This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

She fessed up

Well I called her (“Keets”) on this and she sheep(dog)ishly admitted that she knew what you meant at the onset. Silly me! I should know by now that I need to question the demands put on me by the women in my life. Guess I was born a follower… ;-)

Comment

Back@ "how to buy a puppy"

RE: She fessed up
      i suspect you were born naughty! ROFL!
      RE: HOW TO BUY A PUPPY
      to get back on topic, it is my fervent hope THIS thread gets enuf imput on how to buy a pup to have a little flame by it. when was the last time a purely educational thread was that hot? so please, a few more folks write in their advice........?
      would be nice to think we care enuf about this issue to talk about it at least THAT long......regards.

Comment

RE: Back@ "how to buy a puppy"

Since my computer skills are even worse than my puppy buying skills (LOL) my post for this topic, my puppy buying adventure, is on it's own thread. I just want to add that I decided to take some advice from this thread and start talking to some people that are involved in the breed and in my local breed club. It was very enlightening and quite enjoyable. I never realized how little I actually did know about certain aspects of the breed. It just so happens that one of the all breed clubs I am looking at tomorrow, has a current president who is very active with danes.(My local dane club is not really active and the next closest one is very far away)It was interesting to get his spin on different trends in the dane community, and to my delight he didn't mind me speaking to him for over an hour and asking all the questions that I wanted to ask of him. It was alot easier than I had expected. The first time around I had run into a few brick walls, got very frustrated and settled (that's really not the best word, because my Sky was a wonderful companion and except for the grief I feel, I couldn't have imagined her not being a part of my life). If nothing else, by educating myself and introducing myself into the local dane community, I will be assured of a better outcome my next time around.

Comment

RE: How 2 Buy a Puppy...a personal opinion.

Well I can tell you that I have only one experience with buying a pup and only one expereince with getting burned by a "breeder". Both are in the same story. Here's my take on that one.
          1) Never, ever buy a puppy on a whim.
          2) There may be a couple good ones, but don't buy
          from a newspaper advertisement.
          3) If at all possible and you aren't in the market for a show
          dog,get a rescue. Either from a shelter or from someone you know isn't taking care of the dog properly. Even if you have to pay a pretty penny for the one you see is being neglected or
          abused, do it. They are worth it.
          4) When buying from a breeder, MAKE SURE YOU KNOW THEM!!! Don't
          just accept the word of a friend of a friend. Go see the
          parents. Go to the breeders house often to watch how the pup
          interacts with everyone and everything around it.
          5) Make sure you do not feel like you are being pushed into
          anything. They should ask LOTS more questions than you do
          cause it's like you are adopting one of their human children
          to a "good" breeder. They should care that much.
          6) Get contracts that are legal and binding! Don't accept
          anything less than if you were really adopting a child. LEGAL!
          7) Make sure there was health testing done. Never go by what you
          can or can not see. I think LizK said once that one of her
          show dogs had HOD and the judge at a show was trying to
          convince her to breed.
          8) Don't just pick the cutest or the sex you want. If the puppy
          is trying to hide from you, you don't want it. That could
          indicate temperament problems, or the puppy is just letting
          you know that it doesn't want YOU.

Okay I ran out of steam. I guess I had a brain-fart cause I can't remember any of my other thoughts on the subject right now. Oh well, maybe I'll remember later. LoL.
          Heather, Foster and Emma

Comment

My wife and I tried rescuing a white Dane from a local kennel. She was a fear biter, which we did not know, and unfortunately ended up attacking my wife. Our vet and trainer thought the best thing to do was put her down and it crushed us. She was only with us for three months, but it left a huge void. We decided we would take our time and find a good breeder and go the puppy route. Didn't happen! When a breeder relatively close to us let us know she had an available litter, we were the first to choose our girl Abby. It was only weeks after putting Cleo down and we knew we were probably moving a bit fast, but after speaking with the breeder several times and vising her environment, we felt very comfortable with going ahead with it. Being our first Dane pup, we engrossed ourselves with learning everything we possibly could about the breed we have not already learned. We drove our breeder crazy with questions and read everything we possibly could on the subject. That is when we found this board, and it became our best source. Looking back it would seem we worked backwards, but we have been lucky. She is definitely our favorite thing in the world, and we are so fortunate to have her in our lives. In the end, I guess we could have had another bad situation. I think it is very important that you establish a good solid relationship with the breeder you select before your purchase. You should feel comfortable with asking them anything at anytime, and if you don't it's probably not the right person for you. Now we are looking for a brother for Abby, and are on the waiting list of one of the finest breeders in the country. Having her has afforded us the time to be very selective and we have definitely learned from our mistakes. Thanks for providing such an informative web site Paul!

