Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone have success getting a Dane puppy while renting a home?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone have success getting a Dane puppy while renting a home?

Hello all!

Here's my situation. My husband and I are in love with Great Danes and English Mastiffs and plan on adopting one of each within a year of each other. Ideally, they'll be puppies. I believe that they'll have a bigger chance of having living longer if they come from reputable breeders and if we take very good care of them from the start.

We would like to own a home before we get our dogs, because renting a home with a puppy (especially one that will be 100+ pounds) will be difficult for obvious reasons.

Here's where the problem lies: my husband is "in line" to get a job as an air traffic controller. But because of recent policy changes with the FAA in the hiring process, this may take anywhere from a year to 5 years or more. We've already been waiting for 2 years, with no end in sight.

So, I'm going crazy not knowing when I'm going to get my first gentle giant pup. I'm thinking maybe I'll look into convincing my current landlord to allow us to get a puppy. We already have a dog (Cairn Terrier) who is well behaved and completely non destructive. We have been model tenants (paying rent on time, no damage, good neighbors in the community).

What do you think my chances of finding a landlord that will allow a gentle giant puppy in their home? How can I convince one that already allows small dogs in their house to let me get a big one? Any experience here?

Sorry for the long post, but I think it's important you know our situation and where we're coming from. Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    sigpic

We rent our home and our landlady has no issue with us having a Dane. When I asked her about it before we renewed our lease (before getting Ferg) she said, "Sure! I think every family should have a well behaved dog!" and wrote it into our lease that we may have pets, but we are responsible for any damages caused by them. I know not everyone is so easily convinced, but she's a dog person, and she's met him several times now. Even occasionally brings by family members to meet him lol. It can be done- just requires a bit of looking around.
    sigpic
    Fergus
    SC Dinnie Stone Guardian, CGC
    Eisen Shark
    C Shadows On The Sun, CGC

Comment

I'm currently living in my third rental with two danes. It really depends on the city. My home city is definitely not large dog friendly and it took months to find a place that was okay with an adult dane and a puppy coming home. When I switched cities it was way easier, found totally pet friendly places within a week of looking.
      Zephyr CGN, RE, TT- crazy harlequin
      Divine Acres Riddle Me This- regal fawn

http://thegrownups.ca/ on life and (not) growing up.

Comment

Anyone have success getting a Dane puppy while renting a home?

Thanks for your responses! I didn't realize some cities are more dog friendly than others.

I have a list of things I can do to prove that I'm a responsible dog owner and that I'll do everything in my power to keep the puppy from doing too much damage (but let's face it, you can't predict how quickly it will take to get a puppy well trained enough to not do damage. )

-agree to pay the regular pet deposit plus agree to pay for any major damages (walls chewed, broken doors, etc)
        -dog wont be home alone for more than 1-2 hours
        -show them my current, well behaved dog
        -somehow show that I will invest in obedience training once they have their shots
        -have the landlord or the property management company come out and see that my current dog has not done any damage (I know a grown dog is different than a puppy, but it will show that I've trained her not to be destructive. (I've had her since 8 weeks and she's 9 years now))

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
        Last edited by our-gentle-giants; 07-06-2014, 11:04 PM. Reason: Grammar and clearer explanations
        sigpic

Comment

It can be difficult. Having multiple dogs is also a challenge. Having any breed that will exceed 20 lbs is also a challenge.

I know b/c we've rented with 4 dogs (and 3 birds). We currently have 3, and we're still renting. We were homeless for about a month before we found our last place, living out of hotels. Friends took 2 of the dogs, while the other 2 plus the birds, stayed with us. It took about 6 months of searching before we found each place. First time we ended up using a realtor. This last time I tried, but they blew me off after about 2 wks, and didn't return my calls. I live in a heavily rented out neighborhood and despite most of the homes being in meh condition it was still difficult finding a place in our price range that would allow dogs. The problem was the dane, even tho all my dogs are adults and well past puppyhood (were 8, 7 and 7 last move), most people see giant breed and think giant destruction, even tho that's usually not the case.

We got lucky in that our current landlord's wife sort of knew Gunther from the volunteer work I do/did with him. I was going over the dog's resume's and when talking about the dane, she asked if I was talking about Gunther........lol. I hadn't even mentioned his name. We got lucky with the last place in that we were ready to move in immediately and put a deposit down right away. We bumped the other person ahead of us out.

I'm not saying this to dissuade you, just to go in with eyes wide open. It can be an uphill battle. I definitely recommend looking way ahead of time. Even if you aren't ready to rent, you may find a property manager or landlord who will have something available when you are ready. Get doggie references, including from your current vet. You will most likely have an easier time renting a home, duplex, or condo rather than apt.

And good luck!
          sigpic

Chris, mom to: Keiko--husky/shep mix (RIP), Gunther--great dane, Nigel and Posey--rat terriers, Pasta--cockatiel, Louigi--peach fronted conure, Hamlet--blue crowned conure

Comment

In San Antonio it's no problem. We rented one home with two dogs, medium mutt and 120 lb cane corso. Then we had our puppy at the next home plus the other two. There is also an apartment complex down the road that has zero breed restrictions! And we are almost a no kill city now!
            Now we are homeowners and never have to worry. We also purchased a home in a neighborhood that does NOT allow outdoor dogs (I think it should be a law in a hot place like south Texaa!)!

Comment

Please remove your signature photo. It violates out TOU. Thank you.
              sigpic
              In Memory of Sky, EZ and Honor

Visit Poke's Facebook Page

Member of the GDC of MD.
              Well behaved danes are not born. They are “made” by responsible and caring dane owners.

Comment

It took me three months to find the rental house I am currently in. I've been here just over three years. I think the main trick is to find a landlord that has dogs themselves.

Have you thought of rescuing a Dane that is at least a certain age? My landlord said it would be fine if the dog was 2 years or older, so that they would be past the chewy puppy phase. Of course, that's no guarantee that no damage will occur after the age of two, but that's how she compromised with me. I do think it would be harder to get approval for an 8-week old Dane puppy.

By the time my landlord had met me and had figured out I would be a very good renter, that is when I dropped on her "Oh, by the way, if I can't have a Dane, then I will have to look elsewhere..." I let her know that ultimately I was finding the right rental home based on what would work for a Dane. She had insurance on the house which was up to a certain weight for dogs, but she told me she would up her insurance in order to have my Dane covered.

Good luck! I know it's hard, but eventually I think you'll find the right fit for you.
                Alex

Conor 9/1/09 - 10/31/13

Mason 10/1/09 -

sigpic

Comment

Don't most reputable breeders have as requirement that potential puppy buyers own their home? If not a hard-and-fast rule, then isn't it usually at least a big red flag to the breeder? I would think it would be almost as hard to find a pup from a reputable breeder as it is to find a landlord willing to allow a Dane.
                  --------------------------
                  Josh Wolff
                  Bowie: born 2/15/2012
                  Jayda: born 08/19/2014

sigpic

Comment

I know of a few members on the board that have gotten danes while living in a rental whether it be a house or apartment. Just because you are a renter doesn't mean you shouldn't have a dane.

Even if you own your own home ypu could be part of a strata or HOA and at times those can be far worse than landlords IMHO. Breeders will usually call the landlord to verify that the tenant is allowed to have a dane.
                    sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    X