Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Breeder Reference: Natures Haven Farms (Shauna Gordon)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lisacp75 View Post
    I'm in CA too, and know of a few breeders I would buy from in a heartbeat, but they don't breed Blues unfortunately. Have you tried any shows? Or slightly outside the border of California? If you are willing to wait 6-8 months (or more) I would be shocked if you couldn't find a great breeder.
    For whatever reason, blues seem VERY uncommon in CA (and we are very partial to blues, even though we currently own a mantel). We are happy to look at breeders farther away, although would prefer not to have to put a puppy through the trauma of having it air shipped to us.
    We are owned by Cooper (9+ year old male Dane) and Riley (2 year old male Rhodesian Ridgeback)

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TallMartin View Post
      For whatever reason, blues seem VERY uncommon in CA (and we are very partial to blues, even though we currently own a mantel). We are happy to look at breeders farther away, although would prefer not to have to put a puppy through the trauma of having it air shipped to us.
      I wouldn't worry about shipping. They are just fine when they come out of the crate, they don't seem affected at all. My boy popped out of his crate ready to play and acted like he had known us forever. He has a phenomenal tempermant.

Comment

The show ring shouldn't be the sole arbiter of reproductive suitability - some show breeders certainly do that, but those aren't good breeders IMO. Showing is just one piece of the puzzle. My blue is from Ohio, which was only a three hour drive, but I drive 17 hours to Florida for my harl. Worth it to me. I also wouldn't worry about shipping. A well-bred and socialized puppy from a breeder who is breeding for good conformation and health as well as temperament should be just fine with shipping.

I don't know of any blue breeders on your area, but I know of a few in mine. The furthest west is near Saint Louis. I can send you info if you're interested.
        sigpic
        Chaucey
        Asaah ~ xxx Asaah LaLa, CGC, registered therapy dog

Comment

Originally posted by oshagcj914 View Post
          I don't know of any blue breeders on your area, but I know of a few in mine. The furthest west is near Saint Louis. I can send you info if you're interested.
          Please do send me a list of good blue breeders you'd recommend. Thanks!
          We are owned by Cooper (9+ year old male Dane) and Riley (2 year old male Rhodesian Ridgeback)

sigpic

Comment

I'm in Texas (also a big place ) and our first Dane came from Ohio. You might luck out and find a breeder who will have a litter within the next 6-8 months, but you're probably more likely to have to wait a bit. Most have a waiting list several months out.

You do raise a good point about the parents having other titles. I will never buy another dog of any breed from somebody who doesn't have working titles on the back end of both parents.

ETA: I actually have a friend in Santa Cruz with a Dane related to my older boy. Her girl was actually supposed to be ours, but there was another puppy that came available a month or so early!
            sigpic
            Fergus
            SC Dinnie Stone Guardian, CGC
            Eisen Shark
            C Shadows On The Sun, CGC

Comment

Originally posted by TallMartin View Post
              We are in Northern California near Santa Cruz. We ended up with this breeder because there no blue litters from traditional breeders in California (I made inquiries with all the blue breeders with both the state club and the Northern California clubs, as well as talking to the breeder outreach people with both clubs).
              there will be 'big' Great Dane show in Monterey in mid-July; come and see dogs and talk to breeders. Even if they don't have puppies now or there aren't many blue danes, you will get some recommendations and contacts. And maybe you will see a dog in other color who will change your mind about only wanting blue Google Monterey Great Dane Club specialty to find more info; specialty itself is usually Friday but there is all-breed show in the same place Sat and Sun with basically same danes showing.

Comment

Originally posted by Shamu View Post
                there will be 'big' Great Dane show in Monterey in mid-July; come and see dogs and talk to breeders. Even if they don't have puppies now or there aren't many blue danes, you will get some recommendations and contacts. And maybe you will see a dog in other color who will change your mind about only wanting blue Google Monterey Great Dane Club specialty to find more info; specialty itself is usually Friday but there is all-breed show in the same place Sat and Sun with basically same danes showing.
                Ohhhh - now I want to go!!! Great spot for a show.
                -Lisa (Zoomer's mom)

Comment

Originally posted by lisacp75 View Post
                  Ohhhh - now I want to go!!! Great spot for a show.
                  It's only what, 4 hours drive from LA
                  but there is one closer to you and sooner! http://www.gdcc.org/
                  Specialty is Th and Friday, 2 shows in one day; and then I believe most of Danes will be staying for all-breed on weekend. check infodog.com for weekend info and Dane ring times (time might not be up yet, will be posted closer to the show dates)

Comment

Originally posted by Shamu View Post
                    there will be 'big' Great Dane show in Monterey in mid-July
                    Thanks - we will be there!

http://www.mbgdc.org/specialty.html

Friday, July 15, 2016
                    Carmel Middle School, Carmel, CA

sigpic

Comment

Haven't been on the DOL boards in many months but came across this post

I researched breeders FOREVER before finally settling. At the time there was also nothing (that matched what we were looking for) in a 3 state area. I was extremely careful to only purchase from a reputable breeder. Everything these others have said is so correct, be careful and pick wisely!

I live in Oregon and got my pup from North Carolina. Never met the breeder but felt 100% confident and had zero worries. I did a lot of research and knew I would receive an awesome pup! And she is!!! Yes, she was obviously shipped across the country. She made it safely and is a well adjusted 15 month old now!

Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                      X