bloat study progress

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bloat study progress

I saw this link on a great dane rescue's fb page today and thought I'd share. Its worth a read, very interesting, and a very exciting update on the bloat study.
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7p...Zms/view?pli=1
    ~Kelsey, mom to~
    Kumah-merle Great Dane 4 years
    Nala-fawn Great Dane 2 months
    Cece- Calico 4 years
    Sammy- Black Domestic Long Hair 3 years
    Tyke- 4 months

Interesting. Once a fellow swiss mountain dog owner told me that pretty much all the dogs in her pups litter bloated and her dog bloated multiple times and the only thing that saved him was the pexy. She did all sorts of things (raising dish, lowering dish, raw feeding, more frequent meals, etc) and the pup just kept bloating. I think knowing about bloat cases in the lines is so important when talking to breeders.
    sigpic

Comment

I would pay good money to see the actual data. Maybe if I email them they will send some to me. xD Can't hurt.

I find it very interesting that they seem to feel bloat is an immune condition and not a physiological condition. I always felt in my mind that stress created gas/indigestion in the stomach and then if the dog also happens to have a deep enough chest for the stomach to flip, then it would. Obviously there's not research to corroborate this, its just always how I felt in my mind about bloat. So it's really interesting to see reseach going to a completely different direction (into genes that control the immune system). I'm also very glad that they are finding concrete evidence for a genetic link to bloat. I feel strongly that most things are all linked to genetics, we just have to find the right gene. This gives hope that eventually the predisposition to bloat could be bred out.

I love science =)
      sigpic

Comment

Perhaps the two are related. Other breeds could carry the bloat "gene" but the physiological conditions don't support the actual conditions that are required for the bloat and torsion to happen. You need the gene AND the deep chest for flipping room.
        Tracy
        sigpic
        Mouse April 2010
        Echo -- run free, Sweetie! Jan 9, 2007 - April 24, 2014 Lost to osteosarcoma at 7 years, 3 months. RIP.

Comment

Originally posted by mnmouse View Post
          Perhaps the two are related. Other breeds could carry the bloat "gene" but the physiological conditions don't support the actual conditions that are required for the bloat and torsion to happen. You need the gene AND the deep chest for flipping room.
          And some kind of trigger too, since not all dogs with these gene combos bloat. I wonder if they will do anything with Akitas? That's a breed with really limited heterogeneity of the MHCs.
          sigpic
          Chaucey
          Asaah ~ xxx Asaah LaLa, CGC, registered therapy dog

Comment

This is really exciting!!! If they can establish a genetic predisposition and breed it out...Wow! Not that we all won't continue to be vigilant in our feeding habits, but at least we won't beat ourselves up, God forbid, a Dane bloats and we blame ourselves for years constantly second guessing everything we do. Best news today.
            Shawn Riedel

sigpic
            Sophie - 6yr old American Black
            Taggart - 2yr old European Blue
            Winston - God wanted him back at 5.
            Spencer, Buddy, Missy - our cat brood.

Comment

Very intereting stuff- thanks for posting-
              Warren Briggs, DVM
              www.ocvh.com
              www.youtube.com/ocvhdocs

Comment

Agree with about all the posts - genetic predisposition being a big part. I also am thinking age may have some influence on bloat. Just like people, dog's immune systems age and are not quite as robust as they once were. So this makes me think maybe the risk of bloat can increase with age and more so if it's in the genes. Just sayin'

Comment

More updates

Saw this today, looks like more progress has been made on this study. Sounds like soon we'll be able to cure/combat the effects of the bloat risk gene.

https://greatdanegnosis.wordpress.co...-breakthrough/
                  ~Kelsey, mom to~
                  Kumah-merle Great Dane 4 years
                  Nala-fawn Great Dane 2 months
                  Cece- Calico 4 years
                  Sammy- Black Domestic Long Hair 3 years
                  Tyke- 4 months

Comment

Very interesting stuff! Cool how they are going to make this test available for breeders and owners, to see if the pexy should or should not be done, or if the Dane should be bred.
                    sigpic
                    Willow and Liv

Comment

Working...
                    X