Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why it matters to ME where YOU get your puppy from.

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why it matters to ME where YOU get your puppy from.

We live in the southeast where pet overpopulation is an epidemic.

Up to 86% of dogs who end up in shelters around here are put to sleep.

Our local shelters euthanize dogs within 24 hours unless a rescue steps up. Even so rescuers have driven hours only to arrive and find they are too late.
    Strays get a little more time, but not much.

I see people scratching their head and saying "I've never put a dog in a shelter. What does this have to do with me? I'm not going to breed my dog. Why does it matter where he/she came from?"

It does matter, and it does relate to the overpopulation epidemic, and I'll tell you why.
    YOU may be a great dog owner and never give your dog up, but what about the other 7 pups from that litter of 8? Where are they now? Oh, but that's still not your problem right? Because you're not responsible for the rest of the litter, just the pup you brought home, right?

Wrong. You BOUGHT that dog. The money you and the other puppy buyers supplied the irresponsible breeder just encouraged said breeder to repeat the cycle. To have another litter. Another bitch pumping out pups twice a year. Another 8 or 10 or 12 dogs who need homes. Another litter that we can only HOPE will end up in good homes. But if the breeder isn't keeping track, you really don't know do you? Another 12 dogs who might go on to be bred, purposely or "accidentally".

Like it or not, your dollars connect you to that cycle, and make you partially responsible. No buyers makes one close up shop pretty quickly.

Every breeder should be able to tell you where their past puppies are. Even better, every breeder should microchip their pups with THEIR information in case the worst-case scenario does happen and the dog ends up in a shelter. At least that way there is a contact. Otherwise, within 24 hours of turn-in, that dog is dead.

Health testing matters, showing matters, well thought-out matings matter. Responsible breeding is a complicated puzzle that's hard to figure out sometimes. But blatantly irresponsible breeding is easy to spot, and as DOG lovers, we ALL have a responsibility to discourage this type of breeder through education and not supporting them with our dollars.

Money talks. Make yours say you don't agree with careless breeding.
    Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened.
    - Anatole France

This thread should be a sticky.
    sigpic
    www.rescuemetugz.com

Michele, Roscoe, Ava, Romeo, (RIP Daphne)
    http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p=732e92418610139ae96918&skin_id=701&utm_so urce=otm&utm_medium=text_url
    Be part of the solution by not being part of the problem. NO BYB's!!

Comment

Another vote to sticky!

I forget that a lot of people may not realize why it matters to the rest of us and maybe just see it as being a busybody. But it does matter. Not only does supporting a backyard breeder set you up for a negative experience, it harms the breed, and individual dogs suffer, and rescue has to clean up the mess.

Even if you think that Joe Bob with the 2 litters on the nice dogs he doesn't show but have such great temperaments and all their Danes have lived for so long is a good guy who isn't doing such a bad thing, you're probably surprisingly wrong.

Over and over I've seen people believe their 'breeder' is pretty good, when in fact, its a 'breeder' who has serious temperament and health problems in their lines, sells to anyone no matter how wrong the situation is, won't take back their dogs if altered, and lands tons of dogs in rescues. Some of you may remember a local person here who was profiled on an undercover news story (after years of work she was finally put out of business) - even after years of dealing with her on the rescue side, and knowing so many people who had been fooled by her, I was floored to see how nice, and caring she came across.

By not breeding to improve temperament and health, shoddy 'breeders' do our breed a disservice, making people have bad experiences with the breed, reducing their health, and increasing the dogs in rescue.

Comment

WELL-said. I agree, it should be a sticky.
        sigpic
        -Sara-
        -Classic & Zuma-

Comment

When I wanted to rescue from MAGDRL, I wished I was down south, where there were so many dogs available. I said it was unfair, because we were picking a dog from up here. What is really unfair is that the rescues have so much work down there. We have already decided that when it is time for us to rescue again, and hopefully it is just us, and the kids are grown, we will make the trip down there to get our danes.
          Chris, Wife to Dave, and Mom three human teenagers.
          Also mom to Tori (11 yo Lab), , Ayla (2 yo brindle dane), Milo (2 yo boxer), Killian (4 week old iw pup who is still with his breeder and mommy) 3 kittens, 2 horses, multiple reptiles, 7 fainting goats, 25 chickens, and 2 pot bellied pigs, all of whom make life great!
          RIP CARLIE 2/09-2/11 & REILLY 10/4/08-11/20/12, best friends together forever now.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by alicat613 View Post
            I forget that a lot of people may not realize why it matters to the rest of us and maybe just see it as being a busybody. But it does matter. Not only does supporting a backyard breeder set you up for a negative experience, it harms the breed, and individual dogs suffer, and rescue has to clean up the mess.

Even if you think that Joe Bob with the 2 litters on the nice dogs he doesn't show but have such great temperaments and all their Danes have lived for so long is a good guy who isn't doing such a bad thing, you're probably surprisingly wrong.

Over and over I've seen people believe their 'breeder' is pretty good, when in fact, its a 'breeder' who has serious temperament and health problems in their lines, sells to anyone no matter how wrong the situation is, won't take back their dogs if altered, and lands tons of dogs in rescues. Some of you may remember a local person here who was profiled on an undercover news story (after years of work she was finally put out of business) - even after years of dealing with her on the rescue side, and knowing so many people who had been fooled by her, I was floored to see how nice, and caring she came across.

