Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Breeder Reference: Natures Haven Farms (Shauna Gordon)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breeder Reference: Natures Haven Farms (Shauna Gordon)

We are on the cusp of purchasing a female blue from [non-showing breeder]. In my conversations with her, she sounds great, and I'm happy with the way her dogs look. However, given how far she is from us, we won't be able to visit her kennel or meet her dogs before making the purchase. We were wondering if anyone has experience dealing with her or her dogs. She only OFA tests every third generation, and is working on getting the OFA scores from the puppy's grandparents.
    Last edited by TallMartin; 05-16-2016, 01:37 PM. Reason: fixed links
    We are owned by Cooper (9+ year old male Dane) and Riley (2 year old male Rhodesian Ridgeback)

sigpic

This is not what those on DOL would define as a reputable breeder. There is a lot to learn here - I highly suggest you read all the links provided on choosing a breeder, the ABCs of puppy buying, etc etc. Best of luck to you!

PS: I don't believe you are allowed to post breeder names here, and those links might be iffy too.
    -Lisa (Zoomer's mom)

Comment

Here is the link - read all of the "stickies" at the top for more info:

http://www.danesonline.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9
      -Lisa (Zoomer's mom)

Comment

OFA testing needs to be done every time...a lot can go wrong in 3 generations. The parents should also be shown, preferably to championship, before being bred.

Comment

This is not a reputable breeder. Reputable breeders show to champion the sire and bitch and OFA health test for eyes, hips, cardiac, and thyroid every generation, not every three.

Please remove the links, as well. Breeder links and names are not permitted on this forum.
          sigpic
          Willow and Liv

Comment

I would run away from this breeder and look for a better one. There is absolutely no reason to breed without showing and health testing ALL breeding animals except to save money. What state do you live in. There are members here who might be able to point you in the right direction via private message, although you should still research any breeder you're considering. Definitely take a look at the links to buying a purebred puppy for info on what to look for in a reputable breeder. There are plenty of good ones out there, there's no need to settle for someone who isn't doing it right.
            sigpic
            Chaucey
            Asaah ~ xxx Asaah LaLa, CGC, registered therapy dog

Comment

We are in Northern California near Santa Cruz. We ended up with this breeder because there no blue litters from traditional breeders in California (I made inquiries with all the blue breeders with both the state club and the Northern California clubs, as well as talking to the breeder outreach people with both clubs).
              We are owned by Cooper (9+ year old male Dane) and Riley (2 year old male Rhodesian Ridgeback)

sigpic

Comment

Better to drive a long ways or ship from a good breeder. No need to stay local and buy from a breeder just looking to make some cash from selling puppies.
                Tracy
                sigpic
                Mouse April 2010
                Echo -- run free, Sweetie! Jan 9, 2007 - April 24, 2014 Lost to osteosarcoma at 7 years, 3 months. RIP.

Comment

This is not exactly a "local" breeder. She is six hours by car from us. As you may have heard, California is a big place...

sigpic

Comment

My well bred pup came from over 1,000 miles away. I also didn't pick the first blue breeder who had pups on the ground because it was convenient and I didn't want to wait. I researched breeders and dogs, i found what I wanted, and it took about a year from first contact for me to get my puppy. For what you would be paying for a byb pup you could get a very well bred dane from health tested and championed parents. I know it is hard to wait when you want a puppy but it is so worth it to get a healthy well bred pup.

Comment

Great points.

On the one hand, I've met a number of "well bred" dogs with championships (both Danes and Ridgebacks) who had amazing conformation and terrible dispositions. These were stunningly beautiful dogs with boxes of ribbons and trophies I would not have wanted in our home with our children and other pets.

To me, this is the fundamental flaw with using the show ring as the sole arbiter of reproductive suitability. Just because a dog will tolerate being handled and examined by a judge for a few minutes does not mean that they have the personality make good family pets. I've also seen first hand the incestuous nature of the dog show circuit ("I'll handle this week while you judge, and then you will handle next week while I judge...") and how this can lead to skewed outcomes. I'm met a number of breeders over the years who produced wonderful dogs who did not have the time or the inclination to deal with the show circuit and its associated politics.

