Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

why won't they....puppies puppies...my great dog's litter...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• why won't they....puppies puppies...my great dog's litter...

Browsing today I was reminded of how lucky we are to have
    danes in our lives, and frankly, how lucky most of our danes
    are.

On the boards we see many many posts looking for that special
    companion dane, as well as many posts arguing why they
    are the exception to so many "rules" that rescue groups and
    breeders have.

Likewise we see posts explaining why it was someone's
    right to breed their dog, and why it "didn't do any harm" to
    breed their pet dogs, or they umpteenth litter...

We read how people want shiny new homes, and infants
    and a special ((imaginary!!)) dane that will be the ~perfect~
    (no less will do) addition to their new family.

Today I met the following dogs online

http://www.mid-atlanticdanerescue.co...labledogs.html

I would say the majority are the victims of many people
    "not doing any harm", either when they were bred, when
    they were placed, or when they got tired or annoyed at their
    loving pets.

These are real dogs and deserve the protection wonderful
    rescue groups give them by setting completely UNarbitrary
    rules as to their future homes.

Certainly this regional site is a drop in the bucket of the unwanted
    pet problem, but to see 13 pages of dogs thrown away - puppy age
    to veteran, healthy and ill, tortured and loved (?) is something I
    hope everyone would recall when deciding to breed more dogs,
    when deciding IF they need a dog, and when selecting their next
    pet.

The site also gives a link to the parent club's approved rescues for
    other regions http://www.gdca.org and gives a very good explanation
    of their policies and in what light they give exceptions.

It is just so unfortunate that those wanting a wonderful great dane
    companion do not understand, especially when starting out, how
    much a dog beyond baby puppy age has to offer - as well as how
    much easier they can be to train and live with!

Sandy

http://homepage.mac.com/witzn/
    http://web.mac.com/Witzn

RE: why won't they....puppies puppies...my great dog's litte

Paul,

How about every new person on DOL is required to read Sandy's post?
    The average pet owner, dane owner really, (I said average, not most on DOL)has no clue about the number of unwanted danes. I know I didn't. It is only through wanting to become educated that I learned about great dane rescue.

Thanks Sandy, Hopefully some folks will become enlightened by your post. It is pretty clear!

Our rescue boy Duke is a fantastic Dane!

Comment

Right on Sandy!

We love our rescues- Tank (got him as an abandoned puppy of an abandoned Harle mother) and Sophie (our abused 4 year old black beauty).

Aimie

Comment

Funny you should post this today, as just yesterday I was looking at the MAGDRL site. You see, now that summer vacation is coming, I'm considering taking in a rescue. I think it would have to be a male since my other dogs are both females. There are SO many great dogs 'out there' waiting for a new start!

Comment

Unfortunately, the majority of the people here aren't the cause of the pet problem. This is a great reminder that Sandy has posted. I think a routine perusal of PetFinder is a good thing too. Read the posts, and see the sad faces of those older dogs whose owners turned them in because of whatever reason. It's why my vessels pop every time someone asks me "why did you spay her - she's so beautiful!!".
          My best boy, Trooper.
          sigpic

Comment

I can only speak from my recent Pug experience, but I can tell you - in 30 years I've never seen a sweeter dog than our newest addition. It will be very difficult in the future for me to justify why I need to have a puppy when an older dog can be so wonderful.
            My best boy, Trooper.
            sigpic

Comment

Thank you, Sandy, for posting this. I don't think most people look at shelters and rescues when looking to add a friend to their home. Most of the time, people open the newspaper to see if the breed they are searching for is for sale.

This past weekend, I worked an adopt-a-thon put on by the Humane Society and Animal Rescue League. I convinced a good friend to help out, and when I met up with her after they had loaded dogs from the shelter to bring to town, she was nearly in tears. She had NO idea that so many animals were in need. I know it tears me up any time I go to visit the shelters! Fortunately, 20 dogs and cats found new homes thanks to the dedication of those involved with these organizations. (Many, many thanks from me to all of you who dedicate your lives to helping those in need.)

I have a brother with a beautiful, sweet Rottie girl, who he plans on breeding next season. I have done and said ALL I can possibly think of to get him to change his mind and spay her. Nothing doing..... I've even begged him to go by Animal Control and count the number of animals there waiting for homes or euthanasia. He just doesn't see what I'm saying. And my nephew has a JR pup that he will be breeding soon to a JR mix. I'm so embarrassed, and I'm causing some hard feelings in the family. So sorry........

So now that I've rambled on and embarrassed myself totally by posting this, I'll close with:

I'm so thankful for my two blues from rescue, and for our cat. They are incredible kiddos, and EXACTLY the perfect critters for our home. ;-)

Dawn

Comment

It's funny that you mention summer vacation. That's one of the big reasons we have so many dogs right now. People thing, well, I really don't want the dog anyway so why would I pay to have someone take care of it while I'm on vacation? We always have more dogs this time of year, but MAGDRL has never had this many at one time. It has been really sad lately.

Christina Kallay
                MAGDRL volunteer & webmaster

Comment

I know the problem with postings like this is it is generally
                  preaching to the choir. I only hoped that newcomers researching
                  the breed will both consider adopting from rescue as well
                  as think hard if they really REALLY want a dane - for always or
                  15 years, whichever comes last - when they have to move,
                  when they have the new baby, when they get new carpets...

Such a range of ages and so many dogs with nothing at
                  all wrong with them, beautiful dogs that did not deserve to
                  be thrown away, or dogs that had some trouble and still
                  deserved a little more loyalty than their humans could muster.

One that particularly struck me, and there several like it,
                  were young healthy dogs that people turned in because
                  their children left and they didn't want them. I might understand
                  a dane being too much for an older person, but ? Even if
                  you can make an excuse why the parent got rid of the
                  family pet, what does it say about the children that "grew up"?

Apparently they did not develop a very good conscience or
                  sense of responsibility....

Sandy

http://homepage.mac.com/witzn/
                  http://web.mac.com/Witzn

Comment

Ok, I am definitely going to consider rescue for my next Dane. The more I read of all the wonderful experiences on adopting an older dog, the more the little voice inside me says that this may be the way to go. (Also all the posts on puppy problems brings back many, many memories! ;-)) There is a rescue about 30 miles from where I live, so I think I will establish a relationship with them, maybe donating my time for events, donating needed supplies and/or money, at least I can get to know them, and also let them get to know me and my family, eventhough I'm not quite ready to adopt at this time. I think I'll give them a call this weekend and see what happens. Thanks for the many eye-openers you have given me about rescue Danes.
                    Karen, Chance, Lucy and Savanah RB

sigpic

Comment

Good idea Kristen. I have anchored Sandy's post so it will always stay at the top of this Conference.

Comment

"The more I read of all the wonderful experiences on adopting an older dog, the more the little voice inside me says that this may be the way to go."

Speaking through experiance, we have adopted/rescued 4 Danes over the years and all have been super dogs. The latest, thanks to Mihi, is one of the best. A true lady and a good looker to boot. Will post new pics in the morning of our Lizzy

Comment

Great post, Sandy

Comment

Ditto! :7

Ami, Tuesday, Lily and Nelson

Comment

Great post Sandy!!!
                              We've had our rescue, Morgan, for 2 1/2 months
                              He is our first Dane and the best pet I've ever owned

Sue and Morgan
                              www.picturetrail.com/cpt_morgan01

Comment

Working...
                              X