This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why did you buy from a byb

As far as I know, there are good and bad breeders for just about every animal. Snakes are actually a big problem, believe it or not. My brilliant best friend bought a ball python from a breeder boasting 'rare colors' and they've been breeding for '25 years and never had anything but the most beautiful exotic colors.' In all reality, these are the same idiots who breed animals as far away from the standard as they can manage. It's a shame. There's even a website boasting about Python 'morphs'. I guess that's just a more interesting way of saying genetic mutation.

By the way, chinchillas are fun [emoji4] I had one when I was younger and they're a blast once they warm up to you. Cutest thing ever when they take a dust bath [emoji7]

ETA: I'm well aware that ball pythons and dogs are two completely different animals, however, BYB practices are based primarily on the same principle of greed and assery, which is why I bring it up.
    Last edited by KatieRae; 06-13-2015, 08:22 PM.
    -- Katelyn

sigpic
    Apollo

Comment

• Originally posted by oshagcj914 View Post
      I saw a ferret show on TV once - all the ferrets were better looking than my parents' ferret was, but there were a lot of people being bitten by them too. Also, chinchillas are cute but I'm over cleaning out a cage all the time. I assume it's like a hamster but worse because they're bigger. I wanted a hedgehog myself, but hubby said no. I'm also not allowed to have a snake or fainting (or non-fainting) goats. Or alpacas or ostriches. Or any more cats. So basically only dogs, but only two at a time (we'll see about that one ).

I'm not sure if the Uncle Bill's is still there since I haven't been that way in a while, but the puppies there were pretty sorry looking too They also had chocolate skunks for $500. Apparently they're bred in captivity and sort of like having a cat. I told husband we should get one for security - anyone who breaks in and isn't intimidated by the giant slobbery dogs would turn tail for sure if they saw a skunk!
      Foxes would be great for security lol. Sounds like temperament is not an issue for show ferrets. Maybe they need a Ferret Good Citizen test? As for Chinchillas, I don't mind the cage cleaning- I used to have 3 rats. I think hamsters are bigger derps lol.
      sigpic
      Fergus
      SC Dinnie Stone Guardian, CGC
      Eisen Shark
      C Shadows On The Sun, CGC

Comment

• Originally posted by KatieRae View Post
        As far as I know, there are good and bad breeders for just about every animal. Snakes are actually a big problem, believe it or not. My brilliant best friend bought a ball python from a breeder boasting 'rare colors' and they've been breeding for '25 years and never had anything but the most beautiful exotic colors.' In all reality, these are the same idiots who breed animals as far away from the standard as they can manage. It's a shame. There's even a website boasting about Python 'morphs'. I guess that's just a more interesting way of saying genetic mutation.

By the way, chinchillas are fun [emoji4] I had one when I was younger and they're a blast once they warm up to you. Cutest thing ever when they take a dust bath [emoji7]

ETA: I'm well aware that ball pythons and dogs are two completely different animals, however, BYB practices are based primarily on the same principle of greed and assery, which is why I bring it up.
        I'm actually quite familiar with reptile breeding as I used to do it years ago before I had too little time and space for the commitment.

Color morphs are actually the standard for breeding of a variety of reptiles but not all. It's only a true morph when it can be reproduced over many unrelated generations. The oddball color mutation is just an anomaly if it's limited to just one clutch. There are of course less than reputable breeders who try to mislabel common color morphs as something they're not purely out of greed and rope in inexperienced buyers.

Dog standard and coat colors at easy and can be learned in an afternoon. My thing was Leopard Geckos - talk about complicated. The possible colors are endless. Even though you're only breeding for color and not a physical standard, the sheer amount of color mutations out there make my head hurt even today.

Comment

• Originally posted by Thalimar View Post
          I'm actually quite familiar with reptile breeding as I used to do it years ago before I had too little time and space for the commitment.

Color morphs are actually the standard for breeding of a variety of reptiles but not all. It's only a true morph when it can be reproduced over many unrelated generations. The oddball color mutation is just an anomaly if it's limited to just one clutch. There are of course less than reputable breeders who try to mislabel common color morphs as something they're not purely out of greed and rope in inexperienced buyers.

Dog standard and coat colors at easy and can be learned in an afternoon. My thing was Leopard Geckos - talk about complicated. The possible colors are endless. Even though you're only breeding for color and not a physical standard, the sheer amount of color mutations out there make my head hurt even today.

Exactly what I'm talking about; breeders who claim to breed these random colors to make an extra buck.

In reptiles, are you supposed to breed for color only? I would think you'd breed for a physically healthy reptile as well, but I'm not exceedingly familiar with the practice.

I know my friend has had to take quite a few trips to the vet with her Python.. She almost lost her a day after she brought her home. Vet said she had some really bad parasites when she left the breeder [emoji58]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          -- Katelyn

sigpic
          Apollo

Comment

Exactly what I'm talking about; breeders who claim to breed these random colors to make an extra buck.

In reptiles, are you supposed to breed for color only? I would think you'd breed for a physically healthy reptile as well, but I'm not exceedingly familiar with the practice.

I know my friend has had to take quite a few trips to the vet with her Python.. She almost lost her a day after she brought her home. Vet said she had some really bad parasites when she left the breeder [emoji58]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            It's more about color vs dogs when it comes to breeding but there are some basic standards that the good breeders follow. They don't and can't really go as far as dogs though. Healthy, parasite free animals only of a certain age (no breeding too old or too young of animals) and no chain breeding. It takes a lot out of them to produce a clutch of eggs and some are quite risky and very difficult to do in captivity. Chameleons for example are known to become egg bound frequently even without breeding and require an appropriate area to lay these eggs.

