DOL Upgrade... costs?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DOL Upgrade... costs?

I hope no one will take this in any wrong way, but I am curious about the fundraising effort to improve DOL.

What is the expected cost breakdown for the update/upgrade? (As distinct from ongoing server/bandwidth costs for operation.)

Originally posted by DanePillow View Post
    I hope no one will take this in any wrong way, but I am curious about the fundraising effort to improve DOL.

What is the expected cost breakdown for the update/upgrade? (As distinct from ongoing server/bandwidth costs for operation.)
    I assume the biggest expense would be hiring an IT consultant.

Comment

It's just a little... unusual to ask for commercial-level cost support for online system built from free and low-cost software. Running costs (for servers and bandwidth), certainly - those can get high for a site with as many users as this one. System support itself is typically absorbed by the operator(s) and volunteers from the user pool.

Absolutely no aspersions being cast, here - I just think it's the first time I've seen a forum or interactive site at the hobbyist level ask for support for a commercial/professional upgrade. (I've been an online site operator since... well, since before there was an online. FIDONET, anyone? - and oddly enough, that had nothing to do with dogs.)

But that's why I raised the question. I could be missing something here.

Comment

Originally posted by DanePillow View Post
        Absolutely no aspersions being cast, here - I just think it's the first time I've seen a forum or interactive site at the hobbyist level ask for support for a commercial/professional upgrade..
        Really? I've seen it on almost every dog, reptile and fish forum I'm on.

Comment

I do wish they could be a little more clear about what they mean by "bigger and better".
          *Jennifer*
          Member GDC of Mid-Florida
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by GoingPostal View Post
            Me too. It's fairly common practice I would say.
            *Jennifer*
            Member GDC of Mid-Florida
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by GoingPostal View Post
              Originally posted by oceanbluedanes View Post
              Me too. It's fairly common practice I would say.
              Okay. Perhaps I'm just more used to tech-oriented forums where such things are handled by the operators or volunteers, since there's a natural overlap. With a non-tech focus, the pool of people who can rewrite a forum skin or integrate new features might be a little smaller.

Originally posted by oceanbluedanes View Post
              I do wish they could be a little more clear about what they mean by "bigger and better".
              The Kickstarter page has an ambitious list. It might be worth reposting it here in a topic, instead of just in a global notice.

A little surprised that the ops are going outside for a new logo... now that's something I'd bet the user base could handle, in a contest or just for the attaboy...

Comment

I like the logo just as it is. It's branded into MY mind as DOL forever--and the dane looks so much like my Echo. I don't want it to change
                Tracy
                sigpic
                Mouse April 2010
                Echo -- run free, Sweetie! Jan 9, 2007 - April 24, 2014 Lost to osteosarcoma at 7 years, 3 months. RIP.

Comment

Working...
                X