Raised feeder or not?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raised feeder or not?

Just wanted to get everyone's opinion... Do you recommend a raised feeder or not?

We had a bloat scare on Saturday evening, Bruce was trying to vomit with no luck, started drooling heavily and looked horribly uncomfortable. Luckily after our race to the vet and lots of $$$ later it turned out to be pneumonia and not bloat (thank goodness!!!). While we were there the vet mentioned we should not be using a raised feeder.... Thoughts anyone? We keep hearing different opinions on both but none are from dane owners so we would love to get some feedback!

Thanks!!
    Bruce - 8 month fawn Great Dane - 132lbs/34.5"
    http://www.dolforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=70281
    Shelby - 4.5 year old German Shepherd
    Sarge - 3 year old Rotty/Boxer mix
    Kinky - 1.5 year Siamese cat
    Daisy - 1 year old Sphynx cat

Originally posted by Bruce57 View Post
    Just wanted to get everyone's opinion... Do you recommend a raised feeder or not?

We had a bloat scare on Saturday evening, Bruce was trying to vomit with no luck, started drooling heavily and looked horribly uncomfortable. Luckily after our race to the vet and lots of $$$ later it turned out to be pneumonia and not bloat (thank goodness!!!). While we were there the vet mentioned we should not be using a raised feeder.... Thoughts anyone? We keep hearing different opinions on both but none are from dane owners so we would love to get some feedback!

Thanks!!
    You're going to get more split results here from Dane owners. You're going to hear good and bad.

Personally in this house my two are fed and watered on raised feeders. I personally believe it's the keeping the dog quiet about half an hour before a meal and an hour after meal that has a bigger impact.
    sigpic
    Nitro- Female Mastiff x Dane - July 3, 2010 - July 27, 2013 (RIP Sweet Girl)
    Moose - Male Great Dane - June 3, 2011
    Rush - Male Great Dane - April 8th, 2015 (MBPIS MBPIG Can. GCH Group Placing Paquestone's Intense Rush)

Comment

If you use the search tool there are lots and lots of thread on this. As mentioned by previous poster, there is a huge split here. Personally we are in camp no raised feeders. Jazz bloated at a very early age and her her vet is very adamant about no raised feeders.
      sigpic
      Emily
      Jazz - GD rescued at 5 months (september 27th, 2009)
      Blues - GD rescued at ? grew through 2012 (July 29, 2011)
      Preston - 8 y/o "grumpy old man" yorkie mix

bluesfightscancer.com

Comment

We are very good at keeping Bruce calm before and after he eats. He stays crated just to make sure. Luckily he is a very calm and easy going boy anyway. We were just thrown off by the vets comment, felt more like she was scolding us for using one!

Comment

Go to the vet down the road. They will tell you to use a raised feeder.

Lol.. seriously... that's how it is. I highly doubt you're going to find anything definitive here either
          sigpic
          Nitro- Female Mastiff x Dane - July 3, 2010 - July 27, 2013 (RIP Sweet Girl)
          Moose - Male Great Dane - June 3, 2011
          Rush - Male Great Dane - April 8th, 2015 (MBPIS MBPIG Can. GCH Group Placing Paquestone's Intense Rush)

Comment

I think there are MANY variables that contribute to the chances of bloat. You can keep a dog still for hours before and after eating and they can still bloat. It may not be just one thing and instead a combonation of different things.

A raised feeder has been indicated as a contributing factor to bloat. For us, we try to eliminate as many of them as possible. We feed on the floor for this reason.
            sigpic

Comment

We don't use one just because it's so up the air I don't know what to do. If I ever do get one it won't be very high just high enough so that he isn't hurting his back or shoulders trying to reach the ground.
              We went for a walk the other day and I got an earful from some old man on the importance of one and if I don't hurry up and get one its gonna cost me a whole lot of money.
              Oh and how long dog you make your dogs be still after and before a meal. I always stick Bruno outside after he is done eating so he can go to the bathroom OOPS!
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Jodie017 View Post
                We don't use one just because it's so up the air I don't know what to do. If I ever do get one it won't be very high just high enough so that he isn't hurting his back or shoulders trying to reach the ground.
                We went for a walk the other day and I got an earful from some old man on the importance of one and if I don't hurry up and get one its gonna cost me a whole lot of money.
                Oh and how long dog you make your dogs be still after and before a meal. I always stick Bruno outside after he is done eating so he can go to the bathroom OOPS!
                LOL.. It's not about keeping them perfectly still or not walking. Just a calm, quiet, no play time, running or excercise. If Bruno goes out to do his business and isn't zooming or running around, pooping is on the ok list.

For us, we use to crate an hour before and an hour after. We don't crate anymore. I always make a habit out of going and watching TV before Phineas eats and he will follow me anywhere. So we watch TV or even sometimes go and play on the computer. It's his quiet time. I fed our dogs before we even cook dinner. It makes it easier on me. So after he eats, I start to cook and he lays on the kitchen floor. It's not about keeping them motionless... it's just quiet digesting time. Know what I mean?

