Pexy questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pexy questions

I am highly considering having a pexi done on my girl when she gets spayed...A bit off topic already here, but I hear some people say to spay at 6 months and others say 1 year or after their first heat, any suggestions?

If the pexy is done does this remove the need for any surgery when bloating, or is a surgery still needed??? I know that it only stops the torsion, however, does this mean that they can just treat with meds or is it still really invasive???

I am still really new here, but thanks for all the help! This forum has been extremely helpful already!

What does your vet recommend regarding your pup's age? I see no reason to wait until 1 year, and definately no need to wait for 1st heat! My girl bloated at 12 months, so I will never wait that long again

The pexi buys you time to get to a vet for emergency treatment. It will hopefully prevent torsion (nothing is guaranteed there) If they do torsion then yes surgery is needed. Jazz has had multiple episodes of bloat after her pexi and they were able to treat her medically with each one. I'd go ahead with the pexi during spay, it's worth it's weight in gold!!!

Hope that helps!
    Em
    sigpic
    Emily
    Jazz - GD rescued at 5 months (september 27th, 2009)
    Blues - GD rescued at ? grew through 2012 (July 29, 2011)
    Preston - 8 y/o "grumpy old man" yorkie mix

bluesfightscancer.com

Comment

I would spay and plexi at 8-9 months. No reason what's so ever to wait till she has had a heat cycle all that does is increase her cancer risk.
      8-9 months is when the growth slows way down and is a good time for both.
      Probably not the best idea to plexi younger than 8 months.

Comment

You are going to get a million and one different answers to your questions. I spayed my dane before I even knew there was a certain age to do it. Harley got spayed at four months. Some say this can lead to incontinence, haven't had a problem yet. I'm not trying to say this is the right age, just letting you know my experience and outcome!
        sigpic

Mom to Harley *Great Dane* Sadie *GS/Boxer* Sneakers *Bengal Cat* Lil Bit *Munchkin Cat* Boozer *Devil Cat* and Squishy *Hedgehog*RIP

Comment

I have noticed there are MANY different opinions on the timing of spay. I was hoping the consensus would be at least before a year old. I have called a few vets in the area and one actually suggested to wait until after the first heat.

My vet said around 8 months, however, they don't do the tacking there, so she gave me a few references to call. I would feel much more comfortable having my vet do the spay, but I see no reason to put her through two separate surgeries which is going to force me to use an unfamiliar vet. Not ideal but something I'm willing to deal with for the piece of mind with getting the pexi done as well.

Last edited by jzhe333; 02-20-2012, 10:07 PM. Reason: trying to figure out adding pictures!(newbie)

Comment

You will probably find the majority here will tell you between 9 and 12 months. It is really is a great time to do the spay AND pexy.

We neutered and did a pexy at just about exactly 9 months. Went great!
            sigpic

Comment

I do want to add that on my next dane, the spay and pexy will be done together, around 9 months old. I plan on getting her pexy done as soon as I get home and I hate that I'm putting her throught two different surgeries, but the pexy is a must have for me.
              sigpic

Mom to Harley *Great Dane* Sadie *GS/Boxer* Sneakers *Bengal Cat* Lil Bit *Munchkin Cat* Boozer *Devil Cat* and Squishy *Hedgehog*RIP

Comment

Two big thumbs up. A third if you do a lap-assisted pexy lol...

Originally posted by harleylvr View Post
                I do want to add that on my next dane, the spay and pexy will be done together, around 9 months old. I plan on getting her pexy done as soon as I get home and I hate that I'm putting her throught two different surgeries, but the pexy is a must have for me.
                Warren Briggs, DVM
                www.ocvh.com
                www.youtube.com/ocvhdocs

Comment

Originally posted by briggsdvm View Post
                  A third if you do a lap-assisted pexy lol...
                  Explain please..........
                  sigpic

Comment

Explain please..........
                    LOL shameless plug for doing the pexy lap-assisted (which is the technique I use)...that's it!
                    Warren Briggs, DVM
                    www.ocvh.com
                    www.youtube.com/ocvhdocs

Comment

Originally posted by briggsdvm View Post
                      LOL shameless plug for doing the pexy lap-assisted (which is the technique I use)...that's it!
                      Lol, no, explain more. Like the difference between lap-assisted and non lap-assisted....
                      sigpic

Comment

Maybe Google will help .

Comment

Lol, no, explain more. Like the difference between lap-assisted and non lap-assisted....
                          Here goes nothing:
                          LAG = Laparoscopic-Assisted Gastropexy. The endoscope/camera system is used to help you visualize the stomach (along with the rest of the abdominal contents) and ultimately the pexy (attaching of the stomach to body wall) is done WITHOUT the aid of the scope/camera system through a 4-6cm (2-3 inch) incision across the body wall. That is to say the pexy site (surgery site) is visible from the outside of the dog after surgery (you can see the line of staples or stitches beneath which the pexy has taken place). I can do this in 30 minutes and achieve excellent results with a very cosmetic scar.

TLG = Total Laparoscopic gastropexy (non-lap assisted): The pexy or attachment of the stomach to the body wall is accomplished entirely under the direct visualization of the endoscope/camera system from within the animal. When finished, there is no scar/staples/sutures visible from the outside of the dog at the pexy location as it has all been accomplished internally. Initial studes demonstrated accomplished laparoscopic surgeons could take almost 2 hours to do this procedure but in the end there's no scar.

Does the benefit of no scar / less pain outweight the speed of a lap-assisted approach? Don't have the answer to that question but I do plan on trying a few TLG procedures to see what my operative time is like (I have yet to do one) and see if this should be my technique going forward.

Hope this helped explain the differences...
                          Warren Briggs, DVM
                          www.ocvh.com
                          www.youtube.com/ocvhdocs

Comment

Is it required for the dog to be spayed/nuetered, before, or while having pexi done? If I plan on breeding my dog(or a future dog) down the line does this mean I can't have this surgery done?

Comment

Originally posted by ariscus99 View Post
                              Is it required for the dog to be spayed/nuetered, before, or while having pexi done? If I plan on breeding my dog(or a future dog) down the line does this mean I can't have this surgery done?
                              I doubt it. Most people do the surgeries at the same time because of anesthesia.. two birds with one stone kinda thing.
                              Be the change you want to see in the world!

Odin's Adventures

Comment

Working...
                              X