owing population. "Omg cute puppy I wonder how big he'll get and what crazy color I can find" is all a lot of people care about. I don't comment much there any more because it just makes me sad to see the same crap over and over. You can't win an argument with an idiot. Dale and the other mods have the patience of saints! If it were my group, there would be way more booting and banning members I wield the boot button with a heavy hand on the raw group I help admin...its just not worth the stress.

If it's any consolation, I pointed 2 people from the page in the direction well-bred puppies and good breeders and they're both talking with the breeders now. It may feel like we're totally outnumbered by stupid, but posts about buying responsibly do make a difference, even if it's just a few people here and there
                            sigpic
                            Chaucey
                            Asaah ~ xxx Asaah LaLa, CGC, registered therapy dog

Comment

Originally posted by kahluadanes View Post
                              If I check in on my phone I can't delete anything so I have to wait until I get to a computer or hope one of the others gets on to catch it...
                              You should be able to remove comments and boot members on your phone from the FB app...or at least I can on my iPhone and iPad since the last update. You have to be in the group page to do it, not your news feed. To delete a whole post, you hit the little arrow on the top right and pick either Delete or Delete and Block User to ban the person from the group (my favorite button). If you want to delete just a comment, you just tap the comment and select Delete.
                              sigpic
                              Chaucey
                              Asaah ~ xxx Asaah LaLa, CGC, registered therapy dog

Comment

Working...
                              X