The biggest thing was captive bred and raised only whenever possible - no importing of wild caught animals. Many are so abundant and easily bred that importing is treated the same as BYB are treated here.

Since they aren't domesticated you can't really breed for something like temperament since many species are just aggressive no matter what you do and some take to humans and captivity very well and are almost like dogs with their friendliness.

There also isn't any cross breeding history like dogs so there isn't much variation in "conformation" outside the typical size, housing requirements etc and genetic illnesses are few and far between. I've been out of the circle for some time but I doubt much has changed beyond newly discovered morphs. There wasn't any sort of genetic health testing, vaccines etc back then.

I still have several of my display cages and would love to have a few as pets again if I can convince my wife. I always wanted an emerald tree boa (beautiful and unique animals) but they are quite a bit more involved care wise and aren't super people friendly. They're more of a look, don't touch species.

Ahh - this talk brings back memories.

Comment

Morphs is what fuels the market for most reptiles, there's some that have issues, kinks, deformed, sterile but most are pretty known at this point and not highly bred or sought after. As far as temperament or quality, yes there are breeders who look for top notch but more who seek out the cheapest example they can get and breed. Just like any animal, do your research and buy from an ethical breeder. Most of my snakes are from good breeders and have never had an issue. I'm not a breeder or after morphs, most of mine are normals also.

Comment

• Getting back on topic: Why did I buy from a back yard breeder? My first Dane was purchased from what I would call a casual breeder. She only bred once, and searched for a quality stud. The Harlequin/Black pedigree was impressive on both sides, but neither parent was shown or health tested. Being a first time prospective Dane owner, I wasn't aware that the 3 year old merle female should not have been bred. The lady had good intentions ... socialized the litter with her children and busy household. The litter had supervised outdoor time in a clean setting and I was permitted to visit at any time during the 8 weeks. She offered $75.00 toward my pup's spay, when done, and honored that when I did. She had her female spayed before having a second litter and later purchased a possible show potential stud who we both took to local handling classes because the lady was very pregnant at the time and couldn't run the ring with him ... so I did. I don't know what others would consider this type of situation to be; but I wouldn't label it as a "BYB".
                sigpicCelle: 7/1/14, my current problem child
                Chance: 9/3/05, the stray kitten that Jena brought home
                Jena: 6/2/99 - 10/6/09 R.l.P. my heart dog (merle GD)

Comment

• Originally posted by hdpartsman0032 View Post
                  Getting back on topic: Why did I buy from a back yard breeder? My first Dane was purchased from what I would call a casual breeder. She only bred once, and searched for a quality stud. The Harlequin/Black pedigree was impressive on both sides, but neither parent was shown or health tested. Being a first time prospective Dane owner, I wasn't aware that the 3 year old merle female should not have been bred. The lady had good intentions ... socialized the litter with her children and busy household. The litter had supervised outdoor time in a clean setting and I was permitted to visit at any time during the 8 weeks. She offered $75.00 toward my pup's spay, when done, and honored that when I did. She had her female spayed before having a second litter and later purchased a possible show potential stud who we both took to local handling classes because the lady was very pregnant at the time and couldn't run the ring with him ... so I did. I don't know what others would consider this type of situation to be; but I wouldn't label it as a "BYB".
                  This is a byb. A better caliber than many to be sure, but still a byb. No health testing, parents not shown, breeding a Merle bitch without a thorough knowledge and plenty of experience with harl breeding - all this says BYB to me.
                  sigpic
                  Chaucey
                  Asaah ~ xxx Asaah LaLa, CGC, registered therapy dog

Comment

• I suppose so ... that was 16 years ago. I had a computer, but not internet service to do any research. I remember checking out every Dane book in the library though, but that was after I'd chosen my girl and had money put down. She's moved away since but I often wonder if she ever followed through with showing her stud ...
                    sigpicCelle: 7/1/14, my current problem child
                    Chance: 9/3/05, the stray kitten that Jena brought home
                    Jena: 6/2/99 - 10/6/09 R.l.P. my heart dog (merle GD)

Comment

• Originally posted by hdpartsman0032 View Post
                      I suppose so ... that was 16 years ago. I had a computer, but not internet service to do any research. I remember checking out every Dane book in the library though, but that was after I'd chosen my girl and had money put down. She's moved away since but I often wonder if she ever followed through with showing her stud ...
                      The internet definitely makes a puppy search easier...although I imagine it also causes some problems since it's easy for a not so great breeder to make a nice website and even to steal or fake information to take advantage of inexperienced buyers. It takes a lot of digging to find a good breeder.
                      sigpic
                      Chaucey
                      Asaah ~ xxx Asaah LaLa, CGC, registered therapy dog

Comment

• I bought my Lab back in 2004 from a newspaper ad, old school style. I don't know exactly what background he came from because the home where we picked him up had the litter, but mom was back in Wisconsin. They were 10 weeks old and the family had their 18 month old sister from another litter. They claimed their parents bred them up north. He came with AKC papers. I was not able to track down the breeder even once the internet began to make things easier.

I didn't know any better, and wanted immediate gratification. My Lab is now going on 13 and healthy as hell, thankfully.

My Maltese mix in 2008 was a second hand acquisition, but I still would've probably gotten her from the byb (not large scale) because she was adorable, I didn't know much better, and my boss was getting her sister.

Now for a purebred, especially large breeds, I know better than to settle. And I wouldn't support byb even with a mix unless it was a rescue/give away type situation.
                        Hauss 03.22.17 Blue Great Dane (f)
                        Buckets 05.31.16 Tortoiseshell Kitty (f)
                        Rowena 10.06.16 Black Kitty (f)
                        PJ 01.30.10 Human Child (f)
                        Vegas 05.10.04 - 04.27.18 Black Lab (m)

Comment

Working...
                        X