Comment

Wow. I am humbled by the candidness and the knowledge here.

After 3-4 months of research on the Dane, I set out in search of a pup. The emotional part of my quest was in the "color department". I had my heart set on a blue :-) I spent countless hours reading, looking at pictures, making phone calls, writing and answering emails. My quest took me to NY and back (I live in the NW)! I was impressed by the pains these people, Dane people, across the U.S. took to interview me. Even though at times I was extremely frustrated. I was looking for a pet, but that didn't mean I didn't want quality! I was extremely concerned about health, because I'd read so many scary things; bloat, HOD, etc.

Ultimately, nobody had a pup to sell me, and waiting lists were LONG. There were a few breeders that kept popping up as far as referrals went (both on various "breeder referral" lists on Dane sites, and "word of mouth", as well as other breeders). So, I put my name on a couple lists. I didn't have to wait long! About 3 months later, I got a call saying that a blue male "pet quality" pup was available (what I had asked for), but the breeder would like to meet me in person. It was not a guarantee, but I packed up the family and drove 1500 miles. My family and I didn't "click" with the pup. Sad, but true. He was not at all interested in us, was not the "warm fuzzy" feeling you get with a dog you instantly love. The one we fell in love with :-), had been slated to go to a show home only. The breeder was adamant on that point. I spent the next 24 hours picking her brain about what "show-home" meant and entailed...she took me to a match. We connected. She took a chance on me (we had built a repore over the prior 3 months). I am a co-owner, one of those instances where it is working well. My breeder is my mentor. We are in contact via email numerous times per week. I am hooked!!! :-) Through perserverance and a LOT of disappointment/frustration, we put our first points on him at 11 months. He's now 13 months and it's time for "grandma" to see him again. We're meeting 1/2 way (in CA) for a show. She's bringing a family friend, who happens to be a handler, to show him. They are going to evaluate and train ME in the match that follows.

It's a long story, but my point is, although I didn't follow JP's recipe (one that I think holds merit), I got extremely lucky. Not just with the dog, but with the breeder. The dog far exceeds my expectations as a pet! He is wonderful...and that doesn't begin to cover it. The showing has added so much to my relationship with him :-) There is so much pride and a deeper bonding than I've ever had with ANY other dog I've been owned by!

My breeder has been an absolute saint...she has given so much time to me, never acted as if my questions were mundane or stupid (even though in hind-sight, my ignorance was flaming :0) ) I still have so much to learn, but I wouldn't change a thing! Even if we never put a CH title on him (and I'm assured that we will...), I'm forever grateful to my breeder.

Sorry this is so long...
              Susan

Comment

That is a REALLY great story Susan. I can say that in the past 30 years, I've probably always bought puppies the wrong way. One thing is for sure, it's clinically impossible for me to go "look at the litter". Once I see their faces and smell the puppy breath, it's ALL OVER for me.
                I am waiting for my first Dane pup; she arrives in 3 weeks. I have correspondended with the breeder for around a year now, and I have asked her a multitude of what I'm sure were irritating and stupid questions - but she's been patient, great, and gave me a lot of valuable insight as to what it is like to be a Dane Breeder. I know it's not for me! I am very passionate about being a Dane owner. I've been waiting for 10 years now to get to a point where I own my home, have plenty of room, a stable job and adequate income to provide for a larger dog. I also have a small child now, so my "pre-baby" favorite breeds (Akitas, Chows, Mastiffs) didn't seem like the best choice to introduce to the household.
                Temperment and health are my number one priorities, and I found a breeder who felt the same way. I've always loved the flashy Harls, but really, curling up with a brindle/fawn/black/blue/mantle with a good book on a rainy day will make me feel just as warm and fuzzy.
                I guess I can say in all honesty that the only difference with my next Dane will be adopting one from a rescue situation. I know that you probably wind up with a higher chance of heartbreak due to health and behavior problems, but I feel as if a 10 or 12 year old child would be more appropriate for that situation than a 4 year old.
                Anyway, thanks for listening to me babble. I had my heart set on a Dane long before I discovered this website, and after reading and participating in some of these threads over the last few months, I know that I have made the best choice in our new addition. (only 3 more weeks!!!!!!!!! :-)

My best boy, Trooper.
                sigpic

Comment

Oop! "Correspondended"? I'm red-faced....
                  My best boy, Trooper.
                  sigpic

Comment

Congrats!! 3 weeks isn't so bad LOL I say that now that I have less than a week till I get my 2nd!! (this time a black female). :-) I'm warning you, one Dane will NOT BE ENOUGH. For 2 months I have answered the same question at least a dozen times a day, "Mamma? Do we get the puppy today?" :-)

