This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• THREE STEPS TO FINDING A GOOD PET DANE

This a little handout it seemed timely to share here?

THREE STEPS TO FINDING A GOOD PET DANE:
    Ask yourself just what you do to find a mechanic, a dentist, a pro in any field you yourself are not an expert in. Do U try to outsmart them or know more than they know about their own job? No! Do you pick the closest, the most convenient, the first one to come along? No! Do you take their word for everything, go with the biggest, braggiest ad? No! Think what you do & do the same with breeders:

#1. CHECK THEIR CREDENTIALS & CLAIMS FIRST~!
    If they do not belong to dog clubs (AKC itself doesn't count) &
    they do not show their dogs successfully (that is get titles) and
    do not do health checks (check OFA database online, etc.), then why even even go to see them? Would you go to see a 'doctor' who didn't graduate from med school? (no) Hire a contractor not licensed and bonded? (no) Give the good breeder (& the breed) a break--<G>--give them your business! Help put the bad guys out of biZness by knowing what you are doing. Call a few folks who are breeders & ask if you can come see their dogs while the pressure is off. That is don't ask to buy, don't even ask if they have pups (& don't bring your checkbook<G>). Just ask to come see their dogs, talk to them about the breed, that you want to--eventually--get (another) Dane. This will get your foot in the door with the good sort of breeder. And the "puppy pushers" won't bother with you. So you'll save yourself time & trouble.

#2. ASK FOR REFERENCES/ASK AROUND ABOUT THEM.
    Will people who do not buy from them or who they do not employ vouch for them? (In other words, NOT their puppy buyers or just their vet, but their peers.) Do people even know them? (It's a small world & we all know of each other.) Do you know others who have purebred dogs (of any breed) that can give you some leads? Go to shows and check the people out in public. (Good Dane breeders take the time and money to exhibit to their peers what they are breeding. So they show.) Know that "Silence is NOT Golden" in dogs, esp. in Danes. If folks in Danes you ask have nothing to say, that breeder likely has nothing suitable for you to look at. (And all puppies are cute, so best not to look at them as your heart can take over your head--and you need to buy a dog with your brains & do the loving *after*!)

#3. USE YOUR GOOD JUDGEMENT. Don't be snowed by a downpour of technical terms, unfamiliar phrases, or brags, boasts and other attempts to get you attached to the dogs someone has so you will buy from them. Don't let someone pressure you (with claims like "others are looking & loving this pup!") or make you feel intimidated ("these pups are like no other, they have"--whatever). There are LOTS of great salesmen out there who are lousy breeders. They depend on slick talk & your not being prepared to sell you what they don't want &/or made to make money off of. (And the fact is that adorable puppies make us all lose brainpower<G>!) But use your head! If a warning bell goes off in your head, listen to it. NEVER take your checkbook with you on the first visit, ALWAYS see the parents & the paperwork first (before puppies), and ALWAYS go home and sleep on it (no impulse buys).

Buying a dog is no different really than any other major purchase that involves the decision to hire a professional so the same good sense rules apply. You don't try to outsmart them, you don't try to know more than they do about what they do, you try to figure out who's good, bad or indifferent & who suits your family. Well that's just like dog buying--it's different only in that it's the only love in the world you can actually purchase. That and it should have the feel more of adopting a child than purchasing a car. But the same cautions as to a common sense approach should apply. Think about how you hired a pediatrian for your children. Or a roofer. Or anything costly & valuable to your general health/lifestyle. You know how to buy things, how to hire folks, you do it all the time. Use the same skills here as you use there?

And always remember:
    GOOD BREEDERS TAKE YOUR TIME,
    BAD BREEDERS JUST TAKE YOUR MONEY.
    Hope this helps. Good luck!
    regards, jp&

RE: THREE STEPS TO FINDING A GOOD PET DANE

Thanks jpy! I think that the most valuable point of your post is that pets should come from the same quality as show pups. Being a recent VERY ignorant potential-pup-buyer, and now being a little bit less ignorant potential-pup-buyer, the most important thing I've learned is that the most important thing in ANY pup is its health. When I first got into my info search, I learned that there was a difference in pet and show. I was going to get a pet, and was at first planning on showing, until I realized that I didn't yet have the knowledge and dedication needed to do so. To confess exactly how far my ignorance extended, it was a surprise to learn all involved in showing, that it wasn't simply walking your dog around a ring.

I am putting just as much work and effort in my pup search for a perfect pet as I would if I knew that I was going to show. I am looking for the same qualities I would look for in a show prospect. The only quality I am not concerned about is mismarks. The health, temperment, and conformation must be the same for my future pet pup as in a show prospect. I want a companion who is part of my family, and while my heart aches for the pups who are less healthy, I know that I wouldn't set out to have a baby and do purposly unhealthy things during my pregnancy. My future pup will be just like a child for me. I consider this time just as a pregnancy and/or planning for one.

