Chance has an ultrasound tomorrow...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chance has an ultrasound tomorrow...

You guys have always been so supportive whenever I've had an issue with Chance, even though he's not a Dane, so thought I'd post here to ask for good thoughts for him for his ultrasound tomorrow.

One of Chance's liver values has been elevated, (ALP), and we were monitoring it with blood draws every month. All other values were fine...until his last panel that was done last Friday. Got results on Monday and one of his other liver values is now up. So I immediately made an appointment for an ultrasound. They're going to look at everything including his heart and lungs.

Please think good thoughts, I'm very nervous because he has been moaning off and on for weeks and we can't figure out why. I had him X rayed for arthritis and it showed that his ED is worse and he also had arthritis in his hocks. Thought we knew why at that point, upped his Rimadyl and started him on Tramadol. Well, he was still moaning, even on the Tramadol, so I stopped the extra Rimadyl weeks ago, (his values were fine at that point except for his ALP).

So, we thought his teeth, but he eats okay, no drooling or pawing at his mouth at all. He has also had an occasional deep gagging cough. Not kennel cough, he is never around other dogs and this cough sounds way different. It's been happening for awhile. That's why I want them to look at everything. If things look good I'll schedule a dental to rule his teeth out being the cause.

Please, please think good thoughts for him. He's everything to me and I would totally lose it if something is wrong...
    Karen, Chance, Lucy and Savanah RB

sigpic

Bummer! It just stinks when our babies are not well! I am so sorry this is even an issue. I'll keep Chance in my thoughts and prayers.

Also, check with Tracy (Mnmouse). One of her dogs was a senior with a liver issue and she helped him a lot with some thing.... I want to say milk thistle. You'd have to ask her. I just know she had success in helping his liver values.

Keep us updated on what you find out!
    sigpic

Comment

Yes, massive doses of milk thistle. He was around 80# and getting 1200 mg a day to start out.

Jackson totally went off his food, though. Three weeks of nothing but water and small amounts of canned cat food. The vet didn't have a lot of answers except an appetite stimulant at week one, so I started the milk thistle at that time. He finally started eating kibbles and bits, of all things, at week three (about two weeks into the milk thistle) and was eating normally (ground raw) at six weeks. Two month check up, liver counts were coming back into line, six months--back to normal. I can't be sure the milk thistle is what helped, all I know is that he recovered and his liver amounts stayed fine ever after. The vet was stumped and we didn't do the ultrasound since he came around.

Good luck with your boy.
      Tracy
      sigpic
      Mouse April 2010
      Echo -- run free, Sweetie! Jan 9, 2007 - April 24, 2014 Lost to osteosarcoma at 7 years, 3 months. RIP.

Comment

Yes, thanks...we're starting him on both milk thistle and SAM-e. She said to put him on 800-1000 mgs of SAM-e and 200-250 mgs of milk thistle.

sigpic

Comment

Sending good thoughts your way - I hope his ultrasound goes well. Chance is the poster-Golden here on DOL, after all! 😊
          -Lisa (Zoomer's mom)

Comment

Sending more good thoughts ~ ~ ~ ~
            sigpic

Comment

Sending good thoughts and prayers
              sigpic
              Willow and Liv

Comment

Sending a big hug and tons of good thoughts for you and chance!
                sigpicKelly

Comment

Originally posted by lisacp75 View Post
                  ...Chance is the poster-Golden here on DOL, after all! 😊
                  That's so sweet...thank you.

sigpic

Comment

Thanks so much, everyone. Chance and I appreciate your good thoughts more than I can express in words...

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by kwhit View Post
                      Yes, thanks...we're starting him on both milk thistle and SAM-e. She said to put him on 800-1000 mgs of SAM-e and 200-250 mgs of milk thistle.
                      I'd double the milk thistle, but I'm not a vet. I also didn't use SAM-e simply because I didn't know it might help. Maybe the combo works better than larger doses of just MT alone. So don't listen to me All I know is that larger doses of MT won't be harmful.
                      Tracy
                      sigpic
                      Mouse April 2010
                      Echo -- run free, Sweetie! Jan 9, 2007 - April 24, 2014 Lost to osteosarcoma at 7 years, 3 months. RIP.

Comment

*fingers crossed* for you and Chance.
                        sigpic

Kiizhik-LabXRotti (1999-2012) R.I.P. baby girl.
                        Gimaakwe-LabX (2004-
                        Deaglan-Dane (May 2008-Feb 26, 2016) RIP My Sweet Boy.
                        Jadzia-Dane (2010-
                        Gallagher-Irish Wolfhound (Dec 4, 2016-

Comment

Prayers for you

Comment

Okay...Chance's ALP on 2/4 was 229, (range 5-160 u/l). This past one on 3/11 was 354. His ALT on 2/4 was 53, (range 18-121 u/l). The latest was 161. AST was normal both times.

They found a nodule on the left side of his liver that the radiologist said was "2cm diameter subtly marginated, non-expansive and non-cavitary hyperehoic nodule in the left liver with no features typical of malignancy and suspect to be regenerative". So I feel much better, but still being cautious with it.

So, we're doing another ultrasound in 3 months, (the radiologist said 6, but Chance's vet felt more comfortable with 3 and so do I). And we'll do more blood work in one. Does that sound okay?

What do you guys think about how his ALP and his ALT values keep going up?

sigpic

Comment

How old is he? How did his adrenal glands look? I'd wonder about Cushing's disease in which case one or both would be enlarged.
                              Any increased thirst or urination?
                              sigpic
                              Crystal
                              Owned by:
                              Dexter 8 year old GD, CGC
                              CH xxx's Top Gear AKA Studebaker (Baker) 4 years
                              Bagel 19 yr old Maine Coon
                              Lox 11 yr old Russian Blue mix

Comment

Working...
                              X