Rescue vs breeder?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rescue vs breeder?

Hi Everyone, I'm new here and I've been reading the forums and there seems to be a lot of solid information - thank you for that! I need some advice from someone who has more experience than I do. I've had animals all my life, and my husband grew up with great danes but we haven't gotten a dog in the 15 years we've been married because we've had too many other animals. Growing up I had small dogs and a large 80lb lab/rottweiler/something mix, so the size of a great dane won't be an issue. We are finally in a place where we can have a dog, and we want a great dane.

I've also had my share of animals with heath problems - a blind dog, two diabetics with 2x a day blood sugar testing and shots, one 19 y o cat with kidney disease to whom we had to give IV fluids at home 3x a week, a ferret who had to be hand fed and nursed for weeks - caring for sick pets is not a big deal in my house. We have a separate savings account just for vet bills.

But I have had horrible experiences with animal rescue and puppies from city animal shelters. As a teenager we had three puppies in a row that didn't live more than a few months and weren't treatable that came from those places, and while I would rather save a life, I need some advice. That being said, we do have a great general rescue group locally, but.

What we need in a dog is a trainable temperament that will be safe with neighborhood kids, cats and my elderly father who has some mobility issues. I also live in a pretty rural area and dog fighting rings way out in the country are a problem here and while the sheriff's office is trying, I know some of the poor dogs that have been subjected to that will end up in local rescue/shelters. There's also a very local great dane by breeder who has parvo and other health problems whose dogs I'm sure will also end up in the shelter here.

So here's my question - if we ended up with a great dane from a rescue who had a scary past, is the breed generally trainable to overcome that? I really feel like training is so important in a dog so large, and if we had a dog that couldn't be around my father it would be heartbreaking. I don't mind doing extra training classes or work with a dog - that's part of having a dog anyway I think - but I don't want to end up with a dog who can't safely interact with the public or my dad.

Given all that, my husband thinks we have to start with a puppy. My vet also thinks a puppy is a good idea, but she also says she is not a great dane expert and I should ask the experts. All the dane rescues around here have dogs with descriptions like "strong prey drive/ not with kids/not with small animals" and that doesn't sound like what I've read the personality of a great dane is normally. What do you guys think? I tend to think love can fix anything, but I'm a sucker for any animal and you guys know more than I do about these animals.

I've had dogs in the past that we got as 8 week pups, and a dog now that is a rescue. It can be so hit or miss, and I know that a puppy from questionable breeding or without consistent, appropriate training from its owner can definitely have temperament issues no matter where it came from. That being said, with rescues, you generally have more hurdles to overcome training-wise because you can sometimes have years of issues and baggage to overcome. It can definitely be done, but it's not always easy. We rescued Gracie, but she was only about 6 months old when we got her-- still definitely trainable. We lucked out in that her temperament is excellent, which is the reason that we chose her in the first place, as we didn't have our hearts set on any particular breed. (But I am now a Dane convert! Our dog and all the other Danes that we've met since having her have made me fall in love with the breed! I don't know if I would ever own another breed now. )

I'm sure everyone has an opinion and a preference regarding buying or rescuing, and there are definitely valid points to going either way. I would agree that in *general* (and this is a blanket statement) a puppy will probably be easier to train than a fully grown dog; (however, consider that you will also have "puppy issues" to overcome like housebreaking, crate training, crying at night initially, etc.) But that doesn't mean you should rule out rescue entirely, but just consider where you're looking.

There are many breed-specific rescues that keep their Danes in foster homes, and their foster parents can tell you exactly what the temperament of the dog is like and will help you to find the most compatible dog for your family. Not EVERY dog who ends up in a rescue is a sick or badly behaved dog. Sometimes dogs end up in rescue for other unforseeable reasons-- a divorce, death of an owner, or a child developing allergies. Many of these dogs are already well-trained with good temperaments.

I commend you for considering rescue but I also COMPLETELY understand your concerns! Whereabouts do you live? Forum members may be able to point you in the direction of some reputable breeders and/or Dane rescues in your area so that you can do a bit of looking and find the best fit for your family.
    sigpic
    “Saving one dog will not change the world, but surely for that one dog, the world will change forever.”

Comment

Thanks for your thoughts. I live just west of Ft. Worth in Texas. It's probably 6 months or so before we are ready to bring home a dog, but I like to make really informed decisions

I love the idea of a rescue, but maybe I ought to rescue a 2nd great dane, not the first once I've had. I've been around a friend's dane, and of course my husband has had them, but I'd be the primary puppy person and I haven't had a puppy since I was a teenager. I just don't know - that's why I'm here.

Comment

Keep in mind that a lot of Danes turned into rescues were done at no fault of their own (family issues, death of owners etc).

Maybe consider rescuing an older Dane who has proven to have a solid temperament. They aren't so rambunctious when they are older and that can be easier around your father with mobility issues. Then maybe consider adding a puppy from a breeder once the older rescue is settled in. Just another option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        *Jennifer*
        Member GDC of Mid-Florida
        sigpic

Comment

That's an idea. I'm sure we're going to end up with 2 at some point - everyone needs playmates and if 1 is good 2 are always better.

I guess it's just when the foster from the rescue posts things like "bad with kids/high prey drive" I tend to think those are training issues, not permanent dog problems, but I've never had those issues in a dog so big. I trained fear biting out of a rescue Sheltie once, but that's a totally different dog who I could pick up and remove from a situation. I don't think I'll be picking up and carrying off an adult Great Dane!

