Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Breeding your own dog...........what you should know first.

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RE: Breeding your own dog...........what you should know first.

If you know the standard and know the breed then you should be familar with coat patterns and what colors breed together and which mixes should be avoided.

Here are a few sites you should look into: http://www.gdca.org/codeofethics.htm - The Great Dane Club of America's "code of ethics"

And here is their color code..a chart of approved color breedings.
    http://www.gdca.org/colorcode.htm - The colors for Blue breedings are listed on the 3rd section of the chart.

If you plan on breeding your girl you may want to have some further vet work done too. Not just a vet saying "Yep, the dog's healthy" You should look into some health certifications such as OFA and CERF. Afterall, the Dane breed has enough health issues as it is so any dog being bred should at least have a few of these health screenings.

Anywho..I wish the best for your girl. Hope all goes well whatever you decide. Happy Holidays.

Comment

Just in case you didn't notice this about DOL. This is a site where people care about the breed as a whole. It is a place to educate people on how to buy a Great Dane and how to care for one. People are here to share their love for the breed. This is not a place where those same people will readily and or happily tell people how to breed their pets. Pets are not for breeding. I know that ticks you off because it is not what you want to hear but it is the truth.
      Trying to justify breeding your pet because you and other people think she is beautiful is wrong and ridiculous. There are a lot of beautiful pets in the world and thank god everyone doesn't have the mind frame that you have thinking that means they need to be or should be bred.
      You say you donate to rescues all over.. I find it odd that you have such concern about all the homeless pets but yet feel the need to make more. You can call it rude all you wish but what it really is, is the truth and that is obviously something you are not interested in.

Vaccines, justly credited as the tamers of disease epidemics, are nevertheless the leading killers of dogs and cats in America today."
      Martin Goldstein, D.V.M
      "The best vaccine for disease prevention is proper diet"

http://www.eastwooddanes.com/NovB.jpg

Comment

>she deserves to be bred since she is
        >prettier than most great danes

I guess I wouldn't risk my dog having complications during pregnancy or labor just because she is pretty. Not worth risking her life IMO.
        Mandi

Comment

Please do not breed your girl. I'm not a breeder just an owner, but the breeders here are giving you sound advice. If you really love your girl get her spayed and shower her with love. They don't live all that long as it is. Why risk ending her life even sooner.

Comment

I'm on my second Great Dane. My first was a poorly bred merle. She looked like a greyhound until she was 3 years old and filled out a little. People still told me she was beautiful. People stopped their cars while I was walking her to tell me how beautiful she was. Everybody loved her. She was a wonderful pet! I didn't breed her. I got her spayed.

My second Dane is a well bred merle. People tell me she's beautiful. If I bring her anywhere I have to stop every few feet to hear how beautiful she is. Everybody loves her. She's a wonderful pet! She's even a good example of the breed (aside from color). I'm not going to breed her. I had her spayed.

I'd be willing to bet that every single Great Dane owner has been told their dog is beautiful by multiple people. They've been told by friends, family and strangers that their dog is beautiful. Most likely, all of us have been asked if we're going to breed our beautiful dogs. Great Danes attract attention. It is human nature to want more of something that is considered beautiful. You don't have to be the one to produce more of the beauty. Check the rescues and the reputable breeders. They have an abundance of beautiful dogs (mostly the rescues do, reputable breeders go for quality, not quantity). If you want a dog like yours in another color, go buy or rescue one! I have no doubt that your dog is beautiful. If you get a new dog or puppy, you'll consider that one just as beautiful no matter what it looks like just because it will be yours.

Julie and all her pets (Maia, Titan, Max, Ned, Lizzie, Louie, Einstein, Crisco, Zoey, Eris, Buzz, Pretzel, Vlad, and Rusty)
            Julie
            Duds and Miles 5- and 6-year-old fawns, Smudge (terrier mix); Bobke, Fig, Olive, Albert (cats); Einstein (African Grey), Rocky (Amazon Parrot).
            RIP Willow 12/95 - 04/04, Maia 03/05 - 10/11, Maverick 11/07-10/14, Spencer 05/06-12/14
            Upper Midwest Great Dane Rescue Volunteer www.thegreatdanerescue.com
            sigpic

Comment

Great post Julie and oh so true.
              Carolyn
              Divine Acres Great Danes
              Carolyn
              Divine Acres Great Danes
              Divine Acres The Legend "Bruce" 5 1/2 months old..5th generation of DA Danes!
              sigpic

