Purchasing a GD

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Purchasing a GD

I just put a deposit down on a GD puppy. I was reading other posts and now I am nervous. I want to make sure this is a reputable breeder. I was looking on the internet for breeders and found her. Sometimes I overanalyze things but I just want to make sure this is right if we are spending all this money. The puppy comes with Full AKC registration and 2 year genetic health guarantee and also free microchipping, vaccinated and wormed.

*** Please do not post breeders names on the boards. Please do not request breeders name on the board. If you wish this information, contact the OP

RE: Purchasing a GD

You can actually look at that site and think they are reputable??
    Oh my!
    Good Luck,
    Carolyn
    Divine Acres Great Danes
    Carolyn
    Divine Acres Great Danes
    Divine Acres The Legend "Bruce" 5 1/2 months old..5th generation of DA Danes!
    sigpic

Comment

Well thats why I am asking on here.

Comment

RUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That was AWFUL!!!!!!!

Michele
        Daphne~8 year old rescue girl
        Central Florida Great Dane Rescue
        Roscoe~3 year old rescue boy
        Middle Tennessee Great Dane Rescue
        sigpic
        www.rescuemetugz.com

Michele, Roscoe, Ava, Romeo, (RIP Daphne)
        http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p=732e92418610139ae96918&skin_id=701&utm_so urce=otm&utm_medium=text_url
        Be part of the solution by not being part of the problem. NO BYB's!!

Comment

Ok now I am really nervous, I only gave a 250.00 deposit so far. What should I do and how do I find a reputable breeder. Please help me. This is my first GD I currently have a choc lab she is not registered or anything but I got really lucky with her she is a great dog. I just dont want to buy some puppy mill dog.

Comment

» B - How do I research the breeder?
            Researching a breeder may seem like an arduous task, however, the legwork you do before you buy may certainly save you $$ and heartache down the road. Impulse buying a puppy can lead to devasting consequences.

A good place to start your research would be to contact the local Great Dane Club if there is one. Always get references to previous buyers and phone them. Ask for a veterinary reference and contact him/her. See the sire and dam and ask about any heath testing that has been done. Ask to see the pedigree and scrutiize it carefully. If you don't know how to do this, ask someone. There's many other sources that can be checked, so please to a complete breeder check.

Buying a Great Dane is a large financial and emotional investment!

Below are some links that should interest you:

Great Dane Club of America

Great Dane Club of Canada

The ABC's of buying a purebred puppy

Recognizing an Unethical Breeder

Questions A Breeder Should Ask You

Questions to ask your breeder

10 Rules of Ethical Breeders

Novices Interviewing Breeders

I don't know if this will work, but I'll try. If not, someone else will chime in and help soon

Michele
            sigpic
            www.rescuemetugz.com

http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p=732e92418610139ae96918&skin_id=701&utm_so urce=otm&utm_medium=text_url

Comment

Please for the love of god, cut your losses and run. Whelping houses..AKA SHEDS, I count over 20 dogs and none of which are good representations of the breed. Breeding Odd ball colors and proud of it! So and so will produce Blockey headed puppies?? This is the selling point? LOL The dog looks like a Lab and doesn't even have a mask.
              Maybe I don't have pea gravel knowledge??... I know it makes a good run, but come on.... WARM IN THE WINTER? And SOFT? Good gawd! IT's GRAVEL... hellooo!! And nice that they offer Full AKC registration so that everyone who wants to become a puppy mill like that can do so with endorsements.
              You need to keep shopping for your puppy and steer clear of places like this. These are NOT Great Danes. They are over sized mutts registered as Great Danes. AKC does NOT = quality. AKC is a registry and has no clue if the dogs are good representatives of the breed nor do they give a ratts a$$.
              People like this use the AKC as a selling tactic.. boasting AKC registered is ridiculous. You won't find any reputable breeders boasting on their site that the dogs are AKC registered. It's a given that they are. These people are hoping that it means something to you and hundreds of other people and it impresses a lot of people but doesn't mean squat when you are looking at dogs that don't look like Great Danes.
              These whelping 'houses/sheds look like they are in the middle of no where. Which is probably why there is a need for cameras. Geeeezaz!
              YUCK YUCK YUCK!!!!!!!

