Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much Gas X do you give a dog when you think he or she is bloating?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much Gas X do you give a dog when you think he or she is bloating?

And, are they pills or liquid....I need to get some to keep on hand and have no idea what kind to get or how much to give.

Thanks!
    My name is Mike.....though the name implies otherwise, I AM a woman!sigpic
    Riley, 6 year old Shih Tzu
    Candy, 5 year old Shih Tzu
    Reecie, 5 year old Shih Tzu
    Oscar, 1 year old pot-bellied pig
    Zena, Great Dane, DOB 5-1-13

It's been a while so I would love to know also...
    -Lisa (Zoomer's mom)

Comment

I give Phazyme softgel caps. Brand doesn't matter as much as long as it is a simethicone product. I just happen to like Phazyme more than Gas-X. Doesn't really matter, both contain 180mg of Simethicone. I like the caps that I could puncture and squeeze into the mouth if necessary. I keep meaning to look into the Gas-X thin strips that melt in the mouth. That would be very handy, I would think. I haven't even looked at the ingredient list yet, so don't take the strips as a recommendation.

Dosage would be different based on the product and strength. For an adult dane, you are safe giving the human adult dosage of Gas-X. For products like Gas-X and Phazyme with 180mg of simethicone, that is 2 gel caps. My vet said in an emergency, I can give up to 4 and be on the way to the vet.

Next time you are at the vet, bring it up and ask the vet what their suggested protocol is for you and how much to give. I have two boxes at home and I even carry extra pills in my purse in case we are out. Just make sure you label at least one box for non-use by household members. That way, you are never out in case of emergency.

Just as a side note, Phineas has had 3 instances in the past 9 months that were alarming in relation to a bloating issue. I can tell you that NEITHER Phazyme or Gas-x were quick acting or relieving of the symptoms he was experiencing. I am pretty sure I've narrowed down the exact food that caused the problem though. I am just grateful for his gastropexy and hopefully we will avoid the problem in the future. Just don't think the meds are a quick fix, they aren't. Give the meds.. get to the vet.
      Last edited by Angel7292; 07-24-2014, 07:05 AM.
      sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the reply, Angel.....I will definitely bring it up at my next vet visit....have never thought of asking....have been reading up on bloat again these past couple of weeks and couldn't find a dosage.

I appreciate it!
        My name is Mike.....though the name implies otherwise, I AM a woman!sigpic
        Riley, 6 year old Shih Tzu
        Candy, 5 year old Shih Tzu
        Reecie, 5 year old Shih Tzu
        Oscar, 1 year old pot-bellied pig
        Zena, Great Dane, DOB 5-1-13

Comment

Working...
        X