Comment

It sounds to me that you have an awful big chip on your shoulder.
                It doesn't make a dog a mutt if it isn't one of the accepted colors, but it also doesn't help the breed out either by delibrately breeding for unaccepted colors. The color code is waht it is for a reason, it was put in place by people with a lot of knowledge of the breed...more then you have...more then most people here have...people who dedicated their lives to making the breed we love longer lived, healthier,better conformed, etc. The people here who have given you advise have tons of knowledge, tons of experience..you would do well to listen to them.
                As for beauty..yup your Dane is beautiful as is every single Dane in the world..that's the way it is..we all love our Danes. I have a Dane who is beautiful despite her conformation fault, she has a wonderfully sweet disposition, she has obedience and rally titles, her cgc and she is a certified therapy dog, she also has excellant hips and a good pedigree not outstanding, but good. I've been asked at least 100 x if I'm going to breed her...No I AM NOT!!! She is spayed..I think she's lovely but I also am aware that she is a pet quality Dane and should not be bred..she has nothing to offer back to the breed in which to make improvement. Do I get insulted if someone mentions to me that she isn't a breeding quality Dane, heck no...is she my dog to do with as I please..sure she is, but I love the breed and I love her so this means because of both things she is better suited as my loving companion. It is hard sometimes to admit to ourselves that the dog we hold in such high regard in our eyes, in our life just is not meant to add to the gene pool.
                Another thing to note there is a lot more then looks to be considered in breeding..health (no not just simple vet exams) which includes OFA/PennHip, CERF/PRA, thyroid..Danes are too prone to hip dysplasia and thyroid issues to take a chance of breeding dogs who don't pass simple health tests...and no there is no way of knowing these problems exist without the proper tests being done,longevity, conformation, temperament, pedigree, all needs to be in place, an entire package not just bits and pieces of it.

I work in the vet field and have for over 30 years I can't tell you the number of clients we have who breed because "she/he is beautiful/handsome", "has such a sweet disposition", etc and would you like to venture a guess on how many of these dogs while sweet in their own way, should not be bred..who have absolutely nothing to offer back to their breeds end up with health issues, puppies who don't sell,looking for rescues or shelters to take the pups, etc, etc???

Dale
                sigpic
                Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
                Associate Member GDCNE
                Member GSPCA
                Member NAVHDA
                Member Central Maine Kennel Club
                High Hopes Great Danes & German Shorthairs

Comment

Kristin, since your bitch is only 8 moinths old...as you stated in your other post under "color and genetics"...I am concerned that you ALSO aren't aware that NO dane bitch should be bred until the age of two.
                  As you are apparently considering breeding her....I would like to ask why? You say "she deserves to be bred"...why? Has she passed her OFA health testing? Has she been entered in confrormation shows and proven herself to be a good representative of the breed? What about her temperament, lineage? What are the known health issues and conformational faults behind her? Ancestor's temperaments, color?
                  As I am certain you (with an 8 month old bitch)haven't had any health testing done(most cannot be accomplished til' the age of two with certification), and at 8 months...doubtful she has been to too many shows...and pedigree...apparently you do NOT have a mentor in her breeder with any knowledge...or you wouldn't be asking about the color crossing that you were asking about.
                  SPAY your bitch. Buy a pup of the color choice you would prefer and spay/neuter it as well. You WILL be doing the breed a service by doing so...please do so.

Edited for typos

Comment

Little story about the breeder of our baby Annie. He had two Harls that he thought were beautiful, nice dogs and everyone wanted a puppy. His girl had: a Fawn/black mask, Fawn/no mask, a Merle, a Harl, a black and white, and two whites. When it came time for them to be sold, waddaya know, no one that said they wanted one had the money or time or mood. We got Annie. She is the sweetest little thing I've ever had. She is also cute , funny, silly, smart, loving, everything you could ever want. When she was picked up the breeder said, 'If you breed her I expect to be compensated'. Did I mention that she is also blind and crippled? The stars lined up perfectly for Ed & I and Annie to find each other and I shudder to think what would have happened to this precious little Dane if we hadn't. I don't know what happened to her brothers and sisters and I don't want to. Are you ready to deal with something like this? Annie and her siblings lived outside and were born on New Year's Day. Seven Dane puppies in the house was too much and they weren't prepared for the rivers of pee and poop, and the puppies covered in it and smearing it all over. It took Annie longer to learn how to eat out of a bowl (it was easier to just dump a bag out in the yard) than it took her to learn her way around the house and yard. Think about ALL aspects of having a litter while you're reading the GDCA code of ethics and the GDCA color code. Learning can be a lot of fun and takes a lot less effort than being unprepared. Once the puppies are here it's too late to say that maybe you weren't quite ready and maybe should have waited 'til you knew more. Many, many people have done that and I'd hate to see you be one of them as you really seem to love your dog. Look and read and study and discuss and then do something you can be PROUD of.
                    ~Patty~ I have the right to remain silent; I don't have the ability.