Vaccines, justly credited as the tamers of disease epidemics, are nevertheless the leading killers of dogs and cats in America today."
              Martin Goldstein, D.V.M
              "The best vaccine for disease prevention is proper diet"

http://www.eastwooddanes.com/NovB.jpg

Comment

To be honest there really isn't much about them as breeders that would suggest responsable. They are breeding colors taht shouldn't be, they are using mismarks in their breeding program, they are selling pups on full registration as opposed to spay/neuter agreements and limited registration, they only offer a 2 year health guarantee which doesn't mean a lot since most things wouldn't show up until the age of 2 or after, they apparently don't either show or have theri dogs evaluated by at least 3 unbiased, knowledgable peopel to see if theri dogs meet breed standard (this is obvious since in the pictures many hardly look "danish"). I would not be at all comfortable buying from them.

Dale
                sigpic
                Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
                Associate Member GDCNE
                Member GSPCA
                Member NAVHDA
                Member Central Maine Kennel Club
                High Hopes Great Danes & German Shorthairs

Comment

ok ty for your help. I really do appreciate this. Now the breeders that are listed on this website would you say they are all ok to deal with or not?

Comment

http://www.xceldanes.com/Christmas_07.JPG

Sorry, but the internet is a place to learn about the breed..but NOT the place to buy a dog.

Is the money you sent refundable? Even if it isn't and I didn't see the breeder site {but I'll take Carolyn's word it's bad} cut your losses and RUN while you're still ahead. Before you fall in love with a cute puppy picture and feel sorry for the poor thing..and land yourself in a world of poo.

Stick around here and learn what a good breeder is. Please. :P

Dee
                    sigpic

Comment

No, you have to do research on how to find a breeder and then go from there. There are over 500 listed here and not all created alike. Take your time.

Vaccines, justly credited as the tamers of disease epidemics, are nevertheless the leading killers of dogs and cats in America today."
                      Martin Goldstein, D.V.M
                      "The best vaccine for disease prevention is proper diet"

http://www.eastwooddanes.com/Bizy.jpg

Comment

It is a large task to research a breeder, and there are lots of questions to be answered. I did not see the site, but there are a number of reputable people who commented to you, who if they saw the site, are giving you sound advice. I am happy to admit, my first 2 danes are from a BYB. But, I would never make such a stupid mistake again. I just didn't know any better, and we all make mistakes. I wouldn't of gotten Jack, the second one, but after 18 months, he and his sister were being given up. He had no where to go, and I was not going to allow Morgan's sibling to go into rescue. Morgan has been phenomenal, suprisingly from a health standpoint, but Jack, is a whole different world. Skin problems, allergies, chronic ear infections, most likely we recently figured out a gluten allergy, and the list goes on and on...

It took me 2 years of researching breeders to come to the decision of what breeder I went to for my most recent show prospect. Everyone that sees Zoie, continues to compliment on how at 17 weeks, this Thursday, that she has such a wonderful temperment, and a number of other qualities. I can just go on and on about her. It is not a decision to rush into by any means, take your time, and your instinct told you that it was questionnable. Ask lots of questions...

Comment

>ok ty for your help. I really do appreciate this. Now the
                          >breeders that are listed on this website would you say they
                          >are all ok to deal with or not?

http://www.xceldanes.com/Christmas_07.JPG

Take your time..what's the big hurry?? Please don't tell me because of Christamas coming up.

Dee
                          sigpic

Comment

Can anyone send me the link to that breeder? I always seem to miss out on things before they are pulled. Now I am curious!! Thanks!
                            Martha

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n...panpicture.jpg
                            My sweet girl Jade
                            sigpic

Comment

No, just because they are on here doesn't mean a thing! There's one from Fl that ALWAYS has an ad for pups! She is a BYB. Absolutely NO health testing...says she doesn't need to because they're imported and they don't have the problems we have here in the states!! ROTFLMAO!!!

Michele
                              sigpic
                              www.rescuemetugz.com

Comment

Working...
                              X