My sisters Shepherd is here!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My sisters Shepherd is here!

So my sister is away and I am watching her almost 8 month old Shepherd (the one that tried herding my Dane and gave him a nice laceration) and pitbull. The pit is my girl and is so easy but OH MY GOODNESS the shepherd never stops! I swear he has never ending energy. He is SUPER high drive. Like ridiculous. Thank god for the flirt pole. I run him a few times a day along with all the obedience training and mental stimulation. He is like the energizer bunny. I honestly think he would drive me nuts if I had to deal with this all the time! hehe. He has no impulse control. I have been doing every impulse control exercise I can think of with him. He loses his mind at times. It took me probably 10minutes just to get out one door today. I refused to release him to go out until he waited calmly. It took probably five minutes just to get him to stop jumping the door. We also worked on a settle command. He cannot be free with my dogs because he has no manners and cannot read doggy body language very well (or doesn't care). My Dane growls every time he walks by him and the Shepherd attempts to initiate play but instead of doing so in a respectable way, he goes right to bite the legs! That resulted in a pretty harsh vocalization from my Dane which is when I seperated them. He does a little better with my swiss mountain dog but as soon as they start to actually play he goes right to hump her at which point she corrects him and that ends it. So he is monitored and managed at all times. He also has some serious resource guarding with dogs which I don't have time to fix but will start working on a plan when my sister gets back. Great with people and very good with the kids thank god! I can safely say I will never own a high drive herding breed. Just not the type of dog for me.

Waiting for me to throw his toy. The intensity of this dog!

Working on his settle with other dogs in the room. Laying still is NOT an easy task for him.

He sure is pretty though
    Last edited by karenNJ; 05-02-2016, 07:00 PM.
    sigpic

I choose to observe German shepherds from afar. They are one of the very few breeds that actually scare me. They are too hard to read, and I can't stand how nippy they are. Don't get me wrong, they are beautiful dogs, but I will never have one nor allow my dogs to play with one.

He is a gorgeous dog though, I love his coloring. Hope the training continues to go well, and hopefully you can find something to wear him out.
    ~Kelsey, mom to~
    Kumah-merle Great Dane 4 years
    Nala-fawn Great Dane 2 months
    Cece- Calico 4 years
    Sammy- Black Domestic Long Hair 3 years
    Tyke- 4 months

Comment

A teenager with a high prey drive....yikes! You sister is lucky to have such a good resource in you!
      sigpicKelly

Comment

Originally posted by Kumah View Post
        I choose to observe German shepherds from afar. They are one of the very few breeds that actually scare me. They are too hard to read, and I can't stand how nippy they are. Don't get me wrong, they are beautiful dogs, but I will never have one nor allow my dogs to play with one.

He is a gorgeous dog though, I love his coloring. Hope the training continues to go well, and hopefully you can find something to wear him out.
        Yea, I agree. There are only a few pure breed sheps I know that actually get on well with other dogs. They are hard to read because they are so intense. It is hard to tell if it is intense excitement, I want to play or intense I want to hurt you! lol.
        sigpic

Comment

And I will never have one either! I can understand why so many have issues. They are not an easy breed to begin with and in the hands of a novice could be a disaster.
          sigpic

Comment

Working...
          X