Need suggestions on how to safely get fleas of my puppy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need suggestions on how to safely get fleas of my puppy

According to the site my last visit was a month ago so I obviously do not visit that often. However when I do, I have a bunch of questions.

In this case I just picked up my new puppy on Sunday, and unfortunately he has fleas. I live in a neighborhood with a lot of dogs owners, yet have not had any fleas on my dog or in my yard. Needless to say I do not want an infestation, nor do I want to be responsible for infesting the neighborhood. So what is safe to use on an 8 week old puppy to permanently get rid of them.
    I have already bathed him twice(avoiding the head because his ears were just cropped last week) with puppy shampoo, and got off about 10-15 fleas. Most of my house is tile, and I have not let him in the carpeted areas. I have also limited him to several spots in the backyard when he is doing his business or playing. The rest of the time he is in a large box for crate training, and in our laps with a white towel between him and us. The towels have gotten a flea or two on them along with the eggs. I have immediately washed them afterward, but I will only be able to do that logistically for so long. So I need a quick means of killing all these buggers.

What are your suggestions?

BTW - My puppy also has a spot/scab on his head that the breeder said was a "cup sore from the initial cropping stack". She just said to keep it moist with neosporin and it would go away and not leave a mark. He also has a pimple like sore on his tale which I just noticed after bathing him. I assume the breeder will say neosporin as well, but I wanted to get feedback from the DOL collective since I did not have these issues with my last Great Dane puppy.
    `
    It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat. Theodore Roosevelt - April 23, 1910

Fleas

Give your pup a bath with dishwashing soap. Ivory, Lemon Joy, are two brands that are gentle but will kill fleas.

Comment

Have you taken your pup to the vet?

If you havent, I would suggest you do so immediately. There is a pill that can be given that will the fleas within an hour after dosing (the vet will let you know if you can give this to an 8 week old pup).

I would also have the spot on his head (and his tail) looked at to make sure it isnt mange.
      I would also have his fecal tested for worms. If he has fleas, there is a highl likelyhood he also has worms.

Why didnt your breeder make sure this pup was free of parasites before placing? Something so basic, yet not done.............disappointing.
      Carolyn
      Divine Acres Great Danes
      Divine Acres The Legend "Bruce" 5 1/2 months old..5th generation of DA Danes!
      sigpic

Comment

To be honest...it's kinda funny. Vector (the OP) posted a few threads about buying a puppy a few weeks ago. Both of those threads got pages and pages of responses. The first thread about researching breeders told him to be patient.

And yet here he is with a puppy that has fleas and strange spots on his head and tail. Carolyn has suggested that if fleas are present, worms are very likely. Disappointing!

Vector, these are basic questions that you should be asking your breeder, especially since you've only had the puppy for two days. Many buyer contracts state that you must take the puppy to the vet for an exam within 24/48/72 hours of bringing the puppy home (depending on the contract) and if health problems are present, you must take it up with the breeder and possibly return the pup for a refund. Past the stated time, you're on your own but you'd be lucky if your breeder still cares to help you through it even though she is no longer responsible. Too bad.
        Katie & Scarlett
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlett's Mum View Post
          To be honest...it's kinda funny. Vector (the OP) posted a few threads about buying a puppy a few weeks ago. Both of those threads got pages and pages of responses. The first thread about researching breeders told him to be patient.

And yet here he is with a puppy that has fleas and strange spots on his head and tail. Carolyn has suggested that if fleas are present, worms are very likely. Disappointing!

Vector, these are basic questions that you should be asking your breeder, especially since you've only had the puppy for two days. Many buyer contracts state that you must take the puppy to the vet for an exam within 24/48/72 hours of bringing the puppy home (depending on the contract) and if health problems are present, you must take it up with the breeder and possibly return the pup for a refund. Past the stated time, you're on your own but you'd be lucky if your breeder still cares to help you through it even though she is no longer responsible. Too bad.
          You are making it out to sound like I bought from a byb. Granted these problems are disconcerting, but the breeder has health certificates, and shows their dogs. I do have an appointment with my vet, but I wanted to do something about the fleas ASAP before they start getting out of control. They have already given him vaccinations and regular worming. His last was on the 17th.

I've had several people suggest Frontline, but I want to make sure it is safe for GD puppies of 8 weeks.
          It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat. Theodore Roosevelt - April 23, 1910

Comment

Ive never put Frontline on a pup that young, so again, I would suggest contacting your vet and getting the facts from them on what you can or cannot do *safely* to your pup. If you dose your pup with Frontline and he has a bad reaction, and you tell your breeder you followed advice off a public forum................she's likely to not be very happy and void the guarantee.

Because someone shows their dogs or flashes contracts/guarantees at the buyers, this in no way proves respectable............it is only one piece of a very large puzzle. Basic care for hygiene should also rank high in this equation and never be over looked.