MY Dane, hehehe, MINE. He's got more than enough love to go around, but he is my shadow...my buddy. I love this dog. I mean really LOVE this dog. I never in a million years would have guessed that I would WANT to spoil a dog, the way I spoil this one. Never dreamed that I would enjoy making such huge sacrifices of time for a dog!!! (the whole show thing was overwhelmingly scary to me...I was a confirmed CAT person!...the dog was for my hubby and kids, but I was willing to do it for them). I'm happy to do it now...look forward to shows, LOVE introducing people to my fabulous guy...especially people who have never met a Dane up-close and personal! :-) The kids LOVE going to shows and seeing EVERYTHING. My hubby is our biggest fan and supporter! LOL The dog pretty much walks on water :-)

Congrats again to you! It won't be long till your drowning in puppy breath and kisses!
                    Susan

Comment

Thank you! Reading your post has also rekindled my interest in showing. I grew up in a dog 4-H club that my oldest sister joined when I was 3. I entered my first 'fun match' showing our Dachsund mix when I was 4 - and the bug bit me squarely on the !@!@#
                      Anyway, these days finds me in Lassen County, CA; about 500 miles from anywhere, and not much opportunity to show my new puppy. Oh well! Good luck with your efforts, and enjoy the greatest feeling in the world - presenting your pride and joy to new people every week.
                      On the "one is not enough" note, just yesterday my husband put the finishing touches on our outdoor accomodations for the pup (during work hours only!) and already knows that next spring he will be expanding my already monsterous kennel to make room for Dane #2. Poor man - he knows me well though!
                      My best boy, Trooper.
                      sigpic

Comment

RE: When I buy my next Dane. . .

I researched, found a breeder near me, visited and liked what I saw as far as her dogs did live in the house, etc. I didn't like that the dogs had not been offically tested (although does have a two year health "guarantee"),and although the breeder has answered questions and didn't totally abandon me, the relationship is not what I would prefer. Such as, I sent pictures to her, then had to contact her again to see if she had even recieved them. I did not compare. I was not told that the bitch was under the ht. standard and didn't think to ask as she was laid out with her pups, and was not told that the bitch's temperment was "shy" until her first litter of pups.
                        Now I wonder. My dog at a year continues to be healthy thus far, but I wonder. He was timid, or shy, or whatever and thank godness with work is now a happy, well adjusted dog. His rear end scares me. His feet turn out...could be just a comformation flaw. His gait at times seems rough, again could be just a comformation flaw. I paid more for him than the going "companion" rate. Please don't get me wrong, its not about money, but I still wonder if I had taken more time would I have found a dog that I wouldn't wonder quite so much about. Overall he is wonderful and healthy.............? Liz

Comment

GMAC,

:-) Spring next year, huh? hehehe

We'll be in CA next weekend for some shows...Lompoc on the 27th/28th, and Santa Barbara on the 29th. There is a match on the 29th...a Swedish judge. Maybe you'll stop by?? I have NO IDEA how far that is from you.... :-)

I wasn't going to stay for the Sunday show, but my breeder twisted my arm. My boy's sire is out of a Swedish Kennel... :-)

Thanks for the well wishes! I hope you take another crack at showing :-)

Susan

Comment

We live in the northeastern corner of the state - actually closer to Reno than anything - too bad for me! Good luck with you boy,
                            gm
                            My best boy, Trooper.
                            sigpic

Comment

Only 3 weeks of waiting! You lucky dawg! The kennel I want a puppy from isn't having a litter until next spring! Then they'll be having two. But this weekend I did get to meet the bitch that I want a puppy out of. And just like in the pics she's gorgeous. It's a long time to wait, but worth waiting for. I guess the moral of this, in my opinion, is to never settle for something less than what you want. Go to look at puppies & dogs knowing exactly what you want, and if it isn't there, wait until you find it. You just have to remember that there will always be another litter, always another puppy. --Stacy & the Gang

Comment

A whole year - that's tough! I know, because that is how long I've been waiting. I nearly caved this last spring and brought home a male Akita pup; show champion bloodlines, pick of the litter - and only one testicle descended. But, I held out and told myself I've wanted a Dane for 20 years, it's the best dog for my family, and one will come along that will be right for my family.
                                It is worth the wait, especially with these guys. Giving in to the temptation for a quick-puppy I think only ends in heartbreak. There are enough of these posts to verify that is true. No, not everything in life is guaranteed (except death and taxes) so doing your homework and be patient is only a part of it. My big dilemma now is "when can I adopt Dane number two?" :-)

My best boy, Trooper.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X