Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why it matters to ME where YOU get your puppy from.

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moni

Comment

Originally posted by WeLoveOur7Dogs View Post
      I am the one who 2 months ago euthanized my dog that I loved more than life itself because of a VERY bad temperment. It wasn't HIS fault that he was brought into this world, it is HERS. It's HER fault I had to put Leo to sleep at 6 months because of genetic defects. His hips were so bad, one was completely dis-located.
      I had my heart broken TWICE because of this BYB. The first time was my own fault, my first purebred dog purchase. The second time was my "replacement" puppy for the first one

This is why it matters to ME where you get your dog.
      Oh Moni I'm so sorry! What a slap in the face, and NOT how you want to be reminded of poor old Rip.

In situations like this, I try to remember that its never about what its about. They have puppy fever, you're probably seen as some jaded owner, its just not clicking for whatever reason. But I hold out hope that even with those making blatant bad choices now, it WILL eventually click, and they too will come around.

And then again....
      Sometimes you just CFS.
      Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened.
      - Anatole France

Comment

If you know someone is a BYB, WHY would you go to them anyway? Knowingly continuing the cycle?? How can you say you love danes???
        I'm pretty sure the person who PM'd you did so after they put down a deposit, so they tried to rationalize what they were doing. If they weren't going to listen they should have never bothered to PM you, or they decided a deposit of some 200 or 300 dollars was more important than your advice. It seems people are so obsessed over a few bucks they would rather take a chance at the BYB pup if they laid down a deposit.
        Also a lot of people go to BYB's because they have no business with a dog at all. i learned this while working at the shelter a lot of people have to go to crumby breeders because there is no way a breeder who cares about what they produce would sell to some of the super ghetto people I have meet while working at a shelter, seemed like everyday I hear someone say, they wanted a 100 dog so they spend nothing on it, and almost every surrendered dog had never been to a vet in it's entire life, people regularly balked at the idea that shelter dogs were 100 dollars, these are your BYB buyers who will keep BYBers around for a long time

Comment

If you know someone is a BYB, WHY would you go to them anyway? Knowingly continuing the cycle?? How can you say you love danes???
          It's because their desire to own a Dane is greater than their desire to do the ethical and responsible thing.

Cindy
          sigpic

Comment

After confirming that it WAS in fact the same breeder, I became the bad guy.
            Grrrrrr....
            sigpic
            Brembo, Puffin, & Rahime

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
            You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
            You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion." - Unknown

Comment

I shared this thread with facebook, and within a few minutes two of my friends, who are not dane owners, shared it on their facebook. Hoping this thread makes it around the world a couple times.

Thank you for posting.
              Tracy Miller
              sigpic
              Be Kaptain's Facebook Friend!
              Boston's Story Rest In Peace, Buddy! 11.14.2007-2.24.2011
              Dog Food Advisor

Comment

Originally posted by silentskream View Post
                I shared this thread with facebook, and within a few minutes two of my friends, who are not dane owners, shared it on their facebook. Hoping this thread makes it around the world a couple times.

Thank you for posting.
                Great idea! I just did the same. I hope I did it right.
                sigpic
                www.rescuemetugz.com

Michele, Roscoe, Ava, Romeo, (RIP Daphne)
                http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p=732e92418610139ae96918&skin_id=701&utm_so urce=otm&utm_medium=text_url
                Be part of the solution by not being part of the problem. NO BYB's!!

Comment

I think I missed this one...My computer was down at the time and I really don't want to read over 60 post to catch up. I know...I know..... I'm lazy tonight but can anyone shed some light on this and what it's about?

Thank you.

ADDED: Never mind I ended up reading it all.
                  Last edited by Susanne; 12-02-2010, 08:12 PM. Reason: Added
                  Member:
                  Macon Kennel Club
                  & Great Dane Club of the Mid-South

Comment

Where do people go who can not afford a GD at the price of around $1,000.
                    I'm no Big George but I'm still Beautiful!

Comment

Originally posted by CMCJUNDERWOOD View Post
                      I would say to a Great Dane Rescue... but then you have to know that you can afford all of the Vet bills (including emergency vet bills-I've spent thousands saving my boy and he was from a rescue) and all the proper care. The way I see it is... if you cannot afford a quality dog from a quality breeder, how can you afford to care for the dog? I would also say anywhere but a Pet store or Back Yard Breeder... ugh... putting money in the pockets of those people just disgust me and defeat the whole being of this wonderful breed. (Any breed for that matter... IMO)

But if you do not want to spend that much for a quality Great Dane from a reputable breeder then go to a Rescue... so many need homes and only cost about $125-$400.

I love to rescue, but cannot wait to get my first quality Dane from a reputable breeder! So excited! One of these days!
                      Nessa
                      Last edited by Chul3l3ies1126; 02-01-2011, 07:58 PM.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by CMCJUNDERWOOD View Post
                        Anyone CAN afford $1000 for a puppy if they are patient. If a person does their research in finding a breeder and saves their money in the meantime, anyone can do it. It's called having a plan and doing things the "right" way instead of impulse buying on a whim because the puppy is cute.
                        sigpic

Comment

In reality, that's about the average price for a pet dane. I guess if they really want a quality dane puppy from a responsible breeder, along with all the perks, they save up until they have the purchase price. They can also consider rescue. Unfortunately, when considering this breed, you also have to also take into account that the costs for general care are also much higher than smaller dogs. If the purchase price is a concern financially, They may want to consider a different breed.
                          Last edited by dolmod; 02-02-2011, 04:10 AM.
                          sigpic
                          In Memory of Sky, EZ and Honor

Visit Poke's Facebook Page

Member of the GDC of MD.
                          Well behaved danes are not born. They are “made” by responsible and caring dane owners.

Comment

Originally posted by dolmod View Post
                            In reality, that's about the average price for a pet dane. I guess if they really want a quality dane puppy from a responsible breeder, along with all the perks, they save up until they have the purchase price. They can also consider rescue. Unfortunately, when considering this breed, you also have to also take into account that the costs for general care are also much higher than smaller dogs. If the purchase price is a concern financially, They may want to consider a different breed.
                            Agreed! I used to spend $80 a month on food alone - before I started ordering breeder bags online.

Let alone everything else - and Great Dane pups grow out of collars, and crates multiple times over!
                            sigpicTexas... my first dane!

Comment

Working...
                            X