Age or lazy or a little of both??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Age or lazy or a little of both??

My dads Dalmatian, who's 12 years old now, has been giving him absolute fits for the last couple of years. I think some is age related but it could be laziness or even pain, idk. Tell me what y'all think.

A few things to help y'all get a "feel" for the situation:
    1) She was diagnosed with renal failure a year or so ago and according to dad, that requires her to drink more (part of the problem).
    2) She had a cyst or something (can't remember ) removed from her hind leg and dad believes the vet cut into her muscle unnecessarily and that has caused her to have problems in that leg from time to time.
    3) She is overweight and I mean BIG. Her boobs sag and she's never had a litter. It takes her a bit to get off the couch as she puts her front legs down and then pauses, almost like she's bracing or preparing herself, and then she'll slide her hind legs off till they're touching. She has a thyroid issue and he's fought with her weight issue for YEARS. She gets fed twice a day and it's fairly small portions. She HAS lost some weight, enough to notice, but she's still heavy.

Ok, the problems;
    A) She pees on herself on a regular basis. She'll be laying on the couch or the bed and just pee. Other times she'll go outside.
    B) When she goes outside, she will ONLY pee or poop on the sidewalk or driveway, she REFUSES to go in the grass anymore.
    C) She has, on occasion, continued to walk as she's peeing and/or pooping.
    D) A few times, Dad has let her out as she's acted like she's needed to go out, waited about 10 minutes and then brought her back in, for her to immediately head for the kitchen to poop.

She still has a voracious appetite and is very animated once she gets up, it's just mainly the issues I mentioned. She was house-trained until just a few years ago and this started happening. She was taken to the vet, found she had a UTI and was treated and cleared but the "symptoms" never went away.

Thoughts?

Sent from my SCH-I400 using Tapatalk 2
    My Blog: My Fur-Real Life

sigpic

*Jennifer*
    Wife to John, Mom to McKayla and Chris
    Owned by Katie and Rio

I'd have her rechecked for a UTI and revisit with the vet the whole issue. Our senior dog who was urinating on himself (and many other similiar symptoms)had suspected cushings. Just throwing it out there because you are describing similiar issues we had. Due to his advanced age of a month shy of 15 and other health issues (almost blind and senile), we PTS rather then treat. Her weight could also be part of that. Bulging / sagging belly is a symptom of cushings. So is excessive thirst and urination as well as lethargy. Increased appetite is also a symptom of cushings. Don't confuse a good appetite with good health. Her back leg could be a symptom of cushings too.

I don't think peeing on herself is being lazy. That would have to be one VERY lazy dog.

I'd place my bet on cushings. Here is a link my vet sent me with great information. I think you are going to recognize your dads dog in a LOT of these symptoms.

http://www.kateconnick.com/library/cushingsdisease.html
    Last edited by Angel7292; 04-25-2012, 11:44 PM.
    sigpic

Comment

Thank you!! I'll pass this info along to him and hopefully things will get resolved.

As far as the being lazy part, it was a joke. I know no dog would intentionally lay in their own urine just b/c they didn't feel like getting up.

sigpic

*Jennifer*
      Owned by Katie and Rio

Comment

Being overweight can cause pain in the muscles and joints in the legs, it can make a dog not want to walk farther then necessary (not wanting to walk far enough to get to grass). However a dog not realizing it is peeing is more of a uti or even incontinence issue. Is this dog spayed? Some females get spay incontinence as the age. Has the dog been on steroids? Steroids caused my 4 yr old dane (at the time) to be somewhat incontinent. She would pee when she was sleeping. We gave her DES for a while to help tighten up those muscles again and she was fine after that. There is also a drug called Proin which can help w/ urinary incontinence. I would test for a uti first and then look into the incontinence issue next. Sometimes a uti will need more then one treatment to fix the problem. Adding apple cider vinegar to food or water or adding cranberry supplements to her food can help. These make the urine more acidic which will help to kill off and keep that bacteria in check.
        Michele
        Mom to: Angel huskyx (3/15/2001), Lestat labx (12/1/2001), Mystra beaglex (04/01/2005), Merlin airedale (08/01/2012)
        RIP my loves:
        Isis (dane) (7/1/2005-11/5/2011), Venus (dane) (9/1/02-06/24/13)

Comment

Just an update: I told Dad about Cushings disease and gave him the link Angel7292 posted. After reading it, he sees her displaying a LOT of the symptoms. He's supposed to get her an appt scheduled with his vet to check it out. When he does, I'll let y'all know what she says. Thanks!

sigpic

*Jennifer*
          Owned by Katie and Rio

Comment

Working...
          X