Waiting for jasper to get out of surgery

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Waiting for jasper to get out of surgery

It's three am. I have been here since 11pm. Last weekend jasper (7 years old) started throwing up a few times a day and so first thing Monday I took him to the vet. He didn't get better and I was questioning the vet's diagnosis of a possible stretched esophagus and took him in on wed morn to a second vet. They concluded it was a stomach ulcer and held him until Friday to monitor and get fluids in him. Everything was fine until 10pm tonight, he threw up, and then started dry heaving. I let him outside to walk around since I figured this was from his ulcer. He quickly got worse and stopped responding to my commands. He wanted lots of water and I assumed it was because he has been feeling poopy and not getting up to get water as much as he normally would. What threw me off was he was holding his tail up and looked kind of tense, even the hair on his back was standing up. In less than an hour from his first puke, we were at the E vet and diagnosed with a flipped stomach. Here's the torturous part: this is the only E Vet in the area and only has one vet on duty. She had a puppy stuck in the birth canal that she was working on so it has been 4 hours since he came in and they are just now taking him into surgery. I keep reading online that the sooner you get them in the better, but how much time is considered soon and how much time is considered Grim?
    **update for reference**

- gender? MALE
    - age?7 YEARS, 10 MONTHS
    - color? FAWN
    - known medical issues? HIP, ARTHRITIS, WAS CURRENTLY DEALING WITH STOMACH ULCER
    - usual temperament (stressed, calm)?USUALLY CALM BUT WAS PROBABLY STRESSED DUE TO STOMACH ULCER
    - deep chest? NO, BUT WIDE
    - type of food – raw or kibble (brand name)?USUALLY KIRKLAND NATURE'S CORNER SWEET POTATO, BUT WAS ON PRESCRIPTION SCIENCE DIET I/D (LOW FAT, EASY DIGESTION FOR GASTRIC INTESTINAL TRACK) FOR ABOUT A WEEK PRIOR
    - human food allowed? NO
    - recent diet change?YES, ONE WEEK PRIOR
    - feedings per day (one, two, three)? WAS ORIGINALLY 2 TIMES A DAY, CHANGED TO 1 CUP PER FEEDING SEVERAL TIMES A DAY
    - feeding(s) at what time(s) of the day? ORIGINALLY 7:30AM & 5:00PM, CHANGED TO EVERY ONE TO TWO HOURS
    - fast or slow eater?[COLOR="Blue"] [EXTREMELY FAST/COLOR]
    - ground or raised feeder? FOOD RAISED, WATER GROUND
    - free access to water? YES
    - allowed to exercise/play right after meals? ALLOWED, BUT TOO LAZY TO DO IT
    - if known, did sire/dam/littermates encounter this issue? ADOPTED SO UNKNOWN
    - gastropexy - before/after the incident? AFTER
    - oncoming warning signs, if any? EXTREME THIRST, HELD TAIL UP, HEAD DOWN LOW, WANTED TO STAND OUTSIDE(UNUSUAL FOR HIM), DRY HEAVING SEVERAL TIMES, TENSE, STOOD STIFF & STILL, UNRESPONSIVE TO VERBAL COMMANDS, EARS BACK
    - how long after a meal did the incident occur? 4 HOURS
    - time of incident?STARTED AT 10:01 PM
    - sequence of events? PUKED FOOD AT 10:01 PM, DRY HEAVING IMMEDIATELY FOLLOWED SPACED 1 - 7 MINUTES APART
    - vet involvement? ARRIVED AT VET AT 10:55 PM, X-RAYS, BLOAT TUBE UNSUCCESSFUL, STOMACH PIERCED TO RELEASE PRESSURE AND THEN GASTROPEXY SURGERY AT 3:15AM, MONITORED FOR ABOUT 36 HOURS AFTER SURGERY, RELEASED FOR MONITORING AT HOME
    - outcome? SURGERY SUCCESSFUL, RECOVERY PENDING
    - further comments? THOUGH SOME SYMPTOMS WERE SIMILAR TO THE STOMACH ULCER, JASPER SHOWED SIGNS THAT LOOKED LIKE HE WAS FEELING FEAR OR INTENSE PAIN AFTER ABOUT 30 MINUTES RATHER THAN JUST BEING UNCOMFORTABLE AND TIRED AS WITH OTHER STOMACH CONDITIONS. SYMPTOMS ESCALATED VERY QUICKLY.
    Last edited by Me4sweetd; 12-04-2013, 06:28 AM.

