Just a rant.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just a rant.

After joining a few FB groups for Great Danes, I should have known what to expect. The amount of posts offering up their dogs for stud that are nowhere NEAR fit to be bred, the number of people trying to whore out their bitch as much as possible, those advertising "Euro" percentages and "rare and unusual colors" are.... alarming... to say the least. Conformation/showing talk is completely out of the question for them. And, of course, when you call them out on it and try your best to educate, it goes nowhere and resorts to awful, immature name-calling on their side because they are incapable of having a mature conversation.

Sigh. Luckily I have thick skin but it is still just so discouraging.

Thankful for this knowledgeable group.
    sigpic

There are a few good Dane groups and a lot of bad ones. The Great Danes Online group itself has some interesting people, but is really well moderated so the crap gets filtered out.

The Apollo of Dogs - Great Dane Preservation Society, Great Dane Coat Color Information, Great Dane Research & Genetics and Correct Great Dane Info are all decent groups with the type of people you'll meet on this forum - reputable breeders, experienced owners and people who are new to the breed but want to learn.

I've learned to use the block button liberally. I don't engage with people when they want to call me rude or insult me because I'm spending my time attempting to help others with correct information. Definitely takes some thick skin to interact with the general dog owning public on a daily basis, you are absolutely right.
    sigpic

Comment

If there was a like button I'd click it for you Hiraeth.
      ~ Lisa & Rupert

Comment

It's just so discouraging. And even after leaving the group, I am still being flat-out bullied. Basically to a point of verbal harassment. It's taking a lot to not go completely off, but I'm keeping my cool and blocking as much as possible.
        sigpic

Comment

What group are you being targeted on?
          sigpic

Peach, merle Great Dane
          Born July 7 2014
          Peach & Emily!

Comment

PM'ed you.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by emeko View Post
              What group are you being targeted on?
              I'm also curious. There are a few Dane groups that are notorious for being full of bullies.

Just try to let it roll off. Because in all honesty, who cares if a group of backyard breeders and people who think 38% European is a thing don't like you? They bully and bad mouth JP Yousha, one of the most knowledgeable people in the Dane world, on a frequent basis. So you're in esteemed company
              sigpic

Comment

I PM'ed you as well.
                sigpic

Comment

I moderate a couple and it gets very frustrating at times... the rude, insulting people, the incorrect sometimes dangerous info, the people who try to defend irresponsible breeding practices, etc... crazy !!!!
                  sigpic
                  Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
                  Associate Member GDCNE
                  Member GSPCA
                  Member NAVHDA
                  Member Central Maine Kennel Club
                  High Hopes Great Danes & German Shorthairs

Comment

Yeah, I'm experiencing all of that. I've tried contacting admins with no response. So either they haven't seen it yet or they flat out don't care.
                    sigpic

Comment

They probably just don't care. Policing a group that has rules like DOL is difficult and time consuming. It's easier for the admins to make it a free-for-all where they don't care if people get bad information or if ethical breeding practices are supported.
                      sigpic

Comment

That's exactly what happened. Admin basically said it was my fault so nothing will be done. I blocked basically everyone and took my leave from the group, obviously, so hopefully that will be the end of it.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Hiraeth View Post
                          They probably just don't care. Policing a group that has rules like DOL is difficult and time consuming. It's easier for the admins to make it a free-for-all where they don't care if people get bad information or if ethical breeding practices are supported.
                          Yes, it can be very time consuming to say nothing about frustrating and even infuriating at times.. Luckily there are 4 of us that admin/mod on the DOL group so it makes it easier, however sometimes something gets past us..
                          sigpic
                          Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
                          Associate Member GDCNE
                          Member GSPCA
                          Member NAVHDA
                          Member Central Maine Kennel Club
                          High Hopes Great Danes & German Shorthairs

Comment

Ugh. A lot of those groups are the blind leading the blind. Don't ruminate on it, as Hiraeth said, you're in esteemed company with some of the best in the breed, being picked on by those crazies.
                            sigpic

Peach, merle Great Dane
                            Born July 7 2014
                            Peach & Emily!

Comment

That's why I'm not in any of those groups except the good ones that Hireath mentioned. I have left a couple already. They all suck, and the ones for other breeds aren't any better. I'm not even in any poodle groups yet because they're so many crappy ones and I don't know the good ones. But it's not worth the time, effort, and stress to engage with all the trash in the general breed groups. To me, the little good it might do is not worth my sanity
                              sigpic
                              Chaucey
                              Asaah ~ xxx Asaah LaLa, CGC, registered therapy dog

Comment

Working...
                              X