Buying a puppy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying a puppy

I know you can't post breeder info on this site so I won't ask. Anybody have any suggestions on buying a Great Dane? I have been reaching out to breeders and I am having so much trouble finding puppies. I am not even getting calls back so I can put a deposit down for upcoming liters. I only got one response and after researching the company, I found it to be questionable so I didn't want to deal with them. My family and I really want a Great Dane but I keep hitting rode blocks. Any suggestions would be appreciated. If I am allowed to provide my email in case anybody has any info that they can't provide on this site- correggio92872@yahoo.com

Thank you,
    Karen

Hi! Sorry to hear you are hitting so many roadblocks. Just as a reminder, but it appears you are doing your research, make sure you check the ABCs to make sure you are buying from a reputable breeder.

For help on breeders, go to the top of this forum and it says DOL Home. Click that, and you will be brought to a new page and at the top is a green/white paw print that says Breeders. Click that, and on the left are a bunch of Danes colors. Click that, and all the names there are reputable breeders

Good luck!
    sigpic
    Willow and Liv

Comment

Have you checked GDCA.org ? Send one of us a PM for details on some possible breeders. I just went through the process and would be happy to help via PM.

Comment

The gdca website has a breeder referral section by state. Also check to see if there's a Great Dane club in your state. Many of their websites have breeder referral sections or you can often email the secretary to ask for referrals. Dog shows are also great places to meet good breeders, plus you can meet them and some of their dogs in person. You can go to infodog.com to look and see if there is a show near you. If you share what state you live in, some of us may be able to message you some reputable breeders we might know of in your general area.
        sigpic
        Chaucey
        Asaah ~ xxx Asaah LaLa, CGC, registered therapy dog

Comment

Also keep in mind, show season is picking up again and a lot breeders have a litter on the ground right now. Not to mention, they usually have a full time job and families to tend to as well. So they are very busy people. When I was contacting breeders I think it took anywhere from 2 weeks to 2 months before they got back to me. Don't be discouraged by the amount of time it takes to find a puppy. Take your time in finding the right breeder, form a relationship with them, and go from there.
          ~Kelsey, mom to~
          Kumah-merle Great Dane 4 years
          Nala-fawn Great Dane 2 months
          Cece- Calico 4 years
          Sammy- Black Domestic Long Hair 3 years
          Tyke- 4 months

Comment

Hi Karen
            There are multiple breeders with available pups at any given time, that doesn't mean that the they will just sell them to the first person who calls though. May I ask how you are introducing yourself to these breeders? Reputable breeders want to get to know you before they consider placing a puppy with you.
            Eta: Do you have a preferred color? Do you plan to show? Have you ever owned a Dane or giant breed dog?
            Last edited by shighland; 03-09-2016, 08:53 PM.

Comment

Buying a puppy

Originally posted by shighland View Post
              Hi Karen
              There are multiple breeders with available pups at any given time, that doesn't mean that the they will just sell them to the first person who calls though. May I ask how you are introducing yourself to these breeders? Reputable breeders want to get to know you before they consider placing a puppy with you.
              Eta: Do you have a preferred color? Do you plan to show? Have you ever owned a Dane or giant breed dog?
              Hi - I understand that if they are a good breeder then they want to know who their pups are going to. Most of the breeders I have contacted, I complete the puppy application answering questions about my background as to previous pets and things like that. We are looking for a family pet, not to show. We are not very picky about a color. I don't want fawn or brindle but will take any other color. We have never owned a Dane but we have done our research. We have owned a Weimeraner and German Shorthaired Pointer. We lost our Weimeraner back in 2012 and our GSP passed away in July. I will continue to look and be patient as I do understand that a lot of these breeders have jobs, families and other things going on. I appreciate the feedback here. There is so much useful information.

Thanks,
              Karen

Comment

Where are you located? Willing to travel?

Comment

My best advice to you - find a few local shows. Look at the show schedules and find the Dane's ring time. Drive to the show, arrive at the ring about 45 minutes early, and start a few conversations with some Dane people. Some of them may be handlers and may not be too interested in chatting with you, but some of them are going to be breeder handlers and I've found that most of them are very friendly.

Ask them about setting up a kennel visit, about their dogs, about their lines, etc. Just because you don't want a show dog doesn't mean you should buy from someone who doesn't show. By a vast majority, people who show are the people who are also doing research into their bitch/sire decisions, health testing their stock, etc.

Alternatively, find a local Dane club. Most of them do monthly meetings. Go to a meeting and start asking questions about who to contact. There may be breeders there, or owners who can point you the right way.

Pretty much, breeders get inundated with non-serious inquiries about their puppies. Constantly. E-mails like "hey, I have $300, will that get me a puppy?" and such. So your genuine interest is probably getting lost amongst dozens of other e-mails that aren't serious.

Best thing to do is get your face out there and meet the people who are active with the breed in your area
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Correggio92872 View Post
                    Hi - I understand that if they are a good breeder then they want to know who their pups are going to. Most of the breeders I have contacted, I complete the puppy application answering questions about my background as to previous pets and things like that. We are looking for a family pet, not to show. We are not very picky about a color. I don't want fawn or brindle but will take any other color. We have never owned a Dane but we have done our research. We have owned a Weimeraner and German Shorthaired Pointer. We lost our Weimeraner back in 2012 and our GSP passed away in July. I will continue to look and be patient as I do understand that a lot of these breeders have jobs, families and other things going on. I appreciate the feedback here. There is so much useful information.

Thanks,
                    Karen
                    Completing an application online may or may not be a red flag.Many irresponsible breeders have applications online. A website is not necessarily a good way to find a responsible breeder.Many irresponsible breeders have beautiful websites. Also be aware that finding a Dane harle, blue, mantle or black is often harder then finding a well bred fawn or brindle so the search may take a bit longer depending on where you are located.The criteria for a pet is the same as it is for a show potential.. a responsible breeder breeds for the same complete package.
                    sigpic
                    Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
                    Associate Member GDCNE
                    Member GSPCA
                    Member NAVHDA
                    Member Central Maine Kennel Club
                    High Hopes Great Danes & German Shorthairs

Comment

When we were investigating a puppy I must have talked (mostly via email) with ten breeders. Several I dismissed as irresponsible, including one that had produced a dear friend's dane - one of my favorite dogs ever.

I started by emailing the breeders, telling them about us in detail, pet history, living situation, work situations, attitudes about training, why we were interested in a dane, questions we had about whether the fit was right, questions about their practices, etc.

I didn't fill out an online application until I found a breeder that I was really comfortable with. And we were referred to that breeder by another one who thought I was a good candidate based on our exchanges, but wasn't planning any litters in the next year.

We had several exchanges via email, then talked on the phone a couple of times. I loved her - and still do! Then we had to wait to find out if she would have a puppy for us, she was really careful about selection and personality. Thankfully, five months later we brought home Spike.

There were a couple of breeders who didn't get back to me, but mostly everyone did. I think it helps to put in the time to let them know you've thought about the situation and are serious. Anyone can fill out an application. Good luck in your search!
                      -Yvonne

Comment

I agree with just sending an email, and give the breeder info about you, your family, your living situation, and what you're looking for. I tried to provide a lot of information so the breeder knew I was serious and had done some research. I'm sure they get plenty of "do you have pups available?" emails that they just delete. When I found one I liked, I went to meet her at a show and was able to talk to her in person and meet Finn's mother. I highly recommend going to a show if you can.
                        sigpic
                        Chaucey
                        Asaah ~ xxx Asaah LaLa, CGC, registered therapy dog

Comment

Working...
                        X