Sending tons of good thoughts for you and jasper. Keep us updated.
    sigpicKelly

Comment

oh no..
      sending prayers.
      sigpic

Comment

having just been through this with my girl I know how scary it is! my thoughts and prayers are with you.
        ~*Hailey*~
        sigpic
        Sway 4/21/10 - 11/26/13
        "Our hearts still ache in sadness, And secret tears still flow, What it meant to lose you, No one will ever know."

Comment

Poor Jasper and poor you. I hope Jasper comes out alright. You are in my thoughts today.

Comment

I hope everything is going alright. There is no way to tell how long is to long, many different factors there. Maybe it was only partially flipped, maybe it wasn't flipped and he was just bloating? Healing thoughts sent your way and hope for the best outcome for you and him. I'm sorry you are going through this. *hugs*
            ~ Lisa & Rupert

Comment

He finally got out of surgery at 5am. She said the stomach looked healthy, no dead spots though it did flip 180. I was so exhausted, I completely forgot to update this. I got a couple hours of sleep and picked him up for transfer to regular vet at 7:30am. He was really out of it. Took 3 people help him try and walk to the vet's front door but he gave up half way, simply too out of it. The surgeon may have strained his hind leg during surgery because the vet tech told me as of 4:30pm, he still didn't want to stand correctly. Just waiting out the chance of clots now.

Comment

Sounds like things went well. Thank you for the update. Try to get some rest; you must be physically and emotionally exhausted. Ongoing healing thoughts for jasper!
                sigpicKelly

Comment

A good enough update for now, and yes, get some rest. I'll be praying for a swift and certain recovery for your guy.
                  ~ Lisa & Rupert

Comment

Vet called me at 11am and said he was rebounding very quickly today and to call back in the afternoon to see of they wanted to discharge him. He was up and mobile so they released him at 5pm. He bows out one of his hind legs when he walks and has had his ears back since I picked him up. They didn't prescribe any pain meds so he might just be feeling it. If you can tell by the time I'm posting this, my sleep cycle is completely messed up for now, but it's worth it knowing he's recouping well.

Comment

so glad to see this post! been looking for an update on Jasper..
                      hope all goes well from here on out!
                      sigpic

Comment

just now seeing this and so glad jasper is home with you and doing well!!!

if he seems to be in pain, it wouldn't hurt to call your vet and ask for some pain meds. when pea had her acl surgery, she was on a pretty big dose of tramadol for a few days.

(((hugs))) hope you are getting some well deserved sleep!
                        [SIGPIC]

Comment

Been studying my butt off for finals week and had a few minutes to spare before heading into one of my tests. Jasper went back to the vet on wed the 4th because the vet thought he might be bloating again due to the symptoms I described to him. He was excessively drooling and seemed lethargic. They concluded he had just a little gas from his stomach trying to adjust to eating food again and was not bloating. They prescribed pain meds and a couple other meds to help his upset stomach. But since then he has recouped with leaps and bounds. He is walking normal and acting almost like his old self again. Since his surgery, he has become much more needy when it comes to petting and being near me while I'm home. I think he just knows if he needs anything, I'll be there for him and make him feel better. Lol.

Comment

So glad he's doing well!!
                            sigpic
                            Crystal
                            Owned by:
                            Dexter 8 year old GD, CGC
                            CH xxx's Top Gear AKA Studebaker (Baker) 4 years
                            Bagel 19 yr old Maine Coon
                            Lox 11 yr old Russian Blue mix

Comment

Wonderful update! Glad he's better.
                              ~ Lisa & Rupert