Pregnant great dane

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pregnant great dane

Hi around five weks ago we get a great dane not from a rescue or shelter from some gay how said that he found her abounded in some house. So I took her to my vet he said that she is around 1 year old her weigt was almost 78 pound and she almost lost her coat. So I get her the best food the prescription vitamins. And right now she is looking great. But my concern is that she is pregnant and I don't know from whom.I took her to my vet and he told me that she is beetween 55-60 days. And that I have to start to check her fever every day , tobe able to found out when she will go in labor. And right nkow I'm lost. I love this dog. My kids love her a lot. But for true I don't know from where to start. And another problem. Do anybody know if I can get for her any pedegree some how. Because we don't have for her no papers.

WOW!?!?!? Why would you want papers?? It wont help with mixed breed puppies. Give the pups to a rescue and have the mom fixed it you MUST keep her.
    sigpicShannon and Floyd.

Comment

Originally posted by Floyd's mom View Post
      WOW!?!?!? Why would you want papers?? It wont help with mixed breed puppies. Give the pups to a rescue and have the mom fixed it you MUST keep her.
      I will fix her, but I don't know how the rescue will treat the puppies and how long they will keep them a life if it's take to lng to adopt them. I try to ask all my friends if some one want a puppy. So far i foud two. my kids babbysitter and my best friend. I love dogs I was raised with dobermans and german sheperds 6 of them . That why I took Siena. And I had a doberman which one 6 month ago had a sergery ne had only one testicals , so he almost didn't make it and we spent alot of money. So I don't think so I have a heart to give this puppies to the rescue or human society.

Comment

Papers don't matter. She is a rescue, she is a pet, very young and unfortunately, pregnant. You don't know what the father is, let alone his history so what does it matter what her pedigree is? You can't do anything with it. Did you want the pedigree BEFORE you found out she was pregnant? And if she came from some guy who found her in an abandoned house, why would you want her pedigree and how would you expect to get it?

Comment

Originally posted by JLBG View Post
          Papers don't matter. She is a rescue, she is a pet, very young and unfortunately, pregnant. You don't know what the father is, let alone his history so what does it matter what her pedigree is? You can't do anything with it. Did you want the pedigree BEFORE you found out she was pregnant? And if she came from some guy who found her in an abandoned house, why would you want her pedigree and how would you expect to get it?
          I was try to found out about her the same day i got her. Frst I was mad with her ex-owner I was hoping I get his information and the secon I took her to check for microchip was nothing. I went on line on AKC site because i'm the member with my doberman I found her name but 1974.. SO was nothing' .

Comment

A rescue is a wonderful thing, they will keep the puppies tell they all have wonderful homes and make sure that they are fixed before the adopt them out.
            sigpicShannon and Floyd.

Comment

yep, I'd contact your local rescue--they'll usually try to help place mixed breeds Unfortunately, papers are going to be impossible, so I wouldn't waste time worrying about them! Good luck!
              sigpic--Shana and Riley

Comment

If she was found in an abandoned house, there isn't even a guarantee that these are going to be full Dane pups (and why on earth would you think you could get/want papers from her if she's a stray?). Agreed with the others, give the pups to rescue to place, spay the mom and give her a good home to live out the rest of her life. Sounds like she's been through too much already. Rescues are in it for the life of the dog. You are much (MUCH) better off allowing them to find suitable homes for the fixed puppies than you are placing them with random people you know (or even don't).
                *~Molly and Oakley~*

sigpic

Comment

I am sorry, is this a joke? Whelping pups is a huge responsibilty, you should try to surrender her to a rescue. They will do the right thing for her and her pups and they ususally have the financial backing to help pay for a c-section if it necessary, they have foster homes to work with the puppies. Also you said you have kids, are you prepared for the female to get protective of her pups, can you provider her a clean quiet warm place for her puppies. DO you know when she is deleivering the puppies it needs to be 85 degrees to keep the puppies born? DO you have an emergency kit for a puppy that comes out with fliud in his mouth? DO you have $2000 to put into these puppies and to the mom? Do you have finances to get ther to the vet for a check up to check she has an okay discharge? You really plan to kep the puppies until they are spayed and neutered, like 4 months old? Are you able to potty trin them, feed them 40 cups a food a day? Has she even had an ultrasound, so you know how many puppies there are? I am not trying to be mean, I am being realistic...you should call a rescue today.
                  sigpic
                  Nichole Monahan
                  www.ohiogreatdanerescue.org
                  www.meetup.com/greatdane-nwohio/

Comment

Your best option for all involved (you, your family, the Dane, and her puppies) is to turn her over to a reputable Great Dane rescue...not the animal shelter or the Humane Society.

