Rejecting a puppy from a breeder

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rejecting a puppy from a breeder

Just wondering how breeders would feel about the following.
    I am wanting a Harlequin sold as a pet , however being in Australia, we do not have the amount of supply that is afforded in America. So if you want one you normally contact the breeder and are put on a waiting list. Now if you were after a black / blue / fawn, you would have a pretty good shot at being happy with the choice you get in a litter. However, being a Harlequin, the main characteristic would have to be the markings.
    So, as a breeder, how would you feel when you advise a potential buyer that you have a pup available only to be told, "sorry, but due to the mismarks, heavy/light markings etc I will have to say no"? Would you be annoyed that this person is being too picky, based on looks?
    But on the other hand, as a buyer we are paying upwards of $3000 aud for these pups, shouldn't a potential buyer have the right to be a bit choosey when handing over this amount of money?

Hmmm, that's a tough one because they would want to keep the best marked ones for showing, and if you're not showing they might feel like "Why would I give you one of my well marked ones so you can only have a pet and not a showdog?". It might be like wasting a well marked dog. Though, I am not a breeder but that might be what went through my mind if I was! Good luck in your search!
    ~ Lisa & Rupert

Comment

A breeder usually will keep or only sell as show potential the show marked puppies and those that aren't would be sold/available to companion homes.;
      sigpic
      Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
      Associate Member GDCNE
      Member GSPCA
      Member NAVHDA
      Member Central Maine Kennel Club
      High Hopes Great Danes & German Shorthairs

Comment

Totally agree with the breeders right to hold onto show quality pups.

Its more of a question of like, when you put your name down on a waiting list, and lets say 2 halequins are born, one show marked, and the other a really low quality marked pup. Should you as the buyer feel guilty for not wanting to take the poorly marked pup if it was offered to you?

And as the breeder how would that make you feel? Would you hold it against the person that chose not to accept the pup? Would you be less inclined to take requests from that person for future litters?

Comment

If it is a responsible breeder and the only difference between the puppies is markings and all else is equal then there really should be no problem with taking a mismark if I only want a companion...If I was the breeder then yes I would be reluctant to put that person on the list for future JMO
          As a person looking for a companion only I would be far more concerned about temperament, conformation, responsibility of the breeder in breeding a well planned litter from fully health tested parents and impeccable pedigree and who stands behind the pups they produce and socialize them well then I would be a mismark.
          Last edited by kahluadanes; 03-26-2019, 05:40 PM.
          sigpic
          Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
          Associate Member GDCNE
          Member GSPCA
          Member NAVHDA
          Member Central Maine Kennel Club
          High Hopes Great Danes & German Shorthairs

Comment

Working...
          X