Comment

Adding sobering statistics from the Black Pearls of the Dog World web site here: http://www.blackpearldogs.com/

US studies show the following numbers in relation to animal relinquishment at shelters:

Puppy Mills 20 %
                      Feral (wild) dogs 1 %
                      Breeders 12 %
                      Casual breedings 67 %

That last statistic speaks volumes about the impact of Backyard Breeders (BYBs) on the animal overpopulation problem. Great Dane rescues all over the US are filled to capacity and every year 4 to 6 million animals are euthanized by animal welfare organizations.

Think you don't qualify as a BYB or casual breeder? See here: http://www.nopuppymillscanada.ca/byb.htm

If you do not plan to put in the time/work to become an ethical breeder (showing, health testing, and temperament testing) please spay your pup when she comes of age. Please don't add to this heartwrenching national problem.

http://www.lissa.net/Joya/images/3-pack.gif
                      Lissa's 3-Pack: Savannah, Merlot, & Jupiter
                      Visit them at: http://www.lissa.net/Joya/
                      MAGDRL: http://www.magdrl.org/
                      AKC CGC Evaluator #9661 since 2003
                      Feeding RMB since 2001
                      Lissa's furkids: Jupiter (RIP), Merlot (RIP), Savannah, and Poet
                      sigpic
                      Visit them at: http://www.lissa.net/Joya/
                      MAGDRL: http://www.magdrl.org/
                      AKC CGC Evaluator #9661 since 2003
                      Feeding RMB since 2001

Comment

I'm new to this forum; is there a reason I can't seem to see the first posts in most of the Stickies?

I'm interested in reading this one but the first post I see is ->

"Great link, JP.

Paul, you think this one is worth an anchor?

Jill"

Posted on 11-22-2004.

Help?

Comment

Look at http://www.wonderpuppy.net/1breeding.php about half way down the page.

Originally posted by Brinny-chan View Post
                          I'm new to this forum; is there a reason I can't seem to see the first posts in most of the Stickies?

I'm interested in reading this one but the first post I see is ->

"Great link, JP.

Paul, you think this one is worth an anchor?

Jill"

Posted on 11-22-2004.

Help?
                          ------------------------
                          Great Danes Online
                          www.danesonline.com
                          ------------------------
                          Great Danes Online Facebook
                          http://www.facebook.com/danesonline
                          ------------------------
                          Admin Blog
                          -------------//--------------

Comment

Great, thanks!

Comment

kind of on the same subject

I know of a byb who intentionally breeds for off colors, she has produced a impure litter and a litter that had 4 or 5 cases of hod. The impure litter had it's papers pulled and so she has 13 puppies to replace I believe. Akc is aware of all her well I can't even think of a nice thing to call it. What does it take to get her ability to register puppies taken away. She produces males that are 27 inches at the shoulder and I won't even mention what has happened to puppies and dog's in her care. I and other people have reported these thing's yet nothing is being done.

Comment

Originally posted by Lgdanes View Post
                                I know of a byb who intentionally breeds for off colors, she has produced a impure litter and a litter that had 4 or 5 cases of hod. The impure litter had it's papers pulled and so she has 13 puppies to replace I believe. Akc is aware of all her well I can't even think of a nice thing to call it. What does it take to get her ability to register puppies taken away. She produces males that are 27 inches at the shoulder and I won't even mention what has happened to puppies and dog's in her care. I and other people have reported these thing's yet nothing is being done.
                                There was a famous kennel that was suspended from AKC for poor record keeping, it's weird because I think that was the only reason her dogs were very well breed and she produced I think over 50 champions. I also think they would do the same if this breeder continued to register puppies incorrectly, not 100% on what you mean by impure? Do you mean she is swapping papers? Also are you sure they are AKC registered and not CKC, the non Canadian one. 27 inches tall is pretty tiny

Comment

Working...
                                X