Future Of Breeding??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Future Of Breeding??

Surrogate Dams. Is this going to be a "new age" concept in breeding??

The AKC is going to allow on a one-time basis, to register a litter produced using a surrogate dam..under certain conditions.

The request involved a future Portuguese Water Dog litter, produced from eggs harvested from a now spayed bitch using a surrogate dam of the same breed.

The conditions involve DNA testing and other things. I know "cow people" have been doing this for years. Using what they call "scrub" cows to incubate the offspring of superior specimens.

Does this mean that in the future when you have a Specials bitch that is doing some great winning, that you don't have to take a time out for a litter?? Just take some of her eggs, fertilize.. and implant into her lesser award winning sister?? Far Out.
    A question..can a spay bitch still produce eggs??

Dee
    sigpic

RE: Future Of Breeding??

Its done on horses too.I think cool.Canine spay the ovaries are removed and the uterus.Just like a hysterectomy on us.Maybe they will leave uterus becasue theyd have to have it to carry the other bitches pups.I have some articles that was posted on it but I havent realy read all them yet.

http://www.xceldanes.com/lisa.jpg
    www.xceldanes.com
    sigpicLisa
    www.xceldanes.com

Comment

The uterus needs the hormones produced by the ovaries to create the lining that the eggs need to implant. So, if yer gonna take the ovaries, the uterus is 'no good' anymore...so take it too.

Now, I suppose you could take the uterus and leave the ovaries in, say, a specials bitch. She could produce eggs to be harvested and used in another bitch...but never carry a litter herself. Might make it easier to keep her along with a male....no need to worry about her getting pregnant. Of course, as will all this 'advanced technology', the success rate isn't as good as 'au natural' and it MUST be pretty expensive...

Gosh...you could put those eggs in ANY dane as long as she was healthy and a good mother...
      Andre 1/23/2002 - 12/27/2009: I loved you all your life...and I shall miss you for the rest of mine.

sigpic

Comment

I assumed thed give hormones to maintain all but have no clue.

http://www.xceldanes.com/lisa.jpg
        www.xceldanes.com
        sigpicLisa
        www.xceldanes.com

Comment

Test tube puppies? What will they think of next? :P

Cindy

"As long as animals are viewed as disposable commodities, the true value of the ethical breeder will never be appreciated."
          sigpic

Comment

In the species where embryo tranfers are used, registerable, and getting more common, it works a little differently than you are supposing.

The Arabian Horse Association has begun to allow this, and my Mentor has a National Champion caliber mare that has surpassed her purchase price in one breeding seasons earnings thru embroy transfer.

What they actually do in horses is medicate (hormonally) the mare so she ovulates multiple eggs (doesn't happen naturally in horses, as twinning always results in TWO dead foals) then they breed the actual mare producing the eggs. At 10 or so days, I believe, they flush the mare's uterus, capture the embryos and transplant them into a batch of surrogate mares that have been chemically maintained to the proper hormone levels to maintain the pregnancies. It doesn't always work, lots of times the embryos don't implant, etc., but they are getting better at it.

One of the interesting side effects of equine embryo transfer is, for the first time ever, the possibility of having FULL brothers or FULL sisters showing in the same age-restricted classes.

This has been happening quite a bit longer in AQHA circles so that really fantastic reining, cutting, or other performance mares can have a surrogate carry their foal and they don't lose time, training, or condition.

The only way to harvest eggs from a spayed bitch, I would think, would be to harvest during ovulation and freeze the eggs rather like frozen semen BEFORE the spay. There is probably a hormone you can give them to encourage them to ovulate much higher numbers at a time, then those eggs can all be harvested and saved for later. Unless perhaps someone is performing tubal ligations on bitches.

Curiouser and curiouser.

Comment

So that begs the question: You have your perfect specials bitch out doing the show circuit, and have all her puppies incubated and raised by the surrogate mother. How do you know then, if maybe your superior specials bitch would have been one of those mothers to ignore, neglect, or eat her puppies? Would you want to breed an animal who might have looked and acted perfect, but was a lousy mom to her pups?

I'm not a breeder, so I don't have the answer to that question, if there is an answer. It just seems as if that is part of the package -the ability of a bitch to whelp and raise a litter in a normal manner.
              My best boy, Trooper.
              sigpic

Comment

I was just speculating about what may happen in the future..about the Specials bitch. Who knows what the AKC may allow in breeding practices.

AI, surgical implants and shipping sperm are fairly recent developments..so who knows what's next??

Dee
                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                X