Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2nd Ultrasound Results

<--- MERLIN -- http://www.angelfire.com/blues/greatdanes

Since Im friends with my vet she told me she thought it would be really neat to ultra sound China again. So we did it today on day 48. China has gained 12lbs during this pregnancy and doesnt look HUGE by any means. The first ultrasound was to detect if she was pregnant or not. This ultrasound was more for "fun" to see if we could detect or estimate how many babies were in there. The first ultrasound she saw 3 pups. Today she only saw 2 pups. She said there is a GREAT possibility that there are several more tucked up high in her chest. I know that these ultrasounds arent particularly accurate, so Im not too disapointed(as long as they are healthy). I would like to hear some experiences with the numbers you got at the vet, and the actual number of puppies at birth. By the way this bitch has had 6 puppies twice before and the ultrasound was performed standing as to cause no stress to her. Any stories or help would be wonderful.

THANKS
    CINDY N MERLIN

RE: 2nd Ultrasound Results

Really Cindy, it depends on the experience of your vet and how good they can "read" the ultrasound. I had one done 4 weeks ago, by a (human) radiologists at the (human) hospital (nice to have friends in the right places<VBG>). The doctor saw 5 pups, his assistant saw 6, the bitch whelped last Sunday (5days ago) and had 6 pups. I am taking another bitch tomorrow to him, so hopefully he will do as good a job "counting hearts" this time around too. That information is imperative come delivery time......nice to know for sure when she's done delivering.
    Carolyn
    Divine Acres Great Danes
    Carolyn
    Divine Acres Great Danes
    Divine Acres The Legend "Bruce" 5 1/2 months old..5th generation of DA Danes!
    sigpic

Comment

Cindy,
      The last ultrasound I had done, the vet saw three for sure and he wouldn't commit to more. I thought I saw more "shadows". She had seven puppies. I've heard this going lots of ways. One friend had an ultrasound that showed one and that is what she got--one. I've had another friend that had three show up and there were nine in there. Yet another friend had an ultrasound done that showed nine and that is what there were. As Carolyn says, a lot depends on the expertise of the technician...Jo
      Jo
      Hof Kurz Great Danes
      Ch. Tor RN, CHIC, Ch. Reva CHIC, Can. Ch. J'aime TDI
      Fawns and Brindles Since 1975
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/11304225@N05

Comment

But too, considering this is this bitches third pregnancy, since she is already 48 days gestation, if she had 6 or more pups in there, she would be showing....alot...not a "barely" noticable pregnancy. Also goes along with the pregnancy (2nd)test results you got early that read a negative?? because she only has a couple pups?? that would be my thoughts...........
        Carolyn
        Divine Acres Great Danes
        Carolyn
        Divine Acres Great Danes
        Divine Acres The Legend "Bruce" 5 1/2 months old..5th generation of DA Danes!
        sigpic

Comment

Thats what Im thinking too. If there are only a couple of pups, thats why only a couple of pups showed on the ultrasound and why the hormone level was low enough to give a false reading. Although its in the back of my mind that its "possible" she could have more hidden away...Im being realistic because all the clues are only pointing to a small litter. I guess we will know very shortly to the real number of little angels in the womb. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks

Cindy N Merlin

Comment

Just for comparison, with my last litter, my girl had gained 25 pounds by day 56. She had seven puppies. But each is different...Jo
            Jo
            Hof Kurz Great Danes
            Ch. Tor RN, CHIC, Ch. Reva CHIC, Can. Ch. J'aime TDI
            Fawns and Brindles Since 1975
            http://www.flickr.com/photos/11304225@N05

Comment

You know what you should do? You should write a whelping story and post it on your website when the puppies come. LOL, maybe it's just me, but I LOVE whelping stories. I actually video-taped two whelpings; one was my friend's mix Lassie and the other was a Labrador, Godiva. Whenever anyone says they want to breed their dog "to see them give birth" I just pull out the Labrador tape. Godiva had no shame; she delivered her puppies in the living room, legs spred wide, right in the middle of "Buffy the Vampire Slayer." The video is hilarious! When the second puppy starts coming out, the dialogue goes something like this-- "Oh oh, she's having another puppy! Oh look, there it is, I think it's a black one! (It was yellow) Oh, it's so--" (dead silence as she chews through the chord, dragging the puppy along, and gobbles up the placenta in one mighty slurp) "Ewwww!"

But anyway, when I visit breeder webpages for other breeds, I see a lot of whelping stories, but no great dane ones so far. So that would be interesting, I think.

Comment

Well Tomorrow is day 50!! Im really excited, but any number of pups will be welcomed (not like I have a choice As long as Mom and babies are ok, I'll be more than happy. Well not too long to go. I have a poll on my webpage for the public to post there guess as to how many fur-angels are in her belly Thanks

CINDY N MERLIN

Comment

Working...
                X