$3,000-$5,000 for a pup?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• $3,000-$5,000 for a pup?

I can't understand what justifies charging / spending $3,000-$5,000 for a pup. Is it because you can say it comes from champion blood lines or so you can say you paid that much? Is there a 175% guarantee that it's NOT going to have ANY medical problems? Is it going to be more handsome or prettier than a lesser costing Dane? Is it going to be easier to potty train? Is it going to listen / learn better? Is it going to clean up after itself and wipe its own as*? Is it not going to get dirty? Is it not going to want to interact or be able to interact with a lesser costing dog? Is it allowed to leave the house and walk on the street? Was the pup delivered in the confines of a prestigious hospital by the hands of a world renowned vet? Even if you're showing the dog, other than notereity, what are you gaining from it? The list can go on and on.

The same applies to these new designer breeds: $6,000 for a miniature Frenchie....seriously?!

I know I'm being sarcastic a bit, but I really just don't understand. Somebody please implore your wealth of knowledge and fill me in
    Last edited by Maximus146; 03-08-2016, 07:25 PM.

It is expensive to show dogs to championships and grand championships. It is expensive to health test dogs. It is expensive to raise litters the right way. At $3K per puppy, reputable Dane breeders aren't even CLOSE to making back what they put into their dogs.

Puppies from dogs who have higher risk pregnancies, or dogs who can only be bred once, or twice maximum, are also generally more expensive. Also, giant breeds with higher vet bills, and dogs like Frenchies and English Bulldogs that have problems giving natural birth, are generally going to have more pricey puppies.

However, price alone is NO guarantee of quality. There are plenty of backyard breeders out there who charge $3-5K for 'rare' or 'designer' colors. On the other side of that argument, you get what you pay for, most of the time. Puppies from reputable breeders with proven bitches generally range from $2-3K and I have NO problem paying that amount of money to get a puppy from a healthy sire/bitch mating, with parents who are proven and titled, from a breeder who does research and generally cares about the breed.

If anyone is concerned about dropping $3K on a puppy, Danes are not the breed for them. That's just the beginning of what the costs of food, vet care and health insurance will be.
    Last edited by Hiraeth; 03-08-2016, 07:35 PM.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Hiraeth View Post
      It is expensive to show dogs to championships and grand championships. It is expensive to health test dogs. It is expensive to raise litters the right way. At $3K per puppy, reputable Dane breeders aren't even CLOSE to making back what they put into their dogs.

Puppies from dogs who have higher risk pregnancies, or dogs who can only be bred once, or twice maximum, are also generally more expensive. Also, giant breeds with higher vet bills, and dogs like Frenchies and English Bulldogs that have problems giving natural birth, are generally going to have more pricey puppies.

However, price alone is NO guarantee of quality. There are plenty of backyard breeders out there who charge $3-5K for 'rare' or 'designer' colors. On the other side of that argument, you get what you pay for, most of the time. Puppies from reputable breeders with proven bitches generally range from $2-3K and I have NO problem paying that amount of money to get a puppy from a healthy sire/bitch mating, with parents who are proven and titled, from a breeder who does research and generally cares about the breed.

If anyone is concerned about dropping $3K on a puppy, Danes are not the breed for them. That's just the beginning of what the costs of food, vet care and health insurance will be.
      It's such a shame that spending that much for a pup comes with absolutely no guarantees. I paid well under $1,000 for Zeus and he's had absolutely no medical issues what-so-ever and is smart as a whip with a one of a kind personality. I guess I just got lucky....

I guess I just never knew the justification behind spending that much for a pup....no matter what the breed. But thank you for the insight.

Good looking Dane btw
      Last edited by Maximus146; 03-08-2016, 08:20 PM.

Comment

Sounds like you did get lucky. My cousin got a $500 Saint Bernard and has spent thousands in vet bills. The dog is not healthy and doesn't really have a temperament appropriate to the breed. You generally do get what you pay for, although there are certainly plenty of crappy breeders charging $3,000 for backyard bred dogs.

Realistically, you're probably not going to pay $3,000-$5,000 for a well bred Dane pup unless you're looking for a harl to show. More like $1,000-$2,500 for a pet puppy. My money went to someone who spent a lot of time, effort, and money to breed a healthy puppy that is a good example of the breed, from a bloodline with good health, excellent temperaments, and good longevity. If money is an issue, then get a rescue or a different breed. Also, guarantees are for major appliances. There are absolutely no guarantees that nothing will ever go wrong when it comes to live animals. That's why you buy from someone who is working hard to breed healthy dogs.
        sigpic
        Chaucey
        Asaah ~ xxx Asaah LaLa, CGC, registered therapy dog

Comment

Maximus, the purpose of showing is not notoriety, but to judge the breeding stock. That's why show dogs are unaltered. Also, the process of showing is probably the closest thing you'll get to a real temperament test (hanging out in close quarters in strange new places with a bunch of intact dogs, in motels rooms & campers - a bad-tempered dane would be impossible to handle).

