Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marmaduke Appeal! Please help spread the word

Hi everyone,

First time poster here; I'm actually based in the UK but am trying to spread the word about some of the realities of owning a Great Dane for any new, prospective Great Dane owner who esp wants one after seeing movie Marmaduke.

If you have never owned a Great Dane before and are thinking of adding one to your family, please read this informative post.

http://www.pups-seeking-homes.com/bl...dane_marmaduke

There are a few posts on this already. We were all worried about this as soon as we knew there was going to be a movie. Many Dane clubs and rescues here are actively involved in educating movie-goers. Last weekend our rescue had tables set up at a couple movie theaters and we have brochures we hand out at events on the reality of owning a Dane.
    Julie
    Duds and Miles 5- and 6-year-old fawns, Smudge (terrier mix); Bobke, Fig, Olive, Albert (cats); Einstein (African Grey), Rocky (Amazon Parrot).
    RIP Willow 12/95 - 04/04, Maia 03/05 - 10/11, Maverick 11/07-10/14, Spencer 05/06-12/14
    Upper Midwest Great Dane Rescue Volunteer www.thegreatdanerescue.com
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Danewillow View Post
      There are a few posts on this already. We were all worried about this as soon as we knew there was going to be a movie. Many Dane clubs and rescues here are actively involved in educating movie-goers. Last weekend our rescue had tables set up at a couple movie theaters and we have brochures we hand out at events on the reality of owning a Dane.
      I am curious as to how this went. Did many people stop to look at the booth or inquire about getting a dane?
      sigpic
      Roxy & Ace

Comment

Originally posted by mistified247 View Post
        I am curious as to how this went. Did many people stop to look at the booth or inquire about getting a dane?
        I wasn't at the movie theater events (they were in other states) but I heard it went well. They got a lot of attention from people going to see the movie.
        Julie
        Duds and Miles 5- and 6-year-old fawns, Smudge (terrier mix); Bobke, Fig, Olive, Albert (cats); Einstein (African Grey), Rocky (Amazon Parrot).
        RIP Willow 12/95 - 04/04, Maia 03/05 - 10/11, Maverick 11/07-10/14, Spencer 05/06-12/14
        Upper Midwest Great Dane Rescue Volunteer www.thegreatdanerescue.com
        sigpic

Comment

Thanks for posting this. I am about to get my first dane and had been looking for a list of reasons NOT to get one. I wanted to know what I needed to be prepared for. I want to make the adjustments before our girl arrives.

Comment

DD and I went to the movie last week. We liked the first few minutes of the show, when Marmaduke was being a typical great dane.....farting in the parent's bed, stealing food off the counter, drinking in the kitchen sink, digging really big holes in the garden.....after that it was just a kid's movie with computerized, animated, dogs of all breeds. Quite frankly the collie folks should be worried. Jezabell the flirting collie was beautiful.

I do not think that this movie will create the frantic 101 Dalmatians effect. The Marmaduke movie DID show some of the pitfalls of dane ownership, of course in a comedic way, but one might think that any adult would see that a dane can be a handfull to have around the house...

Comment

We helped at an education event here in MD, basically set up inside a movie theater. It worked fine--lots of people coming over to chat and pet the dogs and learn more about ownership. After seeing the movie, I'm less worried than I was before--they definitely covered the pitfalls of dane ownership. My favorite part was when it showed the consequences of letting your dane sleep outside for the night....I don't want to ruin the movie for anyone (lol), but I'll just say--it showed that danes prefer to be with their family.
              **Lindsey and Zinn**

Comment

I was one of exactly 6 people in the opening of Marmaduke.

Do not think the movie will perpetuate tons of danes as the movie, as already noted, did not paint them in any light other than how they are:

mischievous
                garden digging
                drooling
                farting
                BIG dogs
                counter-surfing
                digging
                house destroying

Can't imagine more of a deterrent!

(and agree, the collie people have more to be worried about - Jezebel was g.o.r.g.e.o.u.s!!!)

Comment

Hey guys,

thanks for your responses. hope what you say is true.

however I found this post:
                  http://chatham-county-nc.com/bulleti...=18637.new#new

Was trying to respond to it with the appeal url etc but I spent about an hour trying to register but the website won't let me. If anyone else is better with IT and internet then me(probably the lot of ya!), then please let's hit this forum too

Thanks,
                  Bob

http://www.pups-seeking-homes.com/bl...dane_marmaduke
                  Last edited by bobbrockstead; 06-13-2010, 03:46 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

Working...
                  X