By not breeding to improve temperament and health, shoddy 'breeders' do our breed a disservice, making people have bad experiences with the breed, reducing their health, and increasing the dogs in rescue.
            This is a great point. I think people do think you're being nosy or snobby or whatever when you comment on a less than stellar breeder.
            And its not that the dogs don't deserve a home, or aren't wonderful additions to your family. Its just that there are so many other avenues to help these dogs without lining the pockets of the irresponsible, could-care-less breeders out there.

And talking to rescues can be really eye-opening too.
            The dane world is small, and part of researching a breeder should include talking to local breed rescues and asking for THEIR thoughts on a particular breeder. You'd be surprised at how "well" some of them know certain breeders.

Originally posted by crdane View Post
            When I wanted to rescue from MAGDRL, I wished I was down south, where there were so many dogs available. I said it was unfair, because we were picking a dog from up here. What is really unfair is that the rescues have so much work down there. We have already decided that when it is time for us to rescue again, and hopefully it is just us, and the kids are grown, we will make the trip down there to get our danes.
            Its bad isn't it? I feel sometimes like we're still in the dark ages around here.
            And the really scary part? Most dogs never even make it in to breed rescue. Shoot, most are lucky to get humanely PTS.

Edit: And thank you all for the "thanks", but I'm mostly just regurgitating all the good stuff I've learned here
            Last edited by ouesi; 06-21-2010, 11:45 AM.
            Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened.
            - Anatole France

Comment

Originally posted by alicat613 View Post
              Some of you may remember a local person here who was profiled on an undercover news story (after years of work she was finally put out of business) - even after years of dealing with her on the rescue side, and knowing so many people who had been fooled by her, I was floored to see how nice, and caring she came across.
              I remember her...what a mess. And if I recall correctly, didn't she (at one point) have some buyers on here defending her? 'Course, that could have been her under false identities...DOL seems to get its share of those too

Cindy
              sigpic

Comment

This is SO TRUE

I am in Savannah, GA and I can tell you the numbers are staggering regarding dogs euthanized in Chatham County alone. People should spend a day in the euthanization room-spay and neuter people-only buy from reputable breeders-adopt from rescues-it is so heartbreaking.

Comment

Sticky, sticky, sticky

Comment

And...

And just looking at all the Craigslist postings-all the litters of pups-all the people with the five month old pup who are being deployed-or having a baby and gosh we don't have time for the dog-or they just graduated from college and they can't take their dog with them-but that's another whole subject-sorry for getting off topic-

Comment

Originally posted by wouldluv2haveadane View Post
                      I remember her...what a mess. And if I recall correctly, didn't she (at one point) have some buyers on here defending her? 'Course, that could have been her under false identities...DOL seems to get its share of those too

Cindy
                      Over the years, her support, that I've seen, has really died down. There's only so much you can write off as bad luck before you realize what a crappy breeder someone is!

Sadly there are always people to take their places...

Even though I live in a pretty good area for dogs, we get pretty overwhelmed in rescue and there are always dogs needing help. I can't even imagine what its like in the deep south, and other areas where overpopulation is so much worse.

Having good homes to adopt to is always great, but if people want to know how to help (besides not supporting backyard breeders): foster. All the great adopters in the world can't help if there's no place to put the dog in the meantime.

Comment

What makes me so sad is, why would you want to buy a dog, having been warned of the health issues you may encounter. Time and again, there are posts on here of people with heath issues, or deaths from bad breeding. If I had been warned about Reilly, I would have run so fast in the opposite direction!! I will NEVER buy from a byb again. Consider me educated, in the good old fashioned belt whippin way. I have spent so much money on him, uggg.

I would love to save someone heartache, the same heartache we personally have had to endure. During our first three months of owning Reilly, three different times, my vet said he might not make it, due to health issues. We got really lucky so far, I just hope it lasts.
                        I think we should have an area permanently on DOL of horror stories about byb dogs. Maybe we do, but it is not "in your face" enough to catch people's attention. Maybe they should have to read it before being allowed to join DOL!!
                        Chris, Wife to Dave, and Mom three human teenagers.
                        Also mom to Tori (11 yo Lab), , Ayla (2 yo brindle dane), Milo (2 yo boxer), Killian (4 week old iw pup who is still with his breeder and mommy) 3 kittens, 2 horses, multiple reptiles, 7 fainting goats, 25 chickens, and 2 pot bellied pigs, all of whom make life great!
                        RIP CARLIE 2/09-2/11 & REILLY 10/4/08-11/20/12, best friends together forever now.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by crdane View Post
                          What makes me so sad is, why would you want to buy a dog, having been warned of the health issues you may encounter.
                          Its easy to get a BYB Dane. I know better now and try to educate others.

Comment

Originally posted by mydanekimba View Post
                            Its easy to get a BYB Dane. I know better now and try to educate others.
                            Yes it is and thats why they make the money they do they can care less who buys their pups.

Comment

Great post Ouesi.
                              Now if we could only convince those buyers who visit DOL that each one of them......when they make a conscience decision to hand over their money for that byber pup......are helping destroy this magnificent breed and doom more dogs to the death chamber.
                              Carolyn
                              Divine Acres Great Danes
                              Divine Acres The Legend "Bruce" 5 1/2 months old..5th generation of DA Danes!
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X