People will tell you all the time what to do or not to do with your dog. Pfftt.. Whatever. If you do or don't feed from a raised bowl, that is your decision. I often just ignore those people with a smile and a nod.

I can only speak for myself when I say that we try to avoid all contributing factors to bloat and one of them has been shown to be a raised bowl. If it is true or not, I dunno. IMO, it doesn't hurt a dog to eat from a bowl on the floor. I know I've heard lots of arguments about bending down, neck, back and such. It has been our thinking that the food in the bowl lasts mere minutes, not hours. He doesn't spend the whole time bending over. He eats, looks up, eats, looks up, etc. Plus, if you are worried about your dane getting eating off the floor, then wouldn't the same problem exist with the toys on the floor? Sniffing the ground as they walk? Lastly, there is a lot of discussion about feeding a dog naturally with a raw diet, for example, but in the wild there are no raised feeders! Like I said... this is OUR thoughts for OUR dog. You just need to educate yourself and make an informed decision for YOUR dog. What you do is your business.
                Last edited by Angel7292; 05-08-2012, 04:48 AM. Reason: TYPOOOOOS!
                sigpic

Comment

that makes sense. I think I will just leave it be.... As nature intended thank you!
                  sigpic

Comment

Danes have been bloating for quite a while now. Some time ago someone thought that it would help to raise their dishes. Danes still bloated. So now we aren't to raise their dishes anymore. I'm gonna assume danes are still gonna bloat. Isis was let out to potty, let back in, fed, laid around the house for 1/2 hour or so and then put in their room so I could go to work. No activity at all that morning and we came home to an almost dead dog, who later did die of bloat/torsion. Yes we fed her on a raised surface, but we did and still do feed Venus raised and she will be 10 in September w/o any bloat issues. I think if your dane is gonna bloat, it is gonna bloat and really the only thing you can truly do to help is get a gastropexy.
                    Michele
                    Mom to: Angel huskyx (3/15/2001), Lestat labx (12/1/2001), Mystra beaglex (04/01/2005), Merlin airedale (08/01/2012)
                    RIP my loves:
                    Isis (dane) (7/1/2005-11/5/2011), Venus (dane) (9/1/02-06/24/13)

Comment

Last edited by DaisysMomma; 04-03-2013, 10:52 PM.

Comment

I think what could be happening is that giant breeds are more often fed using a raised feeder, and giant breeds are also more likely to bloat. So when they gather details about dogs that have bloated, it seems to indicate that a raised feeder is a contributing factor.

The better way to analyze this phenomenon would be to have two groups of dogs who are basically the same in every way, except one group uses raised feeders and one group feeds on the floor. It's difficult because dogs are so different, it would be hard to get large enough samples.

Sorry, I'm an actuary and we LOVE data analysis...
                        Last edited by jrturk; 05-11-2012, 07:24 AM. Reason: can't spell

Comment

Originally posted by jrturk View Post
                          I think what could be happening is that giant breeds are more often fed using a raised feeder, and giant breeds are also more likely to bloat. So when they gather details about dogs that have bloated, it seems to indicate that a raised feeder is a contributing factor.

The better way to analyze this phenomenon would be to have two groups of dogs who are basically the same in every way, except one group uses raised feeders and one group feeds on the floor. It's difficult because dogs are so different, it would be hard to get large enough samples.

Sorry, I'm an actuary and we LOVE data analysis...
                          This has always been a sticking point for me also on the debate of raised/non raised feeders. I don't know that the feeding position has much to do with it. I tend more towards genetics, and general disposition of the dog, and stressers pre-bloat.

That said, we do use raised feeders. Our danes just seem more comfortable eating that way (go figure... spoiling a dane lol). With our Clyde, we raised his feeder later in life, as bending over or sitting to eat was difficult for him due to his hips, and we didn't want him to eat lying down.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DaisysMomma View Post
                            I did so much research on whether or not to get a raised feeder. Half of what I read said raised feeders helped to prevent bloat. The other half said it helped cause it.

We ended up getting Daisy a raised feeder... and a gastropexy too.
                            This is what I did with Harley, well will do, since she will be getting her gastropexy when I get home. Once we start RAW I'll see if she is more comfortable eating on the floor, but she would rather eat out of a raised bowl, so I let her.
                            sigpic

Mom to Harley *Great Dane* Sadie *GS/Boxer* Sneakers *Bengal Cat* Lil Bit *Munchkin Cat* Boozer *Devil Cat* and Squishy *Hedgehog*RIP

Comment

Thank you for the comments, you all are right, its a tight split on the topic. I've heard that wolves sometimes eat laying down... does this mean anything... yea im lost lol. I really appreciate the information, Im going to probably stick with the raised feeder for now, but maybe I'll lower it a bit to be in the middle of the issue.

Thanks again!

Comment

Working...
                              X