Hello again! Questions about rules :)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello again! Questions about rules :)

I am new to the website and I am trying to figure out the forum " etiquette" and ethics. More or less what I shouldn't do and possibly some help with lingo or terminology used thanks! Any help is much obliged!

Originally posted by AWell11 View Post
    I am new to the website and I am trying to figure out the forum " etiquette" and ethics. More or less what I shouldn't do and possibly some help with lingo or terminology used thanks! Any help is much obliged!
    Hello! Welcome to DOL! I have only been a member for about a month, but I can honestly say that I'm addicted! I have learned SOOO much information!

Here are the TOU (Terms of Use)
    http://www.danesonline.com/legal.htm

As for terminology, I cannot help you there. I only just figured out what IMO meant! (Which is "In my opinion", by the way!)

Comment

Thanks for the link! I don't want to get people bent out of shape by breaking one of the rules lol. I was really mainly wondering what BYB meant? By reading I have pretty much figured out it means ...... Umm never mind it just clicked.. I'm assuming it means back yard breeder? Lol

Comment

Originally posted by AWell11 View Post
        Thanks for the link! I don't want to get people bent out of shape by breaking one of the rules lol. I was really mainly wondering what BYB meant? By reading I have pretty much figured out it means ...... Umm never mind it just clicked.. I'm assuming it means back yard breeder? Lol
        Yes, it does mean BYB

Most people on here are extremely friendly and will just kindly tell you that you have broken a rule, but it is always a good idea to often read the TOU and keep them fresh on your mind!

Comment

I've been around DOL for about 7 years.

When I joined, I asked lots of questions, really READ the answers, and read as much as I could -- reading also the suggested readings from some of the sticky noted posts. There are some people here who are true experts on our breed, who show, win, breed, rescue, and basically know so much more than I could ever hope to know.

The best thing to do as a new member here is to ask, ask, ask. No one will ever take you to task when you ask questions. People who get into "trouble" here are those who decide in the first two months of dane ownership that they know everything....or those who are gently told to try "this" or "that" and flatly reject the suggestion out of hand; then come back moaning and groaning that what they did do didn't work....

What we here LOVE to see ? Pictures of you and your dane (and other pets) Stories about how you are doing with puppy/dog training; questions about your pup..... we are here to be a dane community, and to be helpful !!!

So, ask away !!!

Andi

Comment

read the stickies in each forum section. They have additional information.
            sigpic
            In Memory of Sky, EZ and Honor

Visit Poke's Facebook Page

Member of the GDC of MD.
            Well behaved danes are not born. They are “made” by responsible and caring dane owners.

Comment

That's good to know! Because I'm sure I will slip up again at some time lol

Comment

Hi, and welcome!
                This forum is such a big source of helpful information for dane owners, so don't be afraid to ask questions! One bit of advice I can give you is that if you really want to be helped, always be polite and respectfull to everyone who replies to your post, no matter if you agree or not. Take into consideration where that person comes from, and agree to disagree if it comes down to it. I haven't been on this forum too long, but I have seen many newbies scared away by senior members being very critical and the newbies becoming very defensive. Here are many wise people who have literally seen and heard it all, so do your best to learn from them.

With regards to the lingo, here are a few I have picked up:
                IMO = In My Opinion
                IMHO = In My Honest Opinion
                IDK = I Don't Know
                and the most important one: DRI = Dane Related Injury
                And the most important rule of all: LOTS OF PICTURES!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MonaLisa View Post
                  the most important one: DRI = Dane Related Injury
                  ohhhh so true!!!!!

another one: btw = by the way
                  [SIGPIC]

Comment

I just figured out AOAC is "all other acceptable colors" (showring acronym). I had to look a little to find that one.
                    Tracy
                    sigpic
                    Mouse April 2010
                    Echo -- run free, Sweetie! Jan 9, 2007 - April 24, 2014 Lost to osteosarcoma at 7 years, 3 months. RIP.

Comment

Great advice from MonaLisa

Hawk & Roadkingsigpic

Comment

And does NDR mean " not dane related?"

Comment

Lol DRI... I'm sure I will be posting that a lot!
                          I can't stand it either when people are so closed minded to what others have to say. I am all ears, and I want to learn more about the breed, showing, training, and just everything in general lol I can say as a newbie and someone who has been a " senior member" in other situations that I also can't stand it when a senior member try's to belittle your opinion just because you are a newbie. I think mutual respect should be given, and while the senior member has had more experience they havnt had necessarily the same experiences.. Lol I've had a few wild ones myself! But I'm dont like confrontation and I am here to learn and make friends as soon as I get more pictures I will definitely be posting them!! I am a talker and story teller at heart.. So you will be hearing a lot from me!! Haha.. Thanks for all of the advice!!

Comment

TOTW is Taste of the Wild (mostly posted in the kibble section)
                            ~ Erin ~
                            "People don't buy what you do; they buy why you do it. And what you do simply proves what you believe." - Simon Sinek
                            sigpic

Comment

Yea I probably wouldn't have figured that one out! Lol

Comment

Working...
                              X