Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which puppy should I choose?? Pics included

Hi Everyone,

Looking at the photos of the puppies (link below), can anyone see any traits that will exist in adulthood? I couldn't get the pictures to upload properly, so I have created an online album that can be viewed here: https://www.myalbum.com/album/QqCf2HWk1Ykl

Health and temperament seem equal, so really down to choosing on looks here. Need some help from people with experience with Great Danes, as this is my first experience with this breed (all my previous dogs have been Belgian Malinios). I prefer more solid, wide chested Great Danes. I am personally not a fan of the racy, greyhound look (each to their own though!!) but I prefer a dog with more build.

Puppy 1 is 8 weeks old: (First 6 photos)
    • Dam and sire from lines with many champions and healthy dogs with good hip/elbow scores etc.
    • Sire of puppies holds European Championships - CH Luxembourg, CH Netherlands. Handsome dog.
    • Breeder has given no specific info on individual personality, says all the pups are really friendly, calm enjoy human contact
    • Dam is attractive and solid

Puppy 2 is 6 weeks old: (Last 5 photos)
    • Dam and sire from lines with many champions and healthy dogs with good hip/elbow scores etc.
    • Sire does not have any championships but I personally really like his appearance
    • According to breeder the sire is the friendliest and sweetest Dane they have ever encountered and they can't stop gushing about him
    • Grandad (Dad side) is a Croation Champion and beyond stunning, such a handsome dog
    • Breeder has said this puppy is affectionate, very calm and relaxed and really enjoys closeness with people
    • Dam is slightly less attractive in my opinion. She is very, very tall and very lean which I donít love

Honestly, to my completely untrained eye, I can't pick what a puppy will look like as an adult at all! I have seen pictures of gorgeous adults and I would never have put them with their puppy pics, so I am hoping some experienced people on here may be able to help me out more.

Considering health and personality seem pretty even, do both the puppies look good? Are there any things you think you can predict about their adult appearance from how they look now?

I know this is a semi-ridiculous post but I CANNOT choose. I definitely need some objective input...

I will be so, so grateful for any opinions/advice. It's a such a big decision choosing a new family member!! Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Torben's Pack; 06-14-2018, 06:09 PM.

Hi and welcome... Here is a couple of things ...the breed standard is virtually the same in all countries so tehre should be no difference in conformation/looks regardless.. if too big and "overdone" (hypertype) it is not of standard... if Greyhoundy(racy looking) it is not of standard... A Dane should have good bone and substance regardless without being over or under type.. Also having champions in pedigree means nothing unless it is parents. In addition to hips & elbows thyroid , heart & eyes also need to have been tested and passed on both parents. I'm not a fan of the first puppy's head and neck but that could change as he matures.. It is wise to remember that a Dane puppy should not be chunky.. being chunky is too hard on joints... Since you are only interested in a pet/companion either one would likely be fine Good luck and enjoy your new baby.
    sigpic
    Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
    Associate Member GDCNE
    Member GSPCA
    Member NAVHDA
    Member Central Maine Kennel Club
    High Hopes Great Danes & German Shorthairs

Comment

Originally posted by kahluadanes View Post
      Hi and welcome... Here is a couple of things ...the breed standard is virtually the same in all countries so tehre should be no difference in conformation/looks regardless.. if too big and "overdone" (hypertype) it is not of standard... if Greyhoundy(racy looking) it is not of standard... A Dane should have good bone and substance regardless without being over or under type.. Also having champions in pedigree means nothing unless it is parents. In addition to hips & elbows thyroid , heart & eyes also need to have been tested and passed on both parents. I'm not a fan of the first puppy's head and neck but that could change as he matures.. It is wise to remember that a Dane puppy should not be chunky.. being chunky is too hard on joints... Since you are only interested in a pet/companion either one would likely be fine Good luck and enjoy your new baby.
      Thanks very much for the response! It's really nice that you make sure everyone gets a welcome and an answer to their questions, appreciate it. I'm from Australia and I had only ever seen racy look great danes and as a result I was never interested in the breed. Only after meeting a beautiful great dane that looked both powerful and graceful did I realise the breed is beyond stunning.

I ended up getting the second puppy and I'm very happy with that choice, I think he's a gorgeous little thing. I chose based on the breeder at the end of the day. Breeder of the second puppy is fantastic, sent me scans of the hip/elbow scores and other vet test paperwork for both parents and all the grandparents as soon as I asked. She is also very kind and attentive to the puppies, so I know he's getting great start to life.

Can't wait to meet him!!
      Last edited by Torben's Pack; 06-16-2018, 05:21 AM.

Comment

Congratulations Enjoy your new baby
        sigpic
        Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
        Associate Member GDCNE
        Member GSPCA
        Member NAVHDA
        Member Central Maine Kennel Club
        High Hopes Great Danes & German Shorthairs

Comment

Working...
        X