Under the most optimum conditions, whelping and raising a litter is risky and tough. Given this girl's previous body condition and unknown background, whelping a litter is going to be extremely risky! A reputable Great Dane rescue has the knowledge and ways and means to make sure the mom gets the best care, and that all the puppies will go to screened homes.

I think it's wonderful that you took her and nursed her back to a good condition, but if you want to be fair to her, the puppies, and yourself, contact a Great Dane rescue ASAP!
                    sigpic
                    RIP my sweet Zeus Boy. I'll always love you. 08/28/01 - 08/23/11
                    Levi...born June 29th, 2011
                    Stella...Gotcha Day May 19th, 2013 (born February 26, 2012)
                    Levi and Stella's Facebook page:
                    https://www.facebook.com/LeviAndStella?ref=hl

Comment

Can you have a rescue take care of her and the puppies and return her to you when she's whelped them. I assume since you took her in you want to keep her, so I can understand not wanting to give her up to them.

I would think a rescue would understand your situation and work with you.

Comment

Where are you located? Someone may be able to put you in touch with a reputable rescue near you.

ilovekbanda has asked you some really valid questions. She works with rescue and a few months ago, received a pregnant female who gave birth to 11 dane pups! She did an excellent job raising them, despite the mother dying when the pups were only 5 days old. There are so many harsh realities that you can't really plan for. Placing mom with a great dane rescue is really the best thing you can do for her and those puppies.

Please make the right decision and put Siena's best interests FIRST. We can help you.
                        Katie & Scarlett
                        sigpic

Comment

Since this bitch is not in the best health are you prepared to hand raise a litter of puppies?

I really hope you are joking, because it is not fun to have a litter of puppies and should be taken seriously. Great Dane litters are expensive and could have some serious complications! I lost a bitch during whelping and had to hand raise each and every puppy and lost thousands and thousands of dollars! I hope you are prepared financially, mentally and physically! Her papers are the LEAST of your worries right now, believe me!

Good luck!
                          ~Amy~

Comment

Rescues are nothing like the local Humane Society. Very often, the dogs are kept in the homes of experienced volunteers, rather than kennels (I know from personal experience, as I am one of those homes and whelped a rescue litter last year). They are treated just as well as any other pets in the household and taken very good care of.

I agree that your best option is to see if your local rescue would be able to take her until the pups are ready to go. Have them place the pups. They have great screening processes and the resources to vaccinate, worm, spay/neuter these pups. These are things that you will not have to worry about. On top of the fact that they have the resources to deal with any issues that may come up during or after whelping. A C-Section will cost in the thousands. Not to mention the cost of feeding and caring for the pups. I'm sure if you discuss the situation with the rescue there would be something they could work out so that you get the dam back when the pups are ready to be on their own. It's a nice thing you've done to give her a loving home. I'm sure they will understand.

This is A LOT of responsibility for someone that is experienced. I would think it to be overwhelming for someone that has none. There are many sleepless nights, lots of clean-up, making sure the whelping area is warm enough, someone with the pups 24/7 to ensure no one gets rolled on and squished, everyone is eating, etc, etc... My rescue litter went very smoothly. Eight, fortunately, very healthy pups considering the circumstances of the dam. No problems whelping and a great Mom. We did have to supplement with bottle-feeding, as the dam was so underweightt, that even at 18 cups of food a day, she was still losing weight feeding the pups. Otherwise, all was well. Total cost (including x-ray to get an idea of # of pups and vacs for dam, food, whelping supplies, puppy vacs, etc): $3500. That was for 9 weeks, with NO problems (other than having to do some supplemental bottle feeding). This is a lot of work! Keep in mind, normal gestation is 63 days. Your girl is very close. The best of luck no matter what you do. I hope the best for your girl and the pups.
                            Mari
                            Twin Bay Danes

Comment

I agree with the others. Do contact a rescue and explain the situation. I'm sure they can help with the whelping or put you in contact with someone who can. It really is very risky to do it on your own. I'm sure they will have no problem with you keeping the dam afterwards. I know that you had they right intentions in your heart when you took her in. This is just a bump in the road but, you have to handle it with care and thought.

Good luck and let us know how it goes along the way.
                              sigpic
                              Roxy & Ace

Comment

Working...
                              X