No announcement yet.

When should I start looking for bloat?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I saw a study which compared raw and kibble digestion. They used dye to follow food given through the digestive system. Raw was digested much more slowly than kibble. It makes sense if you think about it. Kibble is so processed there's not as much for their bodies to do to break it down. Protein, fat, bone takes more time to break down.
    Julie
    Duds and Miles 5- and 6-year-old fawns, Smudge (terrier mix); Bobke, Fig, Olive, Albert (cats); Einstein (African Grey), Rocky (Amazon Parrot).
    RIP Willow 12/95 - 04/04, Maia 03/05 - 10/11, Maverick 11/07-10/14, Spencer 05/06-12/14
    Upper Midwest Great Dane Rescue Volunteer www.thegreatdanerescue.com
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Danewillow View Post
      I saw a study which compared raw and kibble digestion. They used dye to follow food given through the digestive system. Raw was digested much more slowly than kibble. It makes sense if you think about it. Kibble is so processed there's not as much for their bodies to do to break it down. Protein, fat, bone takes more time to break down.
      Do you remember where you saw that study? Sounds interesting since that hasn't been my experience, but it would totally make sense as bone pieces and muscle pieces would take a longer to break down vs. the basically powder of kibble. If you don't know where you saw it off-hand, don't worry about it. I don't want it to be a research project.
      Shawn Riedel

sigpic
      Sophie - 6yr old American Black
      Taggart - 2yr old European Blue
      Winston - God wanted him back at 5.
      Spencer, Buddy, Missy - our cat brood.

Comment

I'll see if I can find it. I don't know how any could measure that without the technology they had for the study.
        Julie
        Duds and Miles 5- and 6-year-old fawns, Smudge (terrier mix); Bobke, Fig, Olive, Albert (cats); Einstein (African Grey), Rocky (Amazon Parrot).
        RIP Willow 12/95 - 04/04, Maia 03/05 - 10/11, Maverick 11/07-10/14, Spencer 05/06-12/14
        sigpic

Comment

http://therawfeedingcommunity.com/20...ster-than-raw/
          Julie
          sigpic

Comment

This one is a case study I believe. Really interesting. Wish someone would do an actual study. I will when I win the lottery
            sigpic
            Chaucey
            Asaah ~ xxx Asaah LaLa, CGC, registered therapy dog

Comment

This is AWESOME! Thanks for digging it up. It's kind of the Mythbusters version, and you're right real study would be great, but for now this is great info.
              Shawn Riedel

sigpic
              Sophie - 6yr old American Black
              Taggart - 2yr old European Blue
              Winston - God wanted him back at 5.
              Spencer, Buddy, Missy - our cat brood.

Comment

Thank you!

WOW, thank you all so much for your replies! I'm definitely trying to gather all the information I can on bloat/GDV, and all your input is very much appreciated!!

Comment

Working...
                X