As for pups that are already born and in dire circumstances because of BYBs, I am one of the diehards who is slowly coming around to the sense of not supporting future pups from the same situation by supporting the breeder. I do truly feel for these puppies, but I also see everyone's points in supporting BYBs. It is hard for me to pass up the pups, but I also know in my heart that I am doing the right thing. I hope to someday help these pups by getting into rescue, either rescuing one (or a few!) myself, or maybe starting a rescue later in the future. And who knows, I might just meet my perfect match in a rescue for my first Dane.

I hope this message makes sense. It's one of those nights that I need sleep but I just can't. Anyway, bravo to jpy and others on this site who are getting the necessary info out there. You are making a difference, I am one of the many examples out there who have realized that it's a lot different than having the pick of any litter.

Comment

"Anyway, bravo to jpy and others on this site who are getting the necessary info out there. You are making a difference, I am one of the many examples out there who have realized that it's a lot different than having the pick of any litter."

You just made a bunch of folks day from paul onward I bet. That's the best music<G>to many ears "making a difference" and the best use of sleeplessness I know of lately! ROFL! tks!

And you are SO RIGHT~! The best pet is the son of that well made CHampion, littermate to that dual-titled girl, offspring of healthy certified stock. It's "all in the family" when it comes to quality. And buyer, breeder and pup should all be in this family for sure. If we could match them up (educate or dissuade the rest), think just how rosy the future of dogs would be? One buyer at a time....it's always done one person at a time...and we all help each other along..hopefully down the right road to a brighter future!

Comment

Fooled me

Hey jp, you’re really coming out of your shell <G><G><G>…you used a “smiley” face. And all this time I thought you would remain a withdrawn and bashful Texas gal. Silly me

Comment

Excellent post JP! How true that common sense should prevail in shopping for a pup just as you would an electrician or something else equally important. All too often our hearts take over when we see those darling puppy faces and we forget about good judgement. All prospective puppy buyers take heed and do your homework. Get know the breed and the good breeders. Above all else, TAKE YOUR TIME! You will eventually find the perfect pup for you.

Cindie

Comment

RE: Fooled me

ROFLMAO Paul, my eyebrows have been lifting too.

Comment

RE: Fooled me

Ha-ha U2. I've tried forever to disable that danged icon thang, but I'm too 'puter-E-unliterate to do it. These things take me by surprise U kno'--I get weird faces in there I have to edit when I'm trying to write out percentages and such. But, okay, I will admit that one smiley face was on purpose. I even looked at the choices, but then<G>couldn't figure out how to move them, so used the old standby. Yeah<G>I'm a dork at this stuff.

Comment

Cindie writes: "TAKE YOUR TIME!"

Three VITAL words. A lot comes out in the wash if you wait for it.

Comment

JP - would you mind if we passed that along in its entirety and credits (would it be correct to assume you are the author Will check back tomorrow to be sure
                  Mrs Emery
                  Mrs Emery
                  AKC Canine Ambassador
                  Member GDCA - resource/referral
                  GOPDC - Public Education Coordinator

Comment

NO problem. Just correct my grammar and spelling mistakes first! LOL!

Comment

I just wanted to tell you I loved your posting. When I was looking for a Dane a few years ago it took me over a year but I finally got my Daisy from a great breeder. Unfortunately this was only after answering ads in the paper and on the internet that led to wild goose chases in the middle of nowhere and the worst puppy mill I've ever seen.

I finally got smart and followed some good advice. I went to the Great Dane Club website for my area and started asking questions there. I was then invited to some of their meetings. After sitting through a couple of meetings and talking with members I "passed inspection" and was given some leads to breeders. After long searches and many phone calls to find someone with a litter at the time when I needed my puppy I finally found her.

The breeder asked me so many questions about me and my family, our schedules, our house, etc., etc., that a house guest from Spain thought I was asking to buy her first born child! She brought the puppy with her to the town where she was showing one of her dogs and I met her to pick her up. It was a long search, and a long transport for the puppy and us, but it was worth it to get a puppy that we knew was bred well and would be healthy and a good pet.

I've never been sorry that I passed up the puppies at the puppy mills. I wish I could have taken them all away from those places and given them a good home, but the Dane I now have is happy, healthy and has a good reliable temperment. It was well worth the wait. (Our search from the start of "browsing" to actually taking her home was about 2 years!)

Comment

Bumping this up for new members
                        sigpic
                        In Memory of Sky, EZ and Honor

Visit Poke's Facebook Page

Member of the GDC of MD.
                        Well behaved danes are not born. They are “made” by responsible and caring dane owners.

Comment

A well deserved, and well timed bump. Essential wisdom from a special person.

Andi

Comment

Working...
                          X