bloat connection?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bloat connection?

Is there any connection that anyone is aware of that guargum and/or carrageenan may cause bloat?

I ask this because for a few weeks now I started giving my danes canned food along with their kibble and Apollo almost bloated. He was stressed out already from storms and fireworks etc. But the canned food has carrageenen and guargum in it.
    "The human language, as precise as it is with its thousands of words, can still be so wonderfully vague"....Garth Stein The Art of Racing in the Rain

Guar Gum is typically used as a thickening agent and can actually be pretty straining on the digestive system, so maybe???

As for carrageenan, both Guar and carr are used as a form of laxative in some cases. Not sure what the proportions are though. It may be too small of an amount added to the food to make a difference, but everyones/things reaction to chemicals can be very different. I would stop feeding him anything with that stuff in it. Hard to do I know....

So glad he didn't bloat. What were the symptoms? Just curious what to watch out for.

Comment

I did stop the cans and trying to find something else to boost the protein. He was panting and could not lay down for more then a few seconds and his stomach started to get firm.
      "The human language, as precise as it is with its thousands of words, can still be so wonderfully vague"....Garth Stein The Art of Racing in the Rain

Comment

I used to give Maynard the cans of Merrick dog food. His stomach would get very distended after he ate it. I put BEANO in it and it stopped it from happening. After he finished the couple cans that I had I didn't buy it again.

Comment

I gave him phazyme when this happened. He did also vomit and it was alot of liquid and also canned food but no kibble came up. That is why I thought the cans had something to do with it. I did stop the cans but I have a ton of them left. I wish I could find cans without guargum or carrageenan in it.

Comment

Chicken and eggs

Good Morning,

Hi I am the proud owner of two Great Danes, Willie Wonka & Nestle Crunch. More than once I ve heard about a diet of chicken, usually raw. However we have used scrambled eggs mixed with kibble and they love it. Ane I've yet to see any dog refuse boiled chicken in their food.

If you buy the lowest price chiken whole or parts, just rinse it, cook it and de-bone it. The broth is excellant for freezing in zip-lok bags and using on the food later. Our boys, especially on of them can be real picky at times. This has never failed to work and no digestive problems after that.

Welcome and enjoy your giant friends.

From Mom of "The Boys"

Comment

We buy this food all the time to mix in with Deuce's regular meals of Orijen and it is awesome, almost looks good enough for us to eat.

http://www.weruva.com/
              Tamara and Deuce
              sigpic

Comment

[QUOTE=sgtbekka;586893]Good Morning,

I've yet to see any dog refuse boiled chicken in their food. (quote)

Hi! Thank you, I gave them eggs and they refused to eat them And I am pretty sure that my male is allergic to chicken and eggs. What little he did eat of the egg, made him itchy.
                I think that I will try beef next.

Comment

Originally posted by Tamara View Post
                  We buy this food all the time to mix in with Deuce's regular meals of Orijen and it is awesome, almost looks good enough for us to eat.

http://www.weruva.com/
                  Thank you, I look at the web site but the canned food (beef) has guar gum in it and that's what I am trying to avoid, but thank you.

Comment

[quote=audreys;587792]
                    Originally posted by sgtbekka View Post
                    Good Morning,

I've yet to see any dog refuse boiled chicken in their food. (quote)

Hi! Thank you, I gave them eggs and they refused to eat them And I am pretty sure that my male is allergic to chicken and eggs. What little he did eat of the egg, made him itchy.
                    I think that I will try beef next.
                    the allergy may not be just the egg it could also come from hormones & antibiotics given to the chickens. or it could be a mix of different causitive coming together that taking one away stops the reaction.
                    if you have problems w/ mass produced beef, try getting freezer burnt game meat from some countryish friends, neighbors or relatives. barring that, if you can handle it, take a quarter off a roadkill deer and try that.

Comment

What is freezer burnt game?
                      I am looking into talking to some hunters about deer meat in the fall. But will have to pay for processing, and cook it. It is not legal for it to be sold where I live. Plus I don't think I could pick up road kill Although I often see them on the road
                      Today, I started them on canned salmon to get more protein in them.

I love your term "countryish" friends. You know it's funny, I would not hunt myself but I will do things for my danes that I would not do otherwise. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                      X