Post Bloat Survival Rate

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Post Bloat Survival Rate

On Saturday afternoon our 1.5 year old, Arlo, experienced bloat. We had him Pexied at 1 year when we had him neutered. The surgeon said
    The pexy saved his life and she also adjusted it slightly to fit his shape better. I am overjoyed that he survived but it was such a terrifying and awful experience for all of us. I'm still crying about it, actually, even though he seems ok. Every gurgle, burp, or whine from him has me on edge and I'm trying to destress since he is such a sweet sensitive guy and I don't want him to pick up on it.
    I know he is younger than most that experience bloat and That it's much more likely to happen again to a dog that has experienced it once, so I'm trying to come to terms with a few things. I would love to hear if any of your Danes that experienced bloat- if they were able to live long and healthy lives after the first occurance.

I personally have no input BUT I am so happy that your baby is okay! It must have been terrifying I can only imagine. Hoping you and your fur baby are doing well❤️
    sigpic 6/20/14 Parros

Comment

One of our girls bloated and torsioned at age 3 1/2. She successfully came through the emergency surgery and gastropexy.

We have not experienced a second incident, and she is doing well now, having turned 8 in January of this year.

We count our blessings everyday!

Danefully,

Dru

Comment

Originally posted by Katieoog View Post
        On Saturday afternoon our 1.5 year old, Arlo, experienced bloat. We had him Pexied at 1 year when we had him neutered. The surgeon said
        The pexy saved his life and she also adjusted it slightly to fit his shape better.
        That's scary! Do you recall what kind of gastropexy was performed? Laparoscopic? Incisional? Belt-loop? Was the adjustment of the pexy another surgery?
        Warren Briggs, DVM
        www.ocvh.com
        www.youtube.com/ocvhdocs

Comment

4 years post bloat

My girl is 11 years old and survived bloat surgery 4 years ago. She lost her spleen but after a lot of love and care, she recovered like a champ. I would say she is still going strong, but at 11, she has recently started to decline.

To keep her from vomiting, I soak her kibble and portion her daily food to 3 meals per day.

Comment

2 Survivors

My girl bloated and torsioned at midnight on a Saturday. She was 7 and lived to be 11.5. Never bloated again.

My boy bloated last year. No torsion. We caught it very early. He's now going on 11.

Comment

Our boy Duke bloated and torsioned at 9 1/2 years old. He survived surgery and suffered no organ or tissue damage thankfully. He is now almost 11 years old and doing great minus weak hips.

Comment

Working...
              X