Comment

Originally posted by oceanbluedanes View Post
            Maybe consider rescuing an older Dane who has proven to have a solid temperament. They aren't so rambunctious when they are older and that can be easier around your father with mobility issues. Then maybe consider adding a puppy from a breeder once the older rescue is settled in. Just another option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            I think that's a great idea. OP, I sent you a private message.
            sigpic
            “Saving one dog will not change the world, but surely for that one dog, the world will change forever.”

Comment

If you go with a rescue, definitely use a good breed rescue. Carrollton and El Paso both have Dane rescues, and I think Austin and Houston. They do more screening than a shelter would and you're much more likely to get a dog that suits your needs. I would discuss your concerns and needs with a person from the rescue and I bet they could match you up with a nice mentally stable Dane.
              sigpic
              Fergus
              SC Dinnie Stone Guardian, CGC
              Eisen Shark
              C Shadows On The Sun, CGC

Comment

I can't really speak much to rescuing as the only ones I've had weren't really rescued so much as dumped at our house. My husband and I chose to go with a breeder because it was our first Dane and we really wanted the breeder support. We then got a second Dane and went with an adult from a reputable breeder. Asaah is darn near perfect, very well-mannered and well trained A puppy is nice because you can raise them the way you want, but in an adult, you have a much better idea of the temperament. Plus, Dane puppies get really big really fast and they're clutzy. Finn runs into us and steps on our feet all the time. If your father has mobility issues, an adult might be a better option for you. Either a reputable breeder or a reputable rescue should be able to find a good fit for you. Suzanne already pointed out some good rescues, but you can always look on the Great Dane Breeder/Owner Rehoming page on Facebook if you want to go with a breeder. That's where I found Asaah. Or contact your closest Great Dane club and see if they can recommend someone.
                sigpic
                Chaucey
                Asaah ~ xxx Asaah LaLa, CGC, registered therapy dog

Comment

I have three rescues and none of them have a high prey drive , you would have to alert my Danes run over and get the prey yourself
                  Jokes aside ,I would ask a rescue if you could foster an older Dane so it gives you an idea on what to expect !! Puppies are a lot of work ......I have a seven month old ( not a Dane ) who still needs training about every other day , she might have ADD though . Please make sure if you go the puppy route to find a reputable breeder who shows and OFA health test .Kudos to you for doing all this research before you got a Dane.
                  Side note, many rescues say no children under eight years old not for aggressive behavior but for safety reasons ( their tail can be lethal )
                  Good luck to you
                  sigpic

Comment

I've done both. Our first GD was a rescue from a local GD rescue. She was an amazing dog but likely came from a backyard breeder and had lots of health issues. She passed away at 4 last September. It was devastating.

Our current GDs both came from the same breeder. While the puppy is still in crazy stage, I have noticed differences between our older breeder dane and the rescue. His temperament is amazing. He is uber tolerant of our kids and the puppy. I know our rescue dane would have had a much tougher time with a pup. Our adult breeder GD is also so much healthier than our rescue dane. I'm hoping he will be with us a lot longer because I cannot deal with that much heartbreak again anytime soon.

However, I do think the idea of getting an adult rescue and then a puppy from a good breeder is a great one. That way you can get your feet wet first without dealing with the mania of a GD puppy. It's intense!
                    sigpic
                    6 year old brindle male GD
                    3 year old black female GD

Comment

I'm very pro-rescue, all of my pets were rescues of some sort. That being said, your concerns about rescue danes are legit. Along with the giant size comes special health concerns and any "dangerous" behaviors are that much more of a problem just because of the size of a dane. Danes in rescue end up there for all sorts of reasons, but the basic one is that they were not produced by a responsible, ethical breeder who is breeding to better the breed. I worked with a dane rescue for awhile and a lot of the danes that came through had some severe issues that required a very special home. Some were not adoptable because of behavior issues.

BUT...some of the danes were absolutely LOVELY. Just sweet angels who were perfect, just scared and unsure and they just needed a stable home to blossom. A responsible breed specific dane rescue will know what they are doing when it comes to evaluating the dogs in their care. They will be up front with their findings to potential adopters because they do NOT want to take a dog back (but of course they would)--they want to find them forever homes and see them happy in a home that fits them well. The one nice thing about getting an adult dane from a responsible, dane-specific rescue is that you know what you are getting, temperament-wise. Raising a dane puppy is hard work, and you don't ever really know what you'll end up with, even if you do everything correctly.

So, you'll either be waiting for a litter from a responsible, ethical breeder (read the ABCs of buying a dane puppy link on this site!) or you can get an approved application on file with a dane-specific rescue and wait for that perfect-for-you adult dane to come along. Neither is quick, but both can get you a wonderful dane that fits your life well.
                      Tracy
                      sigpic
                      Mouse April 2010
                      Echo -- run free, Sweetie! Jan 9, 2007 - April 24, 2014 Lost to osteosarcoma at 7 years, 3 months. RIP.

Comment

Originally posted by oceanbluedanes View Post
                        Maybe consider rescuing an older Dane who has proven to have a solid temperament.
                        i haven't read all of the posts but i will second this in a heartbeat! i have had 4 rescue danes, 2 of them being seniors when i got them. they are wonderful, loving dogs! i will always have senior rescues. all they want are a warm, cushy bed, good food and lots of lovin'. no better dogs in the world as far as i'm concerned!
                        [SIGPIC]

Comment

Working...
                        X