Abortion Pill for Dogs?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Abortion Pill for Dogs?

The accidental breeding post got me wondering about a "morning after" pill for dogs. Do vets dispense such a thing? If you were to have an unplanned mating, then doesn't it make more sense to take the female in immediately and do "something" to abort the puppies? I'm all for the sacred nature of life, etc., but it seems to me that anyone experiencing something like this would be more anxious to avoid having an unplanned litter of puppies to deal with.

FWIW, I don't believe there are "accidental breedings", just irresponsible owners.
    My best boy, Trooper.
    sigpic

RE: Abortion Pill for Dogs?

There is an injection your Vet can give. Our clinic called it a "post-pit" injection, but I have no idea what's in the injection. I would think some type of hormone that prevents the fetus from implanting in the uterus? The injection needs to be given within a specific amount of time after the mating.

Cindy

Comment

That would be a good idea Gwenna! Much less invasive and it would be nice if one could just pick it up from the vet pharmacy.

Another thing I'd like to see is doggy birth control. I can't imagine how difficult it must be for breeders with multiple dogs to keep intact males away from their in heat bitches! It would also be nice to not have to worry about a bitch going in heat if you were taking her to be in a show or something. I can't imagine that this would be that difficult to make
      Nicole with Manny (6 yrs old), Dazzle (3 yrs old), Rogue (1 yr old) & Vogue (1 yr old)
      ***Rest in Peace Tassy, Napoleon, Taylor, Danety, Stripey & Luther ~ We'll always love you!***

Comment

There might actually be something like that available. In Norway it is common to give your cat's birth control pills (once a month.)

Yasmeen, Magic & Lucas
        Zephyr ~ forever in my heart.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven then when I die I want to go where they went." ...unknown

Yasmeen

sigpic

Comment

In Denmark too. My parents give their cat a birth control pill, orally, once a week.
          You would think they'd have those for dogs too.

Comment

I've once heard of some talk about when showing a dog that is going to go into heat, they give them Birth Control Pills. It stops the cycle just like a human female.

Traci

Comment

When showing or eventing your dog the substance they give is Checkdrops, this stops the uterus from 'doing it's thing'. If your do a search on Dr. Hutchinson he talks about it often.

Comment

>FWIW, I don't believe there are "accidental breedings", just
                >irresponsible owners.

I'd go one step further and say that it is a subconscious planned breeding. I know one "breeder" who has based an entire breeding program on accidental breedings. I know another who when she finds yet another litter substandard, claims that "Oh, well, it was an accident".
                Wonder how I've managed to never have had an "oooops" after all these years...Jo

Jo
                Hof Kurz Great Danes
                Ch. Tor RN, CHIC, Ch. Reva CHIC, Can. Ch. J'aime TDI
                Fawns and Brindles Since 1975
                http://www.flickr.com/photos/11304225@N05

Comment

I don't see how such a thing could be feasible for dogs, their reproduction is so different from humans. They have multiple offspring and separate uterine horns, their cycles are different, their period of gestation is different. I'm not sure how long after a breeding conception takes place, but you would have to get the dog to the vet in this window for a "morning after" pill to take effect. That could be problematic.

Accidental breedings do happen, even to responsible owners. We took in a dog, Dancer, off the streets. My parents are very responsible owners, she went to the vet right away, who told them she was already spayed. We were on vacation and the dog accidentally got out without my dad realizing it, and my sweet little American Eskimo mix was propositioned by this ugly terrier mix named Frodo across the street. That easily, "accidental breeding." She went to the vet for a spay that week, that was the end of that. She is now a healthy and active sixteen years.

Also my aunt had an accidental breeding between two of her dobes. At the time I don't recall how many dobes they had, Right now they have 9. Anyway all the dogs slept in their bedroom in crates, and they were rotated from house time to outside time in set groups. The males could not go together. A female went into heat unexpectedly, and was bred by one of their males. It was the only time such a thing ever happened and they've been breeding fifteen years now. I would not consider them irresponsible in the slightest, they have a great breeding program, their most recent litter (which was more than a year ago, after two years without a litter) produced a beautiful bitch who is now finished and took her first major (5 points) from the 6-9 class. They care a lot about the welfare of their dogs, more than anyone I know really. Every single dog comes with them everywhere, from the young pups to the old fourteen-year-old male.

So I must disagree with your statement that accidental breedings only happen to irresponsible owners. Humans sometimes make mistakes, that is much different than a deliberate action being blamed on a mistake.
                  Leilia
                  Genesis, black female Dane 2001~2011

Comment

There is a shot the vet can give, and there are also many natural things like herbs that have a high instance of causing abortion. I would assume the shot given is formulated specifically for dogs, not humans. Not sure why them having a different system than humans would preclude there being substances that would make them abort.

Comment

There is a drug you can give your bitch to prevent her from going into season. So in a sense this is "doggy birth control". However you have to watch the length of time u keep a bitch on this drug because it will make ur bitch go sterile if on it to long. This is what happened to that great GSD Mystique...went sterile from it because her owner kept her on too long.

Comment

Ive seen some very good breeders have accidental breedings. Ive had an accidental breeding and went and got the "abortion shot" you guys are talking about. So yes, i agree some people have "accidental" breedings on purpose, but lets not say theres no such thing as an accident. Ive heard from a friend of how a male actually took out a whole soldid wood door to get at a bitch...destroyed his crate, the door and the bitch's crate...this male was a return from a buyer who decided they could not keep him after 4 years, no health testing, was about to be neutered and rehomed. The female a 18 month old show bitch. Yes this WAS an accident. Accidents do happen.

Comment

Working...
                        X