This all goes to say that I'm a little skeptical of the hard requirement that it is necessary to have a dog with champion conformation bloodlines in order to have a trustworthy family pet. I have owned two show quality Ridgebacks with championship bloodlines, but I specifically chose breeders who also bred for agility, lure coursing, obedience, and tracking in hopes of getting dogs which did more that look good and conform closely to the standard (and neither dog has disappointed).

All that said, I understand the need to breed to a standard. Also, the frequency with which this person is breeding her bitches and the lack of OFA testing do give me serious pause (which is why I'm on this forum). I'd also prefer to meet the dam and the sire in person to get spend some time with them get a sense of their temperament, which unfortunately is not possible given how far away this person lives from us. Thus, I don't think this is the puppy we are looking for.

If anyone knows of a blue breeder who has a litter planned in the coming 6-8 months, please let me know.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TallMartin View Post
                        Great points.

This all goes to say that I'm a little skeptical of the hard requirement that it is necessary to have a dog with champion conformation bloodlines in order to have a trustworthy family pet. I have owned two show quality Ridgebacks with championship bloodlines, but I specifically chose breeders who also bred for agility, lure coursing, obedience, and tracking in hopes of getting dogs which did more that look good and conform closely to the standard (and neither dog has disappointed).

All that said, I understand the need to breed to a standard. Also, the frequency with which this person is breeding her bitches and the lack of OFA testing do give me serious pause (which is why I'm on this forum). I'd also prefer to meet the dam and the sire in person to get spend some time with them get a sense of their temperament, which unfortunately is not possible given how far away this person lives from us. Thus, I don't think this is the puppy we are looking for.

If anyone knows of a blue breeder who has a litter planned in the coming 6-8 months, please let me know.
                        My pups mom also has titles other than conformation, that was a major reason I wanted a puppy from her so bad. It isn't likely that you will meet the sire, as breeders generally have to travel to get a breeding from the best stud, not just who is available down the street. I know of a litter that is planned for this fall that I can pm you about.

Comment

Thanks for not slapping me down for "farting in church"

Looking forward to your DM

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TallMartin View Post
                            Great points.

On the one hand, I've met a number of "well bred" dogs with championships (both Danes and Ridgebacks) who had amazing conformation and terrible dispositions. These were stunningly beautiful dogs with boxes of ribbons and trophies I would not have wanted in our home with our children and other pets.

To me, this is the fundamental flaw with using the show ring as the sole arbiter of reproductive suitability. Just because a dog will tolerate being handled and examined by a judge for a few minutes does not mean that they have the personality make good family pets. I've also seen first hand the incestuous nature of the dog show circuit ("I'll handle this week while you judge, and then you will handle next week while I judge...") and how this can lead to skewed outcomes. I'm met a number of breeders over the years who produced wonderful dogs who did not have the time or the inclination to deal with the show circuit and its associated politics.

Most of us agree with you - thus showing is NOT the only thing we look at. If you read the stickies or past posts on the forum about ethical breeders, you will find that most of us want "the whole package."

I'm glad that you have already experienced what it is like to own such dogs in the past, and am also glad you are bypassing this pup. I'm in CA too, and know of a few breeders I would buy from in a heartbeat, but they don't breed Blues unfortunately. Have you tried any shows? Or slightly outside the border of California? If you are willing to wait 6-8 months (or more) I would be shocked if you couldn't find a great breeder.
                            -Lisa (Zoomer's mom)

Comment

Originally posted by shighland View Post
                              It isn't likely that you will meet the sire, as breeders generally have to travel to get a breeding from the best stud, not just who is available down the street.
                              This was more an ideal circumstance than a requirement. With my first Ridgeback, I never met the sire, while with my second, the breeder happened to own both the dam and the sire.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X