Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Loss from congenital heart defect breeder may have been a BYB?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loss from congenital heart defect breeder may have been a BYB?

Our Livy went into cardiac failure three weeks ago and I lost her. She was my baby, I am devastated, I only got to spend three years and two days with her. I thought I did everything right when we got her, I went through the kennel club links I found this breeder and she had a puppy that was supposedly for show but she had too many markings, blue brindle merle with a mantle. I did not research show colours or any thing but care, I’m not a breeder or show person so that didn’t matter. To me. Just a healthy Great Dane pet. She sold me Livy unregistered and said it saves me about 2K to not register her, which is fine by me because again I only want a pet. When we were finally able to get Livy fixed she almost died and the vet said she had a genetic (congenital) heart condition and an opiate allergy. I contacted the breeder and she said oh no keep us posted. Since March and prior. To her passing the. BReeders site is gone and the link on the kennel club is gone and I’m left wondering if I got had and she sold me a dog that was byb and would die young knowingly. I thought I did everything right, how did I go wrong? How can I spot a byb next time, if my husband lets me get another big baby. Did I get had and how did she get in the kennel club directory?

What kennel Club? AKC? If so that doesn't make the breeder reputable.. Any one with AKC puppies/dogs can advertise on the directory once they pay the advertising fee just like any other place that advertises. A responsible breeder also doesn't charge an extra 2K for registration.. 1 it is unethical and 2 it is against AKC policy.. A responsible breeder health tests parents before breeding..not just simple vet exams but real health testingOFA/PennHip on hips, OFA heart & thyroid and OFA/CERF eyes and can offer proof plus you can look it up on the OFA site. They will not deliberately breed mismarks and definitely not "blue brindle".. They will breed per GDCA breed standard.. they will breed for conformation, temperament, health, longevity...the entire package. They will sell all pet only pups on limited registration and spay/neuter contract... There were a lot of red flags with this breeder unfortunately.
    sigpic
    Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
    Associate Member GDCNE
    Member GSPCA
    Member NAVHDA
    Member Central Maine Kennel Club
    High Hopes Great Danes & German Shorthairs

Comment

Very sorry for your loss.

Comment

I didn’t realize akc is a paid membership I thought you had to be a proven breeder to join. I guess that’s where I went wrong. I don’t understand off colours?

Comment

Thank you! I loved her so much

Comment

AKC doesn't do memberships for breeders.. they only register dogs. The advertising in their classified is for anyone that owns and is selling AKC registered dogs /puppies.. Also AKC registered dogs/puppies doesn't mean the pup/dog came from a responsible breeder all it means is that they came from an AKC registered litter from AKC registered parents of the same breed.. There are many irresponsible breeders out there breeding and selling .. Off colors are colors such as Blue Brindle, Brindlequin , Blue Harlequin, Fawnequin, just to name a few.. These colors should not be bred nor should they be deliberately bred for.. A fawn, brindle or blue should never be bred to a harlequin or mantle, a blue should never be bred to a brindle or a fawn these are just examples of colors that should not be bred together.. I suggest that you become familiar with the GDCA breed standard.. it can offer a lot of insight..
            sigpic
            Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
            Associate Member GDCNE
            Member GSPCA
            Member NAVHDA
            Member Central Maine Kennel Club
            High Hopes Great Danes & German Shorthairs

Comment

My sympathies on your loss, Livysmom...I'm so sorry...
              Oceans Four
              Dani SassyPants-11-year-old Mini Dachshund (aka the Mastermind)
              Neo-Great Dane- born January 10th, 2019 (in training to be the Second Story Girl)
              Mayhem-3-year-old Weimaraner/Great Dane mix (aka the Muscle)
              Charlie-10-year-old Ratshire Terrier (aka the Lookout)
              1 untrainable husband who helps herd Oceans Four

Comment

Working...
              X