I would contact your breeder, let them know what you are dealing with, take your pup to the vet as I suggested and get ALL of this documented.

You dont know if you will need this information in the future.

Good luck!
            Last edited by Carolyn; 12-01-2009, 11:04 AM. Reason: spelling!
            Carolyn
            Divine Acres Great Danes
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Vector View Post
              You are making it out to sound like I bought from a byb. Granted these problems are disconcerting, but the breeder has health certificates, and shows their dogs. I do have an appointment with my vet, but I wanted to do something about the fleas ASAP before they start getting out of control. They have already given him vaccinations and regular worming. His last was on the 17th.

I've had several people suggest Frontline, but I want to make sure it is safe for GD puppies of 8 weeks.
              Hey, no matter how good your breeder claims to be, the bottom line is that she sent you home with a flea-ridden puppy so to me, all that other stuff goes out the window. As Carolyn said, it's all about pieces of the puzzle.

Contact the breeder and see how they can help you and call your vet to let them know you have an appointment but need advice now.
              Katie & Scarlett
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlett's Mum View Post
                Hey, no matter how good your breeder claims to be, the bottom line is that she sent you home with a flea-ridden puppy so to me, all that other stuff goes out the window. As Carolyn said, it's all about pieces of the puzzle.

Contact the breeder and see how they can help you and call your vet to let them know you have an appointment but need advice now.

I agree no breeder worth there salt is going to send a puppy home eaten up with fleas and worms.... Sorry if that upsets you..but it's true.
                sigpicShannon and Floyd.

Comment

Originally posted by Floyd's mom View Post
                  I agree no breeder worth there salt is going to send a puppy home eaten up with fleas and worms.... Sorry if that upsets you..but it's true.
                  Hey it is no skin off my nose nor do I take offense to people suggesting it. All I am saying is that they do not fit a typical byb description based on what I've read here on this forum. At least one poster, maybe two know who they are and have said their reputation is good.

That said, I am surprised at the flea situation as well. As to the spot on the head, I will certainly have the vet evaluate it, and the spot on the tale is very small, almost the size of a pimple.

Now he does have a few spots around his snout that look like acne, and the breeder said it occurred after the vaccinations. Again this is something I did not experience with my last Dane puppy, so I will have the vet give him a complete exam.
                  In the interim, feel free to make observations and suggestions to any of the things I've posted.

Comment

Vector, I have no idea who your breeder is, nor do I want to know. The spot on his head and tail, may be nothing at all, the pimples on his muzzle are probably acne (not a big deal) but a breeder letting the pups go to their new home with fleas, is just unacceptable.

I dont want to make a big deal out of this, as all of these things (except if those spots are the beginning of demo mange) can be fixed with no long term issues!

Your vet can document it all and get him what he needs!

Good luck!

Edit to add: If it is determined to be Demodex Mange.........do NOT let your vet dip your pup..........come here first for suggestions!! Please!
                    Carolyn
                    Divine Acres Great Danes
                    sigpic

Comment

The State of Florida has a law that requires every puppy sold to come with a State Health Certificate, signed by a vet, that the puppy has been seen within the last 30 days and found to be free of internal & external parasites, and it validates the vaccines. It is against the law to sell a puppy without this Health Certificate. Assuming you bought your puppy in Florida, you should have been given this form - and it will be signed by the vet who saw him. I'd call that vet and ask what they thought of the bumps/etc and if they scraped him for demodex at the time of the exam.
                      sigpicSara Dellorto, Sardi Great Danes (VBIS CH Sardi's Too Hot To Handle, aka Jayne)

Comment

I'd call your vet. I know my vet almost always gets me in w/in 24 hours for something like this. I wouldn't worry about trying to treat from home on such a young puppy.

On a side note, I would definitely be talking to the breeder and asking for an explanation. There are a lot of BYB out there even that would be apalled at sending a flea ridden puppy home to someone. If this person is a reputable breeder, then they would care about something basic like puppy hygiene
                        Jennie
                        sigpic

Comment

Vector was the breeder the one we discussed just north of Tampa? If so, I would be shocked she would send a puppy home like that.
                          sigpic
                          Logan, Member GDCA and Past President GDCMF
                          Int'l CH & AM GCH Legacys Killer Instinct, TT, CHIC (Kaos)
                          www.lokenigreatdanes.com

Comment

The product you want is Capstar http://www.capstar.novartis.us/ It will kill all adult fleas in about 30 min to an hour. Then I would consider Revolution http://www.revolution4dogs.com/defau...uct%20Overview it has to be prescribed from a vet but it is labeled for pups as young as 6 weeks. But your vet should be your first stop and use whatever recomendations they have!
                            I know it's a cat. But it is a big one!!
                            sigpic

Comment

I sure the puppy acne isn't a sign of things to come! My AmStaff had puppy acne and now has uncontrollable allergies. Hopefully you will have the breeder support you need. Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                              X