Totally agree with you about "designer dogs" aka deliberate mutts. Hearing somebody say they have/acquired a something-poo just makes me grind my teeth
          sigpicLisa
          Missing Mira (7/15/03-12/17/13)

Comment

Originally posted by oshagcj914 View Post
            Sounds like you did get lucky. My cousin got a $500 Saint Bernard and has spent thousands in vet bills. The dog is not healthy and doesn't really have a temperament appropriate to the breed. You generally do get what you pay for, although there are certainly plenty of crappy breeders charging $3,000 for backyard bred dogs.

Realistically, you're probably not going to pay $3,000-$5,000 for a well bred Dane pup unless you're looking for a harl to show. More like $1,000-$2,500 for a pet puppy. My money went to someone who spent a lot of time, effort, and money to breed a healthy puppy that is a good example of the breed, from a bloodline with good health, excellent temperaments, and good longevity. If money is an issue, then get a rescue or a different breed. Also, guarantees are for major appliances. There are absolutely no guarantees that nothing will ever go wrong when it comes to live animals. That's why you buy from someone who is working hard to breed healthy dogs.
            Isnt there a sense of guilt from these people charging high prices for unhealthy pups? I mean some sense of morals doesn't even cross their minds....

Guarantees are for major appliances....well put! Lol

Actually Zeus has a tag-along coming in the form of a baby blue....$1,800 with ears cropped. Not too bad....

Thanks for your input....

What'd program, or filter, did you use for your sig pics?

Comment

Originally posted by Rootlis View Post
              Maximus, the purpose of showing is not notoriety, but to judge the breeding stock. That's why show dogs are unaltered. Also, the process of showing is probably the closest thing you'll get to a real temperament test (hanging out in close quarters in strange new places with a bunch of intact dogs, in motels rooms & campers - a bad-tempered dane would be impossible to handle).

Totally agree with you about "designer dogs" aka deliberate mutts. Hearing somebody say they have/acquired a something-poo just makes me grind my teeth
              I've never been to a show....although I think it'd be cool.

A Dane-something-poo....it's coming. Give it time....lol. I'll fall off my rocker AND grind my teeth!!

Thanks again

Comment

Originally posted by Maximus146 View Post
                Isnt there a sense of guilt from these people charging high prices for unhealthy pups? I mean some sense of morals doesn't even cross their minds....
                A reputable breeder who has done all of their research, has titled their dogs and has done everything to set their puppies up for success who sells an unhealthy puppy should not have to question their morality. It's chance. Most reputable breeders offer health guarantees in the case the puppy has a genetic defect, as well.

The only people who should feel guilty for selling unhealthy puppies are people who breed puppies from untested and unproven parents. They are setting their puppies and their puppy's future owners up for failure and doing a disservice to the breed.

For some reason, the whole conversation about money and the attitude about the fact that someone would spend $5K on a puppy is either an elitist looking for a status symbol or thinks their puppy is just more special than any other puppy kind of strikes me as reverse snobbery. Like the people who turn their noses up at me for driving a BMW. How is it any of their business? I like my car, I worked hard for my car, I spent MY money on my car. Why does anyone else get to judge me for what I determined was a good way to spend my income? I certainly don't drive around judging people who drive a Ford Taurus because they decided that was the best car for them.

And quite frankly, if you truly BELIEVE in your breeder and in the goals of their program, then you should want to financially support them and shouldn't be looking around for a good bargain. I don't choose breeder based on price. I choose breeder based on their MERIT and then I figure out how to afford whatever they determine is a fair price for their puppies. And thinking as a breeder potentially would, anyone who is concerned with price first and other variables second is NOT someone I would sell a puppy to.
                sigpic

Comment

If you get a chance to go to a couple of shows you should..

I know of a harle Dane litter right now $3000 for pups.. does it seem high? probably to most people looking for a pet on a budget.. but I know everything that went into that litter.. starting with when mom was bought..all the research that went into buying mom, raising mom, handling classes, proper nutrition, then showing to her CH and GCH, all the hard work and dedication her owner had.. the hours and hours of pedigree research to find a mate that would compliment her, all the health testing, stud fee, care of mom during pregnancy, care of pups, first vet exam, first vaccines, deworming, etc.. I've watched this litter grow for 9 weeks and watched them one by one go to new homes, watched the screening of all the potential buyers that were on the waiting list, watched the entire process.. every penny for each pup was earned and then some.
                  sigpic
                  Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
                  Associate Member GDCNE
                  Member GSPCA
                  Member NAVHDA
                  Member Central Maine Kennel Club
                  High Hopes Great Danes & German Shorthairs

Comment

I get inquiries all the time from people who want one of my puppies (from CH/CHIC parents and multiple working titles) with a budget of $500. I'm sorry, but that is almost insulting. Clearly they have no idea the amount of time, money, blood, sweat and tears that goes into a REPUTABLE breeding program. And even at "fair" prices, I don't actually make a dime on my dogs. If I do end up in the black, it gets dumped right back into the dogs, one way or another.

OP, color does matter. I know many reputable breeders who sell fawn puppies in the $1200-1500 range. I do not know of a single reputable blue breeder who sells pets for less than $2000.

If budget is the biggest concern: 1) the Great Dane MAY not be the breed for you and 2) rescue/adopt. Your risks for issues and lack of support are about the same for a rescue vs a BYB pup so better to rescue than financially support someone who is breeding for the wrong reasons.
                    *Jennifer*
                    Member GDC of Mid-Florida
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Hiraeth View Post
                      A reputable breeder who has done all of their research, has titled their dogs and has done everything to set their puppies up for success who sells an unhealthy puppy should not have to question their morality. It's chance. Most reputable breeders offer health guarantees in the case the puppy has a genetic defect, as well.

The only people who should feel guilty for selling unhealthy puppies are people who breed puppies from untested and unproven parents. They are setting their puppies and their puppy's future owners up for failure and doing a disservice to the breed.

For some reason, the whole conversation about money and the attitude about the fact that someone would spend $5K on a puppy is either an elitist looking for a status symbol or thinks their puppy is just more special than any other puppy kind of strikes me as reverse snobbery. Like the people who turn their noses up at me for driving a BMW. How is it any of their business? I like my car, I worked hard for my car, I spent MY money on my car. Why does anyone else get to judge me for what I determined was a good way to spend my income? I certainly don't drive around judging people who drive a Ford Taurus because they decided that was the best car for them.

And quite frankly, if you truly BELIEVE in your breeder and in the goals of their program, then you should want to financially support them and shouldn't be looking around for a good bargain. I don't choose breeder based on price. I choose breeder based on their MERIT and then I figure out how to afford whatever they determine is a fair price for their puppies. And thinking as a breeder potentially would, anyone who is concerned with price first and other variables second is NOT someone I would sell a puppy to.
                      That's what I'm trying to get at with the sense of moral issues and just nerve: how can somebody feel good about charging that much money especially if the pups not healthy? It's beyond me....

And sadly enough yes....I do feel some people buy Danes to establish some sort of status symbol. I bought my first one as a means to keep me company and because I knew I could raise it well. And I have another coming this weekend to keep Zeus company

Buuuuut....I completely understand you on the BWM issue when I had one....lol. No matter how inconspicuous I would try to be and NOT draw attention to myself, I used to get snobby stares. But it was ALRIGHT when they would motion me to slow down so they could take a pic of Zeus towering out of the back seat. It's whatever....let the haters hate

Comment

Originally posted by oceanbluedanes View Post
                        I get inquiries all the time from people who want one of my puppies (from CH/CHIC parents and multiple working titles) with a budget of $500. I'm sorry, but that is almost insulting. Clearly they have no idea the amount of time, money, blood, sweat and tears that goes into a REPUTABLE breeding program. And even at "fair" prices, I don't actually make a dime on my dogs. If I do end up in the black, it gets dumped right back into the dogs, one way or another.

OP, color does matter. I know many reputable breeders who sell fawn puppies in the $1200-1500 range. I do not know of a single reputable blue breeder who sells pets for less than $2000.

If budget is the biggest concern: 1) the Great Dane MAY not be the breed for you and 2) rescue/adopt. Your risks for issues and lack of support are about the same for a rescue vs a BYB pup so better to rescue than financially support someone who is breeding for the wrong reasons.
                        I would feel insulted too if I was a breeder and was offered $500 for a pup. It's not a question of somebody looking for a bargain....I was curious as to what makes a pup worth $3,500. A lot of good input....thanks

Comment

Here's a good link, not about danes, but you can apply the ideas to any purebred breeding done correctly.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dogs/commen...g_a_reputably/
                          Tracy
                          sigpic
                          Mouse April 2010
                          Echo -- run free, Sweetie! Jan 9, 2007 - April 24, 2014 Lost to osteosarcoma at 7 years, 3 months. RIP.

Comment

Something else to point out is that good breeders are a very VALUABLE resource. I have talked to several good breeders. Each of them spent close to an hour or more with me on the phone making sure I was a good home and giving me advice and insight. My current breeder helped me decide on if i should pexy or not, what kind of flea and tick medicine, what kind of food, what kind of vet, what kind of trainer etc. My breeder is also giving me the best shot with trying to match personality with my large family and possible future as a therapy dog.

I would consider it a VERY good deal for the price.

Comment

Originally posted by mnmouse View Post
                              Here's a good link, not about danes, but you can apply the ideas to any purebred breeding done correctly.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dogs/commen...g_a_reputably/
                              Great article....she really got in depth with her numbers

Comment

Working...
                              X